Main Menu

COP26

Started by Barry, November 01, 2021, 09:37:32 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 04, 2021, 08:01:30 PM
You are barely rational on such subjects, choosing to believe what you want to believe in defiance of science worldwide - aside from a few mavericks whom you cling to. You suffer from a total credibility gap on this subject in my eyes and are barely worth the effort, somewhat akin to a flat earther.

The last word is yours. I'm done.
lol

Im the one posting facts, you're just ducking every one. 
If my science is so flaky it should be a piece of cake to pick it apart then!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2021, 07:53:33 PM
CFC's were banned 20 years ago, yet this hole was at it's biggest in August last year and has now closed. I suppose that kind of science fits perfectly with your non-existent climate science.

The 2020 Antarctic ozone hole grew rapidly from mid-August and peaked at around 24.8 million square kilometres on 20 September 2020, spreading over most of the Antarctic continent.
You are barely rational on such subjects, choosing to believe what you want to believe in defiance of science worldwide - aside from a few mavericks whom you cling to. You suffer from a total credibility gap on this subject in my eyes and are barely worth the effort, somewhat akin to a flat earther.

The last word is yours. I'm done.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 04, 2021, 07:25:53 PMI have presented some of the science before but you buried your head in the sand and pretended I hadn't.
No you haven't, you posted some links that contained zero science. I did point this out at the time but you just ignored it.

Quote from: Nick on October 01, 2021, 09:44:08 AM
Cop out post.

I've read all your links and they don't contain any science. Saying they do doesn't make it so.
You never responded to this!!

So where is the science seeing as you are so convinced it has some?

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 04, 2021, 07:25:53 PMAs for the ozone hole, that has mostly closed because humanity, following the science, took effective action to ban the use of CFCs worldwide which were causing the problem.

That's what happens when we follow the science and act on it

CFC's were banned 20 years ago, yet this hole was at it's biggest in August last year and has now closed. I suppose that kind of science fits perfectly with your non-existent climate science.

The 2020 Antarctic ozone hole grew rapidly from mid-August and peaked at around 24.8 million square kilometres on 20 September 2020, spreading over most of the Antarctic continent. 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2021, 07:14:25 PM
The scientists whose salaries depend on there being a problem?

2 things: Firstly you just ignored the scientific facts that I stated, clearly showing you have no answer to them. And secondly, we are now a month down the line and you have still failed to show any science proving man made CO2 is responsible for a single degree of temperature rise.

Oh, and BTW, where's the big hole in the ozone layer over the poles that was going to wipe us out gone?
I'll tell you... It's completely closed :)

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/record-breaking-2020-ozone-hole-closes

And as I pointed out ages ago, Methane will be the next nasty gas to be blamed.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02287-y
I have presented some of the science before but you buried your head in the sand and pretended I hadn't.  And you try and claim greater knowledge than the scientists on the basis of a massive and utterly unproven conspiracy theory according to which all the scientists are lying to us because of the money, lol.

As for the ozone hole, that has mostly closed because humanity, following the science, took effective action to ban the use of CFCs worldwide which were causing the problem.

That's what happens when we follow the science and act on it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 04, 2021, 05:56:43 PMDo you think you are both more knowledgeable and more intelligent than most of the world's leading scientists?
The scientists whose salaries depend on there being a problem?

2 things: Firstly you just ignored the scientific facts that I stated, clearly showing you have no answer to them. And secondly, we are now a month down the line and you have still failed to show any science proving man made CO2 is responsible for a single degree of temperature rise.

Oh, and BTW, where's the big hole in the ozone layer over the poles that was going to wipe us out gone?
I'll tell you... It's completely closed :)

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/record-breaking-2020-ozone-hole-closes

And as I pointed out ages ago, Methane will be the next nasty gas to be blamed.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02287-y

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2021, 05:33:06 PM
I agree, there is a strong correlation. Unfortunately for you it's the wrong way round, CO2 lags temperature by about 800 years, meaning CO2 is a product of temperature increase and not the driver.

Also, every time it rains CO2 is collected and taken either into the sea or deep underground and locked away in rocks.
You are a classic denialist. Quoting denialist supposed science - or offering nothing at all as here.

Tell me. Do you think you are both more knowledgeable and more intelligent than most of the world's leading scientists? On what basis do you make such a laughable claim? What makes you think you are right and all those in the field vastly more knowledgable and intelligent than you are wrong? Generally it tends to be those who fear a threat to their current ideological world view - or just those who verge on being conspiracy theorists - who claim on the basis of no credible qualifications at all that they know more than the world's top scientists. And they tend to think that quoting supposed evidence from a few cranks is supposed to convince the rest of us.

Nick, I am not buyying the shite you are trying to sell us because it is grade A poop.

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on November 04, 2021, 04:56:51 PM
Air contains about 0.04% carbon dioxide, which is said to be a bit above the natural level that would exist without man-made emissions. Simple lab experiments show that adding CO2 to air causes it to absorb more heat and retain that heat for longer. There are several such videos on YouTube. Although CO2 only makes up a tiny part of the atmosphere, without it global temperatures would plummet because of its insulating effect. But add a tiny amount and it causes temperatures to rise. The warmer air would be able to hold more water vapour, which is also a greenhouse gas, magnifying the effect. 

If the climate warms then some parts of the world might have a more pleasant climate but deserts and drought areas are likely to increase and melting Antarctic and Greenland icecaps will cause sea levels to rise. Just suppose all that ice melted, which is highly unlikely, then global sea levels would rise by about 70 metres. But if they rise by even a few metres that's going to effect large numbers of people in low-lying coastal areas.

[highlight]Despite the strong correlation between rising global temperatures and CO2 emissions since the 1980s[/highlight], there was an outside chance it could be coincidental and the temperature rise is natural. But that chance diminishes with each year that the trends continue side-by-side.
I agree, there is a strong correlation. Unfortunately for you it's the wrong way round, CO2 lags temperature by about 800 years, meaning CO2 is a product of temperature increase and not the driver. 

Also, every time it rains CO2 is collected and taken either into the sea or deep underground and locked away in rocks. 

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on November 04, 2021, 04:56:51 PM
Air contains about 0.04% carbon dioxide, which is said to be a bit above the natural level that would exist without man-made emissions. Simple lab experiments show that adding CO2 to air causes it to absorb more heat and retain that heat for longer. There are several such videos on YouTube. Although CO2 only makes up a tiny part of the atmosphere, without it global temperatures would plummet because of its insulating effect. But add a tiny amount and it causes temperatures to rise. The warmer air would be able to hold more water vapour, which is also a greenhouse gas, magnifying the effect. 

If the climate warms then some parts of the world might have a more pleasant climate but deserts and drought areas are likely to increase and melting Antarctic and Greenland icecaps will cause sea levels to rise. Just suppose all that ice melted, which is highly unlikely, then global sea levels would rise by about 70 metres. But if they rise by even a few metres that's going to effect large numbers of people in low-lying coastal areas.

Despite the strong correlation between rising global temperatures and CO2 emissions since the 1980s, there was an outside chance it could be coincidental and the temperature rise is natural. But that chance diminishes with each year that the trends continue side-by-side.
So what you're saying is that you've searched the internet for anything showing the science and you can't find any? So you thought you'd give a primary school analysis of how the science works?

So answer this. If additional CO2 in the upper atmosphere is causing the Earth to increase in temperature then it must be the greenhouse effect that is causing it. And if that is the case then it's the upper atmosphere that is trapping the heat so the warming would be seen in the upper atmosphere. But it's not, so how do you explain that?

The Earth also uses a mechanism of closed loop control, whereby the effect of one thing increases, causes another thing which In turn dampens the first thing. A slight hysteresis occurs obviously. 

Are you trying to tell me that a gas that makes up 0.04% of the atmosphere, which is being added to in total by all CO2 production on the Earth to the tune of 5%, of which man is producing 5% is causing the earths control to spiral? Man's 1/10000th of a percent is causing the warming of the Earth?

Are you suggesting that the Earth, that has a wobble inside a wobble inside another wobble, orbiting a sun that has Sun spot cycles, that is orbiting around a galaxy, that is wizzing through space has no bearing whatsoever ever on how our climate changes?

Shall I tell you the real science? "Nigel, go and find me a reason to shut these pits down", "Found it". Excellent says Mr scientists, I can ride this gravy train for years, just put climate somewhere in my grant application and the moneys guaranteed. 

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2021, 12:02:32 AM
Is somebody ever going to show the science that proves this? Cause up til now there has been none forthcoming.

If the climate warms then some parts of the world might have a more pleasant climate but deserts and drought areas are likely to increase and melting Antarctic and Greenland icecaps will cause sea levels to rise. Just suppose all that ice melted, which is highly unlikely, then global sea levels would rise by about 70 metres. But if they rise by even a few metres that's going to effect large numbers of people in low-lying coastal areas.

Despite the strong correlation between rising global temperatures and CO2 emissions since the 1980s, there was an outside chance it could be coincidental and the temperature rise is natural. But that chance diminishes with each year that the trends continue side-by-side.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on November 03, 2021, 11:18:05 PMWhat we're doing is upsetting the balance of the biosphere
Is somebody ever going to show the science that proves this? Cause up til now there has been none forthcoming.

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on November 03, 2021, 11:18:05 PM
The M25 was under construction when Margaret Thatcher was still snatching free school milk from children. First bits were constructed in the early 1970s. The motorway had been on the cards for over a decade and in the end it was formed from sections of two of London's proposed 'ringways'.

Re global warming - two statements that show a lack of unserstanding are:
1. "We're killing the planet" - er . . . no, it would take a very large asteroid to do that. What we're doing is upsetting the balance of the biosphere, which is like a kind of mould growing on the surface of the planet.  It will have bad consequences for many people, but the planet will survive, just like Mars, Venus etc. have survived.
2. "Climate change is nonsense! And what about volcanoes?" - er . . .no, all the evidence shows it's happening in line with scientists' predictions.
Well you got it partly right.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HDQQ

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 02, 2021, 05:10:10 PM
Oh well I suppose if we are going there, until Thatcher destroyed the housing and the jobs, the descendants of the enclosure act victims had work within a long walk or short bus ride of their dwelling.

All pretense at that ended about the time maggie started  planning the M25
The M25 was under construction when Margaret Thatcher was still snatching free school milk from children. First bits were constructed in the early 1970s. The motorway had been on the cards for over a decade and in the end it was formed from sections of two of London's proposed 'ringways'.

Re global warming - two statements that show a lack of unserstanding are:
1. "We're killing the planet" - er . . . no, it would take a very large asteroid to do that. What we're doing is upsetting the balance of the biosphere, which is like a kind of mould growing on the surface of the planet.  It will have bad consequences for many people, but the planet will survive, just like Mars, Venus etc. have survived.
2. "Climate change is nonsense! And what about volcanoes?" - er . . .no, all the evidence shows it's happening in line with scientists' predictions. 

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

Maybe I should have posted it's fun, rather than he's worth...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 03, 2021, 07:29:40 PM
Well, you have to admit he's worth taking the piss out of occasionally...
When anyone resorts to that it means they have lost the argument.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe