Want a seat in the House of Lords? Be Tory treasurer and donate £3m

Started by papasmurf, November 07, 2021, 10:17:57 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on November 07, 2021, 10:39:59 AM
That depends what else comes to light. Whilst the likelihood of Labour getting an outright majority in my opinion is zero. A coalition with Labour the biggest party in it is becoming more likely. (A "progressive alliance," is a term being used more frequently.)
Then there is tactical voting, an estimated 26% voting tactically in 2019, (Lord Ashcroft polls 13 December 2019.)
Tactical voting came close to getting rid of Iain Duncan Smith.
The Conservatives may have a large majority, due to the vagaries if First Past The Post, but they do not have the support of the majority of the electorate.  Tactical voting could easily lose them the next general election.
A progressive alliance would involved 40/50 prospective snp seats from scotland , and i can tell you now , no matter how much you hate the tories , this will never happen especially with a blairite starmer led labour party.

I have been saying this for years to the anglo left , but they can't let reality overcome wishfull thinking. An english party like labour getting into bed with scot nationalists , welsh nationalists or any other group seen as anti english mainstream would finish the labour party for eternity.

Both the tories and snp must be praying labour really are that stupid .

Not to mention as i keep saying brexit is a cloud that will hang over labour for years to come....no one will trust them , as even former labour member steve srb says.

As for tactical voting dont make me feckin laugh. You tactically voted in 2019 you told us and what happened?

You got a tory mp and a landslide tory administration. You are totally out of touch pappy with reality on the ground.

Your tory hatred blinds you to everything.

The majority english public will forgive the tories a bit of theft and corruption rather than face the humiliation of starmer taking them back into the EU by the back door.

The scottish hate labour , the northern english despise them and only the taffies seem still willing to vote them in.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Ratcliff

Quote from: Thomas on November 07, 2021, 10:24:24 AM
Par for the course . Remember the labour governments cash for honours scandal?

The only surprising thing is the tories are normally a bit more discreet about these things.

can't see limp wristed starmer ousting the tories at the next election off the back of stuff like this though pappy.

Goes back further than that(and probably much further back) , Lord Kagan of Gannex raincoat fame was a major Wilson funder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kagan,_Baron_Kagan

Streetwalker

I reckon we should have a whip round and get a forum member dressed in Ermine .  I'll chuck in a fiver to get the ball rolling 

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on November 07, 2021, 10:24:24 AM

can't see limp wristed starmer ousting the tories at the next election off the back of stuff like this though pappy.
That depends what else comes to light. Whilst the likelihood of Labour getting an outright majority in my opinion is zero. A coalition with Labour the biggest party in it is becoming more likely. (A "progressive alliance," is a term being used more frequently.)
Then there is tactical voting, an estimated 26% voting tactically in 2019, (Lord Ashcroft polls 13 December 2019.)
Tactical voting came close to getting rid of Iain Duncan Smith.
The Conservatives may have a large majority, due to the vagaries if First Past The Post, but they do not have the support of the majority of the electorate.  Tactical voting could easily lose them the next general election.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on November 07, 2021, 10:17:57 AM
I wonder what else is going to come to light:-

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/want-a-seat-in-the-house-of-lords-be-tory-treasurer-and-donate-3m/

6 November 2021, 5.30pm

Exclusive: Senior Tory accuses Boris Johnson of overseeing 'scandal in plain sight' as it's revealed party treasurers who donate £3m are almost always offered peerages

onservative treasurers who donate £3m to the party seem almost guaranteed a peerage.
In the past seven years, every former party treasurer has given at least this amount – and all but the most recently retired have been offered a seat in the House of Lords, a joint investigation by openDemocracy and The Sunday Times has found.
Insiders claim that peerages are being given to wealthy businessmen, in what "appeared to be a reward" for bankrolling Boris Johnson's party.
The findings are the strongest evidence yet of a new 'cash for peerages' scandal, with a former Conservative Party chairman telling The Sunday Times: "Once you pay your £3m, you get your peerage."

Par for the course . Remember the labour governments cash for honours scandal?

The only surprising thing is the tories are normally a bit more discreet about these things.

Cant see limp wristed starmer ousting the tories at the next election off the back of stuff like this though pappy.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

I wonder what else is going to come to light:-

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/want-a-seat-in-the-house-of-lords-be-tory-treasurer-and-donate-3m/

6 November 2021, 5.30pm

Exclusive: Senior Tory accuses Boris Johnson of overseeing 'scandal in plain sight' as it's revealed party treasurers who donate £3m are almost always offered peerages

onservative treasurers who donate £3m to the party seem almost guaranteed a peerage.
In the past seven years, every former party treasurer has given at least this amount – and all but the most recently retired have been offered a seat in the House of Lords, a joint investigation by openDemocracy and The Sunday Times has found.
Insiders claim that peerages are being given to wealthy businessmen, in what "appeared to be a reward" for bankrolling Boris Johnson's party.
The findings are the strongest evidence yet of a new 'cash for peerages' scandal, with a former Conservative Party chairman telling The Sunday Times: "Once you pay your £3m, you get your peerage."

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe