Is China about to invade Taiwan?

Started by Thomas, November 13, 2021, 05:07:58 PM

« previous - next »

Groo

Quote from: Thomas on November 26, 2021, 08:20:50 AM
I understand what you are saying groo , but im not sure that argument would really wash with the international community in the modern world. Evey modern nation on this earth exists as a result of land being annexed  , mainly by force. In Englands case , it was often taken by force and then some dodgy treaty drawn up trying to legitimise that annexation. Im sure there are many other countries that have done the same. Canada being one of them.

On the flip side of that argument , i fully support and belive in self determination.

So its a difficult argument.

In the end , im sure it will boil down to "might is right" , and international recognition.

Your last sentence is 100% I'm afraid. 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on November 26, 2021, 08:26:14 AM
Well thats a crap analogy john , based on your own demented and warped interpretation of history.

Eire is the name of the entire island of ireland in gaidhlig. Including the 6 counties , all of whom are known as "eireannach".

The" republic " didint use the provos to acquire the 6 counties......its currently part of the uk.

The uk used ulster loyalists , only a majority in antrim and down , to acquire the 6 counties you mean.

I dont think the chinese are going to take lectures from brit nats like you john on what is right in international law. As putin said regarding crimea.

The analogy that would be correct is china "planting " taiwan with loyalists , then annexing it the same way as you did with the six counties.
I don't need the chinese to listen to me. I just need them tio worry about us as much as they worry about puitin, a man proven to be happy to send agents to kill his enemies on foreigh shores and happy to use chemical agents against his own people and call the collateral damage that occurs an acceptable price to pay for ensuring the exterminaton of terrorism inside his borders. As I've said before, I already know the havoc chinese cyber terrorosm tries to wreak just from those the state sends here as "entrepreneurs".
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 22, 2021, 11:29:32 AM

You ask how can China invade itself.

I'd say pretty much the same way Eire used the Provos to acquire the six counties.
Well thats a crap analogy john , based on your own demented and warped interpretation of history.

Eire is the name of the entire island of ireland in gaidhlig. Including the 6 counties , all of whom are known as "eireannach".

The" republic " didint use the provos to acquire the 6 counties......its currently part of the uk.

The uk used ulster loyalists , only a majority in antrim and down , to acquire the 6 counties you mean.

I dont think the chinese are going to take lectures from brit nats like you john on what is right in international law. As putin said regarding crimea.

The analogy that would be correct is china "planting " taiwan with loyalists , then annexing it the same way as you did with the six counties.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Groo on November 26, 2021, 05:23:53 AM
The World didn't start in 1949. China annexed the Islands in the 17thC, and had to put down continuous rebellions until Japan took it from them in the 19thC, they re-took administration after Japan surrendered in WW2.

It's like saying Ireland belongs to England.
I understand what you are saying groo , but im not sure that argument would really wash with the international community in the modern world. Evey modern nation on this earth exists as a result of land being annexed  , mainly by force. In Englands case , it was often taken by force and then some dodgy treaty drawn up trying to legitimise that annexation. Im sure there are many other countries that have done the same. Canada being one of them.

On the flip side of that argument , i fully support and belive in self determination.

So its a difficult argument.

In the end , im sure it will boil down to "might is right" , and international recognition.

Groo

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 22, 2021, 09:18:31 AM
The only thing here Thomas is to ask how can China Invade itself?

There is no country called Taiwan, it is the name of an Island where the defeated government of the Republic of China retreated after losing the Civil War in 1949.
The Republc of China was recognised as the official China until 1971, when it lost its place at the UN and was replaced by the Peoples Republic of China.
At that time and for another nearly twenty years the Republic of China was itself a military Dictatorship under former Chinese head of State Chiang Kai Shek and his successors.

The legal position under International Law is that there is only one China and that its Government is based in Beijing and that this Government is Sovereign over all Chinese territory, including that still held by the Republic of China.

BTW do not confuse International Law with the US's much touted "Rules based International Order" as the latter is not International Law approved by the UN, but is literally self serving nonsense that the US makes up as it goes along and which is parroted by its shills.
Islands 

The World didn't start in 1949. China annexed the Islands in the 17thC, and had to put down continuous rebellions until Japan took it from them in the 19thC, they re-took administration after Japan surrendered in WW2.

It's like saying Ireland belongs to England.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 22, 2021, 09:18:31 AM

There is no country called Taiwan, it is the name of an Island where the defeated government of the Republic of China retreated after losing the Civil War in 1949.
The Republc of China was recognised as the official China until 1971, when it lost its place at the UN and was replaced by the Peoples Republic of China.
At that time and for another nearly twenty years the Republic of China was itself a military Dictatorship under former Chinese head of State Chiang Kai Shek and his successors.

The legal position under International Law is that there is only one China and that its Government is based in Beijing and that this Government is Sovereign over all Chinese territory, including that still held by the Republic of China.

