Main Menu

COP26

Started by Barry, November 01, 2021, 09:37:32 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on November 02, 2021, 05:59:32 PM
It seems Macron has headed home for an early bath. That's how important the climate is to him.
Yep he'll be playing with toy submarines in the bath.  :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

It seems Macron has headed home for an early bath. That's how important the climate is to him.

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on November 02, 2021, 05:33:44 PM
Thatcher left office over 30 years ago. But while she was PM she supported climate protection policies; the founding of the Hadley Centre for Climate Research; the setting up of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change; and the ratification of the Montreal protocol on preserving the ozone. So she was hardly a non believer or philistine when it came to climate matters...
The point I made was that by the time she departed, six hour commutes from the nether regions of the outer home counties were THE NORM as barely anyone below the salary level of merchant banker could afford to live within 50-75 miles of the city and other metropolitan areas were starting to get just as bad but without londons transport infrastructure.

When Callaghan came back from Guadeloupe and said crisis, what crisis, commuters piling up 60,000 miles a year like dad were countable on the cheeks of one arse. By the time Major took over it was the norm for high skill workers to have to commute huge distances 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-minister-wheelchair-gains-access-cop26-day-late-2021-11-02/

No one has more sympathy for cripples and assorted freeloaders than I have, particularly since I am one. But surely it should not be beyond the mother wit of the PM of Israel to hail a cab with disability access or is she just that desperate to appear a victim? Stupid cow.

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 02, 2021, 05:52:53 AM
Why ?

Its pointless. The people who could make a difference are not there, not interested in being there, and not interested in doing what Greta rants they should. But that's because in their country it is still legal to spank petulant children, or.marry them off as child brides I'm not sure which she deserves most ....
I was thinking John if there was an insulate china movement and they glued themselves to the road they'd probably tarmac over them and use them as traffic calming measures.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 02, 2021, 05:10:10 PM
Oh well I suppose if we are going there, until Thatcher destroyed the housing and the jobs, the descendants of the enclosure act victims had work within a long walk or short bus ride of their dwelling.

All pretense at that ended about the time maggie started  planning the M25
Thatcher left office over 30 years ago. But while she was PM she supported climate protection policies; the founding of the Hadley Centre for Climate Research; the setting up of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change; and the ratification of the Montreal protocol on preserving the ozone. So she was hardly a non believer or philistine when it came to climate matters...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on November 02, 2021, 04:49:46 PM
Were you really expecting more interest here?

There's about a dozen regulars on this forum, of which one third are either too biassed, obsessed, or away with the pixies to debate and make any rational input about any topic, leaving the remaining few to chat about their infirmities, try a bit of humour and — very occasionally — make a point that may or may not be valid and might try to stir things up.

Commenting on the numbers of people, planes and cars for a two-week UN Climate Change Conference in Glasgow seems to me to be missing the point.

The problem is there are  8,000,000,000 people, 1,500,000,000 vehicles and 25,000 planes in the world.  In the UK alone, 300,000 people travel in and out of London every day — and even 42,000 travel in and out of Reading daily. Each one of these people (us) and (our) things is contributing to, and demanding, daily damage to the planet at a quicker rate than it's able to repair.

It's taken 30 years to get the majority of the world's leaders, and about half its population, to take climate change this seriously. So were you really expecting the motley collection that makes up Pol-Tics.com to act any differently...?
Oh well I suppose if we are going there, until Thatcher destroyed the housing and the jobs, the descendants of the enclosure act victims had work within a long walk or short bus ride of their dwelling. 

All pretense at that ended about the time maggie started  planning the M25
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry on November 01, 2021, 09:37:32 PM
Considering the COP26 conference is close to home, in Glasgow, I expected more interest on this forum. But then, I thought, perhaps we are all out of discussion on anthropogenic global warming. You see, either people believe in AGW or they don't. Those that sit on the fence won't be bothered.
Joe Biden cares:
USA will lead by example
Joe took Airforce one and a cavalcade of about 85 gas guzzlers to Glasgow to show us how he leads by an example.

26,000 people gathering from all over the world. They are truly a paradox.
Were you really expecting more interest here? 

There's about a dozen regulars on this forum, of which one third are either too biassed, obsessed, or away with the pixies to debate and make any rational input about any topic, leaving the remaining few to chat about their infirmities, try a bit of humour and — very occasionally — make a point that may or may not be valid and might try to stir things up.

Commenting on the numbers of people, planes and cars for a two-week UN Climate Change Conference in Glasgow seems to me to be missing the point.

The problem is there are  8,000,000,000 people, 1,500,000,000 vehicles and 25,000 planes in the world.  In the UK alone, 300,000 people travel in and out of London every day — and even 42,000 travel in and out of Reading daily. Each one of these people (us) and (our) things is contributing to, and demanding, daily damage to the planet at a quicker rate than it's able to repair. 

It's taken 30 years to get the majority of the world's leaders, and about half its population, to take climate change this seriously. So were you really expecting the motley collection that makes up Pol-Tics.com to act any differently...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 02, 2021, 05:52:53 AM
Why ?

Its pointless. The people who could make a difference are not there, not interested in being there, and not interested in doing what Greta rants they should. But that's because in their country it is still legal to spank petulant children, or.marry them off as child brides I'm not sure which she deserves most ....

Exactly.

Teenage girls should be of interest to teenage boys. The rest of us should be happy to discover that the monosyllabic thing she keeps bringing home is actually studying something useful. Alright, it is only chemistry which to me is no more than advanced cooking, but it is a start.

The problem is that I am all for saving the planet and hugging trees, but most eco warriors make my piles bleed.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Considering the COP26 conference is close to home, in Glasgow, I expected more interest on this forum.

Why ?

Its pointless. The people who could make a difference are not there, not interested in being there, and not interested in doing what Greta rants they should. But that's because in their country it is still legal to spank petulant children, or.marry them off as child brides I'm not sure which she deserves most ....

Borchester

To be fair, the sun is shining, which must be a first for Glasgow. I think Boris definitely deserves the credit for that. :)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Considering the COP26 conference is close to home, in Glasgow, I expected more interest on this forum. But then, I thought, perhaps we are all out of discussion on anthropogenic global warming. You see, either people believe in AGW or they don't. Those that sit on the fence won't be bothered.
Joe Biden cares:
USA will lead by example
Joe took Airforce one and a cavalcade of about 85 gas guzzlers to Glasgow to show us how he leads by an example.

Something like 400 jet aircraft from all over the place - they ran out of parking for them. Biden flew 85 cars to Rome but cut it to about 25 I believe in Glasgow. Perhaps Glasgow doesn't have the same appeal as Rome for the hangers on. They are greeted by Greta with a foul mouthed rant and the Queen appropriately dressed in green requests that the politicians rise above current politics and achieve real statesmanship. 
Poor Ma'am I fear it's a vain hope. Biden was caught 'resting' his eyes during early speeches until a handler whispered in his ear and India can't cope until 2070.
How will this motley crew persuade every person on the planet to do their bit? Will they stop deforestation? Will they stop mining? Will they drop their jets and their cavalcades? Will they put the planet before profit and power? The last question may well be the most important.

Barry

Joe Biden cares:
USA will lead by example

† The end is nigh †