SKY News'I regularly work 70-hour weeks': Sir Geoffrey Cox responds to second job sleaze claims

Started by GBNews, November 13, 2021, 07:00:35 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on November 13, 2021, 09:48:50 AM
No-one is worth that kind of money especially when what he is being paid for is somewhat suspect.
He wants the decision left to his constituents, that could backfire on him badly.

I have to disagree. 

I think I'm worth what he got.

I just haven't found anyone willing to pay it yet.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 13, 2021, 10:24:27 AM
But look at the calibre on the opposition benches there isn't much scope is there?
Britain is in a very dire situation politically. I can think of any MP capable of running a "party" in a Brewery. Far to many of them can't keep their own houses in order let alone be capable of running the country.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

papasmurf

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 13, 2021, 10:11:20 AM
Currently it is filled with incompetence and far too many crooks and chancers.
Not all on the Government side either. We are suffering from the disease of no consequences which has been proliferating in life generally. No-one is answerable for their actions any longer. Perhaps a return to a set of stocks at each piece of green would be an answer. 

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 13, 2021, 10:03:07 AM
I'm sure you believe that. However a Parliament filled totally with mediocrity will leave us very vulnerable.
Currently it is filled with incompetence and far too many crooks and chancers.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 13, 2021, 09:59:41 AM
I suggest you check what he is being paid the megabucks for. I am a concerned citizen who is worried about British democracy being put under threat by MPs who have no moral compass.
I'm sure you believe that. However a Parliament filled totally with mediocrity will leave us very vulnerable. We have already seen how some would represent us if left to their own devices. The last swing in the election left us with very mediocre MPs who were not expected to win their seats. Parliament has become the poorer for it.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 13, 2021, 09:56:46 AMWho are you to decide what is suspect or not? 
I suggest you check what he is being paid the megabucks for. I am a concerned citizen who is worried about British democracy being put under threat by MPs who have no moral compass.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 13, 2021, 09:48:50 AM
No-one is worth that kind of money especially when what he is being paid for is somewhat suspect.
He wants the decision left to his constituents, that could backfire on him badly.
No I don't think so it is the choice of a fairly wise man. I don't expect he gives a hoot either way. If his constituents feel let down they will show it at the ballot box. I should think he's pretty phlegmatic about it. Who are you to decide what is suspect or not? It is subject to a legal process that better minds than yours or mine will decide. I get the feeling that you simply begrudge him the money no matter what.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 13, 2021, 09:44:53 AM
I still think you are unfair to those who spend years qualifying for whatever talent they have. 
No-one is worth that kind of money especially when what he is being paid for is somewhat suspect.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 13, 2021, 09:40:59 AM
No-one is worth that kind of money. He should resign as an MP as he very obviously cannot carry out his duty as an MP properly.
I still think you are unfair to those who spend years qualifying for whatever talent they have. As far as being an MP is concerned up to a point I agree but of course his legal expertise has been invaluable in Parliament. Just because someone has a talent - why hold him down? We have had years of politicians trying to put everyone in the same sized boxes and even going so far as to degrade the education of the really bright. We need them and that effort and dedication deserves reward.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 13, 2021, 09:36:42 AMWe need clever people and every man is worthy of his hire.
No-one is worth that kind of money. He should resign as an MP as he very obviously cannot carry out his duty as an MP properly.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 13, 2021, 09:17:05 AM
Toots no-one is worth the kind of money they charge.
I really don't agree. In this case his mistake is trying to be an MP as well although of course his legal expertise is invaluable to us all politically, but as far as his commercial worth is concerned he is a highly qualified very clever man who believe me, earns every penny to be able to do the job he does. The trouble with your philosophy as I see it, is that it is always those who have not achieved the same positions for whatever reason, who feel that those who do don't deserve it. We need clever people and every man is worthy of his hire. Every person is entitled to achieve his or her maximum capability and be suitably rewarded regardless of political ideology.  If he wasn't exceptionally good at his job he wouldn't be earning what he does. What perhaps you don't realise is that the money doesn't really make up for the commitment. 

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 13, 2021, 09:28:45 AM
People are worth what customers are prepared to pay,
I suspect mega tax avoiders and evaders will pay anything to avoid seizure of assets and/or jail.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 13, 2021, 09:17:05 AM
Toots no-one is worth the kind of money they charge.
People are worth what customers are prepared to pay,I don't begrudge him his money but the issue here is whether people want to represent people in parliament.

It cannot be part time nor should it be as I believe in this case to be secondary to the office of parliament,he is obviously talented in his field........good for him but he needs to make a choice.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?