Malnutrition doubles to over 10,000 cases under Tory rule

Started by Thomas, November 10, 2021, 12:29:15 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2021, 08:34:26 PM
Not enough income is the major part of it but it would take residential re-education and high voltage therapy to get Tories to understand that.
Bullshit

It is perfectly possible to purchase the materials to prepare food from scratch for less than it costs to order it as a take away.

I do.it all the time and I'm talking about wandering up Aldi, Lidl and Asda with a trolley not Fortnum and bloody Masons or Waitrose FFS

Regrettably so called "ready meals" are priced to ensure the factory made fodder is a lower priced alternative.

But the real enemy here is time, or rather, the lack of it. With housing costs sucking ever more of two people's income and making it utterly impossible for a couple let alone a family be supported on the take home of a single breadwinner, hardly anyone had the time to prepare meals from scratch.

It has to be said working from my third floor office 90 seconds from the dining room I'm sitting in typing this means I have over 90 minutes to get my arse out to the shops and back and get something thrown together, the said 90 minutes being the time I used to waste in traffic getting to the office as I had to yesterday.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2021, 11:52:42 PM
To be honest, this is a widespread trait so not worth singling out any individual. It is just as true of you or me. I don't suppose either of us can plausibly claim to be infallible.
Well unlike the pope I've never claimed infallibility and like others on her have held my hands up on occasion,it is worth pointing out because past history has shown pedant of Cornwall never has.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2021, 06:41:11 PM
Ignorance and lack of education (cooking and budgeting) is a massive part of it.
A 25Kg sack of spuds is £10 ish. Chicken breasts a pound odd each. A chippy tea or a frozen dinner meal for five is 15 to 20 quid compared to half that for a far healthier option, and seeing as everyone has SKY ( 😉) there are a plethora of cooking programs to get anyone cooking.

This issue is only going to carry on propagating through the next generations if the educations isn't forced upon them.
Now is the perfect time for government to push fish and seafood, even subsidise to a certain extent, it can only reap rewards with the economy and less people going to the NHS over dietary disorders.

True enough, but the problem is that people will be people. Nearly a hundred years ago George Orwell made the astonishing discovery that it was possible to not only eat well on the dole, but to also eat healthily. The problem was that after a bit the poor said sod it, and spent their money on agreeable rubbish.
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 10, 2021, 09:36:04 PMBeing wrong isn't life changing it's a human trait you are unable to accept.
To be honest, this is a widespread trait so not worth singling out any individual. It is just as true of you or me. I don't suppose either of us can plausibly claim to be infallible.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2021, 08:41:48 PM
I know what a shop is, and there are no DEDICATED off licences left, there are however shops with alcohol licences.
Chambers dictionary here

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/off-licence

Note that it says mainly alcohol,which it means can sell other stuff like crisps snacks cigs etc,off licences have always sold other stuff except in your mind where you have to invent dedicated off licences because you cannot contemplate Nick was right and you are wrong.

Being wrong isn't life changing it's a human trait you are unable to accept.

Barry

I used to visit this off licence about once a month. Then I moved to Kent.

† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2021, 08:41:48 PM
I know what a shop is, and there are no DEDICATED off licences left, there are however shops with alcohol licences.

Then they are off licences. Even in your pedantic little world Pappy, you must know that off licence means off licenced premises i.e a pub or bar. So if you have a shop selling alcohol then it is an off licence.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 10, 2021, 08:38:43 PM
And there we are criticising the tories and recommending high voltage torture in the same post.

Btw have you worked out what a shop is yet?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2021, 08:34:26 PM
Not enough income is the major part of it but it would take residential re-education and high voltage therapy to get Tories to understand that.
And there we are criticising the tories and recommending high voltage torture in the same post.

Btw have you worked out what a shop is yet?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2021, 06:41:11 PM
Ignorance and lack of education (cooking and budgeting) is a massive part of it.
Not enough income is the major part of it but it would take residential re-education and high voltage therapy to get Tories to understand that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on November 10, 2021, 03:33:04 PM
I agree but ignorance is not the only problem. We eat too much food that comes out of a factory and the truth about how much harm it does is carefully hidden from all of us. Profit has been the god of the food world for too long.
A 25Kg sack of spuds is £10 ish. Chicken breasts a pound odd each. A chippy tea or a frozen dinner meal for five is 15 to 20 quid compared to half that for a far healthier option, and seeing as everyone has SKY ( 😉) there are a plethora of cooking programs to get anyone cooking. 

This issue is only going to carry on propagating through the next generations if the educations isn't forced upon them. 
Now is the perfect time for government to push fish and seafood, even subsidise to a certain extent, it can only reap rewards with the economy and less people going to the NHS over dietary disorders. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Victorian diseases: NHS in England treating over 10,000 patients for malnutrition, scurvy and rickets

Diseases more commonly found in Victorian England are on the increase with thousands being treated for malnutrition, scurvy and rickets.

Hospitals in England are seeing almost 30 admissions every day relating to malnutrition, with more than 10,000 admissions reported in the last year, NationalWorld can reveal.

There have also been hundreds of hospital admissions connected to scurvy and rickets, diseases more commonly found in Victorian England and generally caused by vitamin deficiencies.

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/victorian-diseases-nhs-in-england-treating-over-10000-patients-for-malnutrition-scurvy-and-rickets-3453093

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on November 10, 2021, 03:06:54 PM
Malnutrition is not people starving. In the case of scurvy eating an orange or having orange juice for breakfast would be the end of scurvy.
It's cheap as chips, but contains lots of vitamin C.
It's ignorance that causes malnutrition, poverty might be a factor, but so is intelligent use of food.
I agree but ignorance is not the only problem. We eat too much food that comes out of a factory and the truth about how much harm it does is carefully hidden from all of us. Profit has been the god of the food world for too long. 

Barry

Malnutrition is not people starving. In the case of scurvy eating an orange or having orange juice for breakfast would be the end of scurvy.
It's cheap as chips, but contains lots of vitamin C.
It's ignorance that causes malnutrition, poverty might be a factor, but so is intelligent use of food.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Having read the report  there seems a clear link between increased Malnutrition and increased use of Food banks . Maybe they are just not up to scratch