Claudia Webbe: MP convicted of harassment gets suspended sentence

Started by papasmurf, November 04, 2021, 05:15:11 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on November 04, 2021, 10:36:19 PM
I doubt she will go quietly. As the magistrate said, she sees herself as a victim, rather than the convicted criminal that she really is.

This case has all the classic hallmarks of a labour party carpetbagger being dropped into some safe seat by central office.

From what i read barry , the local labour party felt they had a decent candidate but this creature Webbe was dropped on them as "a friend of jeremy".

They wanted an indian candidate , but they got the wrong brand of "diversity" instead , not to mention everything else about her.

What a disgusting creature this woman really is.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 11:00:17 AMI have to wonder why politics in general attracts so many dodgy characters.
Perhaps because anyone with principles they are prepared to stand by gets nowhere or is soon taken down if they get anywhere. The main prerequisite for success in politics tends to be an ability to lie convincingly with apparent conviction and to toe the party line. Having to toe the party line to get on guarantees that mostly only careerists in it for themselves ever succeed. People who would not let any principle stand in their way. Whilst the ability to lie convincingly is something that amoral sociopaths tend to be best at.

Which is why we have the mostly worthless and utterly untrustworthy politicians we have now. It was sadly probably ever thus, but does seem to have gotten worse in recent decades.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 06, 2021, 10:57:37 AM
Well the current shower in charge of the party still seem to think it is 1997, so on that basis think Vaz id ok. If they select him they really do prove what many ex-party members like me have always thought about centrist careerists. They are no better than the Tories.
I have to wonder why politics in general attracts so many dodgy characters.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 08:43:32 AMNo it is comment about the stupidity of Labour if they have Vaz has a candidate.
Well the current shower in charge of the party still seem to think it is 1997, so on that basis think Vaz id ok. If they select him they really do prove what many ex-party members like me have always thought about centrist careerists. They are no better than the Tories.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2021, 08:36:58 AM
Is that a positive post about the Conservatives?  Dancing
No it is comment about the stupidity of Labour if they have Vaz has a candidate.

Don't give your enemy ammunition they can shoot you with.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 08:33:13 AM
If Vaz stands, the Tories will use his past against him. (I really don't blame them for that.)
Is that a positive post about the Conservatives?  Dancing

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 05, 2021, 09:17:35 PM
You think that's relevant? 
If Vaz stands, the Tories will use his past against him. (I really don't blame them for that.)

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on November 05, 2021, 11:43:44 AM
Keith Vaz!!!!!!!!?  Obviously Labour want the Tories to win.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50212221

Labour MP Keith Vaz faces six-month suspension after drug and sex probe

Published28 October 2019

Labour MP Keith Vaz "disregarded" the law by "expressing a willingness" to help buy cocaine for male prostitutes, the Commons standards body has found.

It said there was "compelling evidence" he offered to pay for a class A drug and had paid-for sex in August 2016.
It is recommending he be suspended for six months after he was "evasive and unhelpful" during the investigation.
Mr Vaz would not comment on his future but said he was receiving treatment for a serious mental health condition.

You think that's relevant? There's been a new MP and Covid to take voters' minds of those shenanigans in the two years since. I'd watch out for Gorgeous George in any contest to get some indication of what's happening...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2021, 02:10:21 AM
I do believe that if this was the other way round and it had been a man doing the stalking there would have been jail time.
I suspect you are probably right.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 05, 2021, 11:31:43 AMthe ex-MP Keith Vaz is already active,

Keith Vaz!!!!!!!!?  Obviously Labour want the Tories to win.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50212221

Labour MP Keith Vaz faces six-month suspension after drug and sex probe

Published28 October 2019

Labour MP Keith Vaz "disregarded" the law by "expressing a willingness" to help buy cocaine for male prostitutes, the Commons standards body has found.

It said there was "compelling evidence" he offered to pay for a class A drug and had paid-for sex in August 2016.
It is recommending he be suspended for six months after he was "evasive and unhelpful" during the investigation.
Mr Vaz would not comment on his future but said he was receiving treatment for a serious mental health condition.

patman post

Webbe appears to have anger management and other mental issues. It would be best if she resigned. But if she doesn't, Labour is likely to urge the local party to organise a recall once all Webbe's threatened appeals have been heard and her conviction is not overturned.

One of my colleagues who's from the area says local gossip is that local Labour is already preparing for a by-election but there are a few twists — the ex-MP Keith Vaz is already active, but whether for himself or a relative isn't clear, and George Galloway is said to be readying himself to stand...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 05, 2021, 01:01:08 AM
She was never going to be imprisoned

With a suspoended sentence there is no way a pissed off electorate can trigger one of these

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05089/

Had she been thrown into jail for any length of time at all the process could be triggered if enough people were pissed off at her.
I do believe that if this was the other way round and it had been a man doing the stalking there would have been jail time.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

She was never going to be imprisoned

With a suspoended sentence there is no way a pissed off electorate can trigger one of these

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05089/

Had she been thrown into jail for any length of time at all the process could be triggered if enough people were pissed off at her.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

I doubt she will go quietly. As the magistrate said, she sees herself as a victim, rather than the convicted criminal that she really is.
† The end is nigh †