Yet more shortages of workers.

Started by papasmurf, November 05, 2021, 07:43:37 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2021, 10:24:01 PM
Eton used to be a feeder school for Oxbridge I believe, I would have thought it a shoe-in to get a place.
I only got to go to Uni because I was stationed at Brize during the mid 80's and the RAF paid for me to get educated at Oxford on a part time basis.
Not any longer.When unis start talking about having to level down their first year or possibly have their own entry exams or ignore bad spelling and grammar you  know something isn't working.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on November 05, 2021, 10:05:06 PM
But it's not working out that way. It might look equal but it isn't fair for the brightest. If the brightest regardless of schooling went to uni that would be fine but now we have quotas. My grandson is at Eton and his parents are already wondering where he will go on to uni. He is extremely bright but the fact that he is at Eton actually means that he is unlikely to get into the top unis because they have to fill their quotas. Eton actually supports a comprehensive nearby and does a lot of scholarships but it seems that counts for nothing. My SIL pays the fees because he can and didn't enter my grandson for a scholarship so as not to deprive another. He himself comes from 5 generations of OEs. My daughter is looking abroad to see if there is anything worthwhile for his further ed and are hoping that sense will return in the next few years before he applies.
Eton used to be a feeder school for Oxbridge I believe, I would have thought it a shoe-in to get a place.
I only got to go to Uni because I was stationed at Brize during the mid 80's and the RAF paid for me to get educated at Oxford on a part time basis.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 05, 2021, 10:06:03 PM
I like to keep a ton in cash as you never know when a card might stop working. I'm with Santander and all their cards stopped working a few weeks back, other banks have had similar problems.
Some would say that a cashless society provides a perfect data trail for others to use for their own purposes.
That is one of the only holds the West has on Russia, they can, or used to be able to turn off VISA / Mastercards in Russia and that causes them a few problems.

Barry

I like to keep a ton in cash as you never know when a card might stop working. I'm with Santander and all their cards stopped working a few weeks back, other banks have had similar problems.
Some would say that a cashless society provides a perfect data trail for others to use for their own purposes.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2021, 09:54:48 PM
I'm not going to apologise but this is where I bang my drum.

What you're describing is the class system, or what used to be the class system: rigidly defined areas and demarcation lines.

There was once a time when only the very brightest 2% of working class people went to university, it was beyond their means unless a scholarship was in the offing.
The left have for a long time now fought to stop the rich from sending their children to expensive schools like Eton or Radley, everyone should be equal they said. Well not eveyone is equal but it is a damn site more equal than it ever was and now the class lines are blurred and society is unbalanced.
Like a wedding cake, you need a base, fruit cake, Marzipan, icing and a cherry on top. The advent of everyone going to Uni and the likes of Brighhouse,/Carphonewarehouse bringing the trappings of the rich to the masses we have now got a situation where the fruitcake has migrated towards the marzipan and is leaving the whole thing unstable.
But it's not working out that way. It might look equal but it isn't fair for the brightest. If the brightest regardless of schooling went to uni that would be fine but now we have quotas. My grandson is at Eton and his parents are already wondering where he will go on to uni. He is extremely bright but the fact that he is at Eton actually means that he is unlikely to get into the top unis because they have to fill their quotas. Eton actually supports a comprehensive nearby and does a lot of scholarships but it seems that counts for nothing. My SIL pays the fees because he can and didn't enter my grandson for a scholarship so as not to deprive another. He himself comes from 5 generations of OEs. My daughter is looking abroad to see if there is anything worthwhile for his further ed and are hoping that sense will return in the next few years before he applies.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 05, 2021, 08:49:22 PM
This is so true. The system is now sending most kids with half a brain to university.
What the system needs to do is send the creme de la creme to university and the others on apprenticeships, on the job training, driving courses and practical skills courses. Getting into work experience and on the job training is so important.
I'm not going to apologise but this is where I bang my drum.

What you're describing is the class system, or what used to be the class system: rigidly defined areas and demarcation lines.

There was once a time when only the very brightest 2% of working class people went to university, it was beyond their means unless a scholarship was in the offing.
The left have for a long time now fought to stop the rich from sending their children to expensive schools like Eton or Radley, everyone should be equal they said. Well not eveyone is equal but it is a damn site more equal than it ever was and now the class lines are blurred and society is unbalanced.
Like a wedding cake, you need a base, fruit cake, Marzipan, icing and a cherry on top. The advent of everyone going to Uni and the likes of Brighhouse,/Carphonewarehouse bringing the trappings of the rich to the masses we have now got a situation where the fruitcake has migrated towards the marzipan and is leaving the whole thing unstable.

patman post

Quote from: Ratcliff on November 05, 2021, 06:46:23 PM
There are 3 Michelin eateries in Helston according to Trip advisor which has thousands of reviews - read the link posted above and this one with a Michelin filter

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g528843-Helston_Cornwall_England.html
None nearer than 2.5 miles according to your post. The rest non-Michelin look to have "interesting" menus. If I am visiting I might think of chancing one or two. If I lived there, I'd possibly go for an Indian, or home cook...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 05, 2021, 08:55:25 PM
The guy that just brought me home from the club says the Taxi driver shortage is down to too many people paying by card . Cash is king and cards are taxable .

Not saying they shouldn't pay tax but like in my game there has to be a bit of wriggle room or it doesn't pay the bills
The black economy is still alive and kicking I can assure you, just not in the Taxi business by the sounds of it.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on November 05, 2021, 09:22:54 PM
I'm afraid I'm a Luddite,I don't think we should rely on a cashless society you only need some crisis or perhaps bank computers hacked and you're stuffed.
Actually that is something I totally agree with. Tomorrow I will visit a cash machine!

cromwell

I'm afraid I'm a Luddite,I don't think we should rely on a cashless society you only need some crisis or perhaps bank computers hacked and you're stuffed.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 05, 2021, 08:55:25 PM
The guy that just brought me home from the club says the Taxi driver shortage is down to too many people paying by card . Cash is king and cards are taxable .

Not saying they shouldn't pay tax but like in my game there has to be a bit of wriggle room or it doesn't pay the bills
I haven't used cash since before the lock down. I would think there are very many the same. I don't think I even have any coins in my purse. I must look, but everything now is done by card or phone. I should think Rishi is very happy about that. I noticed just the other day that all 3 of the banks locally have closed leaving holes in the wall and the Post Office as cash sources but I don't see queues like I used to.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 05, 2021, 08:33:23 PM
My point is add up all the worker shortages and they are far more than the people available for work.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on November 05, 2021, 08:41:35 PM
We have too many kids at university doing courses that don't prepare them for work but because they feel educated they won't try the jobs that are there. Those who don't get to uni largely have the impression that they are failures and would rather fulfil their teachers' vision and live on the dole. We have a massive society reset to establish.
This is so true. The system is now sending most kids with half a brain to university.
What the system needs to do is send the creme de la creme to university and the others on apprenticeships, on the job training, driving courses and practical skills courses. Getting into work experience and on the job training is so important.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Is it possible that we are in a chicken and egg situation. When the EU workers could come here they leapt at the jobs that our kids thought were beneath them. In turn a glut of coffee shops, bars etc opened up trying to copy the European culture almost to the point where I wondered how they could all make a living. Now they have gone home and are unlikely to come back soon. Their presence got jobs done on the cheap so our guys couldn't compete. If we are to lift our worth then it will take a bit of time and change of mindset surely.

We have too many kids at university doing courses that don't prepare them for work but because they feel educated they won't try the jobs that are there. Those who don't get to uni largely have the impression that they are failures and would rather fulfil their teachers' vision and live on the dole. We have a massive society reset to establish.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2021, 08:25:50 PM
If you're not insinuating anything, what's your point? Or haven't you got one?
My point is add up all the worker shortages and they are far more than the people available for work.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe