Political Sleaze

Started by T00ts, November 10, 2021, 12:39:52 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 10, 2021, 02:06:06 PM
Pappy - that's the going rate for a top QC. 
So what? (I have to conclude you are on a wind up mission,) he is effectively an absentee MP that is NOT acceptable.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2021, 01:54:48 PM
Sorry but the trousering of from £1/2 a million to £1 millon a year for next to no work whilst neglecting their constituencies is a disgrace and should be stopped. It is  a scandal and they have no morals.
Pappy - that's the going rate for a top QC. You can't equate it with a dustman's wages. It isn't trousering it is doing a job that he trained for for many years and qualified for and he is good at it or he wouldn't get the jobs. It's cloud cuckoo land to imagine that Westminster can be successfully run by everyone with secondary level education. People like him bring an expertise/skill in all sorts of areas that benefits us all. They are not running a market vegetable barrow.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2021, 01:54:48 PM
Sorry but the trousering of from £1/2 a million to £1 millon a year for next to no work whilst neglecting their constituencies is a disgrace and should be stopped. It is  a scandal and they have no morals.
Neither have we pappy. I tell you , anymore of this  , and the tories will be in power for life....
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 10, 2021, 12:39:52 PM
Everyone is jumping up and down because MPs are allowed to have interests outside their role as MP. I feel this is incredibly short sighted and based mostly on jealousy. 
Sorry but the trousering of from £1/2 a million to £1 millon a year for next to no work whilst neglecting their constituencies is a disgrace and should be stopped. It is  a scandal and they have no morals.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on November 10, 2021, 01:50:48 PM
Well at least you have realised at last how wise I am! Dancing I don't doubt that there is abuse of the system and it has been long lived but for all the points made earlier we either pay MPs better or risk a lack of talent in Westminster.
toots , i have long said the commons should be shortened by some 200 mps and those left given  pay raise , along with the bar that no career politician without experience in the world of work should be admitted.

I thinkthe fptp system cronyism and safe seats has been the death of that place , but what do i know?

Anyway we scots are doing our bit , and trying to withdraw the scots content. The irish did their bit , so its down to you english and welsh.

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on November 10, 2021, 01:44:43 PM
political sleaze? No smoke without fire toots , a wise lady once told me....:D
Well at least you have realised at last how wise I am! Dancing I don't doubt that there is abuse of the system and it has been long lived but for all the points made earlier we either pay MPs better or risk a lack of talent in Westminster.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on November 10, 2021, 12:39:52 PM
Everyone is jumping up and down because MPs are allowed to have interests outside their role as MP. I feel this is incredibly short sighted and based mostly on jealousy. I appreciate that there should be a line drawn in some areas like lobbying etc but if an MP is a lawyer, a medic of some kind or other former careers then they should be allowed to do some work in those roles to maintain their qualifications or their experience. Sadly the wimps in the Commons - hardly out of school - can only see that these chaps are making money and would be so much happier if all MPs were as lowly as they are themselves.

80k odd  is not a fair salary for the job they do. It is far lower that most professional people would earn particularly in London so reduce their expenses but give them a decent salary well over 100k. Constituency houses should belong to the constituency and used for the incumbent MP. Those MPs representing their own home constituency should live at home and a block of flats acquired in London for MPs to use when attending the House.

We need a change of attitude to recognise that we need brains, talent and life experience in Parliament as well as in education at all levels now  more than ever. With a mediocre salary measured against what can be earned outside, those with the attributes we need into Westminster are unlikely to stand for election.
political sleaze? No smoke without fire toots , a wise lady once told me....:D

T00ts

Everyone is jumping up and down because MPs are allowed to have interests outside their role as MP. I feel this is incredibly short sighted and based mostly on jealousy. I appreciate that there should be a line drawn in some areas like lobbying etc but if an MP is a lawyer, a medic of some kind or other former careers then they should be allowed to do some work in those roles to maintain their qualifications or their experience. Sadly the wimps in the Commons - hardly out of school - can only see that these chaps are making money and would be so much happier if all MPs were as lowly as they are themselves. 

80k odd  is not a fair salary for the job they do. It is far lower that most professional people would earn particularly in London so reduce their expenses but give them a decent salary well over 100k. Constituency houses should belong to the constituency and used for the incumbent MP. Those MPs representing their own home constituency should live at home and a block of flats acquired in London for MPs to use when attending the House.

We need a change of attitude to recognise that we need brains, talent and life experience in Parliament as well as in education at all levels now  more than ever. With a mediocre salary measured against what can be earned outside, those with the attributes we need into Westminster are unlikely to stand for election.