Main Menu

What if?

Started by cromwell, November 04, 2021, 07:51:13 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on November 05, 2021, 03:18:28 PMThe only connection between global warming and earthquakes is that the part of the earth's crust where ice sheets melt would tend to rise without so much weight on them. This process happens very slowly.
And the other end of the goes down.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on November 05, 2021, 10:17:03 AM
JOG I take all scientific blathering with a very large pinch of salt. I'm sure they are doing their best but all their discoveries that are so often claimed to be the definitive discovery are generally disproved as they realise that they really don't know it all. So far in my lifetime I have been threatened with being frozen to death, starved, dehydrated, burned, drowned, poisoned and required to live in a dome. I have lost count of the tragedies that science promises.
I've had that just as diet plans
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 05, 2021, 12:57:37 AM
the concept has been around for quite a while. Te Isle of Man will become the Isle of Tan, etc etc.

It depends what becomes uninhabitable. But once food gets hard to grow the wars will break out. Then it will be fun.
Given John Donne's observation, the crown dependency should have changed its name long ago...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

Quote from: T00ts on November 04, 2021, 08:35:18 PM
I guess there's always a possibility that the heating up will cause earthquakes and volcanic eruptions which will join all the continents up together again drying up the oceans. This would mean we would no longer be an island...
The amount of water that will evaporate from the oceans is nothing compared to all the extra water that will enter them from melting ice sheets over land - particularly Antarctica and Greenland. The ice is 2 miles thick in some parts of Antarctica and 1 mile thick over Greenland. Nobody's seriously predicting that all that ice will melt but even if just a fraction melts it will have serious effects in low-lying coastal areas.

The last time Britain wasn't an island was during the last ice age, when sea levels were much lower because much more land was covered by ice sheets, locking up vast quantities of water.

The only connection between global warming and earthquakes is that the part of the earth's crust where ice sheets melt would tend to rise without so much weight on them. This process happens very slowly.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 05, 2021, 09:53:39 AM
I think you need to exercise a bit of caution.

I have found too many idiots trying to tell me thexsea levels will rise alarmingly if the north polar ice caps melt. The north pole is largely oceanic and has no land mass. A melting ice cube actually shrinks. The Antarctic is a different story if ice there melts it does run off into the sea.

The more intelligent of this cry wolf cult try to tell me the real issue is the expansion of water as the oceans rise by 1 degree C. Well that is true, but water is a bloody good insulator and just because man's stupidity building dams inland screws up the dead sea and the Aral ?? sea and chunks of Colorado and Idaho doesn't mean the Atlantic is going to boil away and having jumped in the top 40 metres and experienced personally how the first three feet soon gives way to Stygian black and eternal cold I'm not convinced ...
JOG I take all scientific blathering with a very large pinch of salt. I'm sure they are doing their best but all their discoveries that are so often claimed to be the definitive discovery are generally disproved as they realise that they really don't know it all. So far in my lifetime I have been threatened with being frozen to death, starved, dehydrated, burned, drowned, poisoned and required to live in a dome. I have lost count of the tragedies that science promises.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on November 04, 2021, 10:19:46 PM
There is something else to remember. If the sea rises like they suggest then a lot of this island will disappear with only the tallest bits above water apparently. I read somewhere a while back that just a small rise in temperature will put my house under water and I am well inland. Siberia is looking better all the time! :-*
I think you need to exercise a bit of caution.

I have found too many idiots trying to tell me thexsea levels will rise alarmingly if the north polar ice caps melt. The north pole is largely oceanic and has no land mass. A melting ice cube actually shrinks. The Antarctic is a different story if ice there melts it does run off into the sea.

The more intelligent of this cry wolf cult try to tell me the real issue is the expansion of water as the oceans rise by 1 degree C. Well that is true, but water is a bloody good insulator and just because man's stupidity building dams inland screws up the dead sea and the Aral ?? sea and chunks of Colorado and Idaho doesn't mean the Atlantic is going to boil away and having jumped in the top 40 metres and experienced personally how the first three feet soon gives way to Stygian black and eternal cold I'm not convinced ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on November 05, 2021, 09:00:29 AM
Empires are all built to fall. The bigger they are the harder they fall.
I think they are building support on the back of the virus and the exaggerated claims about anthropogenic global warming for their own ends.
But they would, wouldn't they?

Why are rich people still buying houses on the coast?
Your answer in lower down in this thread, an admittance that the fear and intimidation work a treat, as long as I get 5 minutes more life, they can do anything they like and I will back them. It is there and in fact it is on every thread. They are not laughing at you because you know something isn't right.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 05, 2021, 09:00:29 AM

Because they are stupid?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Empires are all built to fall. The bigger they are the harder they fall.
I think they are building support on the back of the virus and the exaggerated claims about anthropogenic global warming for their own ends.
But they would, wouldn't they?

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on November 04, 2021, 10:16:52 PM
Bugger you mean like the eu....on steroids.
Thats the one cromwell . Lets just hope the lessons have been learned and the new empire builders make a decent job it 

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on November 04, 2021, 07:51:13 PM
They're right and the climate is going to change so much that parts of the earth will be no longer habitable plus (and the more likely  scenario IMO) population means people will be on the move making the present cross channel influx looking like a picnic.

So do we say yes we welcome you or adopt the hard approach and say sorry Darwin was right and we are in a good place and aim to keep it that way which even if it means sinking your boats or using weapons we will.
the concept has been around for quite a while. Te Isle of Man will become the Isle of Tan, etc etc.

It depends what becomes uninhabitable. But once food gets hard to grow the wars will break out. Then it will be fun.

T00ts

There is something else to remember. If the sea rises like they suggest then a lot of this island will disappear with only the tallest bits above water apparently. I read somewhere a while back that just a small rise in temperature will put my house under water and I am well inland. Siberia is looking better all the time! :-*

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 04, 2021, 10:15:11 PM
I doubt it . Joint policies on the alter of climate change will lead to joint economic ones and  a World order  that  would leave National governments no more than local councils rubber stamping directives from the World council

???
Bugger you mean like the eu....on steroids.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on November 04, 2021, 09:59:18 PM
I wonder if national politics will even be relevant then.
I doubt it . Joint policies on the alter of climate change will lead to joint economic ones and  a World order  that  would leave National governments no more than local councils rubber stamping directives from the World council 

???

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on November 04, 2021, 09:59:18 PM
I wonder if national politics will even be relevant then.
I don't know but I do find things have changed and not a lot for the better,I suspect part of getting old but I fear for the country.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?