BTW do not confuse International Law with the US's much touted "Rules based International Order" as the latter is not International Law approved by the UN, but is literally self serving nonsense that the US makes up as it goes along and which is parroted by its shills.

The problem with that statement is that 14 membercstat s if the United Nations disagree with you, recognise the Taiwan Government and the legitimacy of the area formerly known as Formosa.

You ask how can China invade itself. 

I'd say pretty much the same way Eire used the Provos to acquire the six counties.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sampanviking

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on November 13, 2021, 05:16:15 PM
A 2 pronged attack? While so many, including USA are watching Russia, Belarus on the Polish border and the threat to Ukraine, China laughs and sneaks in by the back while where no-one is looking. Putin and Xi are quite pally I believe. It's like a sick chess game. Oh sorry dear Putin is the golden boy this week and can do no wrong I believe! :P
not at all toots. My point about putin was he was being used as a ready made scapegoat for the uk governments problems. Not that he is whiter than white.

Quite clearly , as farage and others have said , the fact the uk government  , under the guise of NATO  , can send soldiers to defend the polish border when it suits against immigration if its a chance to give russia or its allies a bloody nose , but cant send those same soldiers to stop the hordes at the channel?

As sampan says why is one a threat but the other not?

Quite clearly the uk governments inaction in the channel is a political decision  to do nothing(or very little) , and johnson is starting to pay for it at the polls.

If china does invade taiwan , i will tell you what will happen . Nothing.

The british are way out of their league against superpowers , and sleepy joe and america dont have the stomach , not to mention how in debt they are to the chinese and reliant on chinese goods like the rest of us.

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on November 13, 2021, 05:07:58 PM
Rhetoric getting ramped up ...

This week, the central committee of the Chinese Communist party will issue a 'resolution on history'. It will enshrine the official historical narrative of the Xi Jinping era. Only two CCP leaders have issued a resolution of this kind before: Mao Zedong and Deng Xiaoping. Mao's resolution set out his role as China's sole leader; Deng's, the conditions for the country's economic focus. And Xi's? Details are yet to be revealed, but it is expected to reinforce the idea of China's historical destiny, what Xi calls the 'great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation'. For Xi, the project of national rejuvenation is inherently linked to the reunification with Taiwan, the only part of the old republic that did not become communist in 1949. Xi has called reunification the 'unswerving historical task' of the party, and he takes it very seriously. The resolution's aim is not to celebrate the CCP's past. It is to stress the inevitability of the future.

While westerners may find it difficult to imagine an actual invasion of Taiwan, a pressing question remains: short of open war, what levels of coercive actions are the United States and its allies willing to accept? Last month, the Chinese air force, or PLAAF, was busier than ever. Under normal circumstances, it would be customary for the Chinese military to hold national day parades to commemorate the Chinese Communist party's victory over the Kuomintang, the Chinese Nationalist party, on 1 October 1949. This year was different. For five days, the PLAAF flew 150 aircraft around Taiwan. The increase in air operations in the last month suggests that Beijing has already succeeded in setting a higher threshold for international tolerance of military coercion. Exercises around Taiwanese airspace now take place on an almost daily basis. Last week, 20 Chinese warplanes entered Taiwan's air defence zone within 24 hours.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-china-about-to-invade-taiwan
A 2 pronged attack? While so many, including USA are watching Russia, Belarus on the Polish border and the threat to Ukraine, China laughs and sneaks in by the back while where no-one is looking. Putin and Xi are quite pally I believe. It's like a sick chess game. Oh sorry dear Putin is the golden boy this week and can do no wrong I believe! :P 

Thomas

Rhetoric getting ramped up ...

This week, the central committee of the Chinese Communist party will issue a 'resolution on history'. It will enshrine the official historical narrative of the Xi Jinping era. Only two CCP leaders have issued a resolution of this kind before: Mao Zedong and Deng Xiaoping. Mao's resolution set out his role as China's sole leader; Deng's, the conditions for the country's economic focus. And Xi's? Details are yet to be revealed, but it is expected to reinforce the idea of China's historical destiny, what Xi calls the 'great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation'. For Xi, the project of national rejuvenation is inherently linked to the reunification with Taiwan, the only part of the old republic that did not become communist in 1949. Xi has called reunification the 'unswerving historical task' of the party, and he takes it very seriously. The resolution's aim is not to celebrate the CCP's past. It is to stress the inevitability of the future.

While westerners may find it difficult to imagine an actual invasion of Taiwan, a pressing question remains: short of open war, what levels of coercive actions are the United States and its allies willing to accept? Last month, the Chinese air force, or PLAAF, was busier than ever. Under normal circumstances, it would be customary for the Chinese military to hold national day parades to commemorate the Chinese Communist party's victory over the Kuomintang, the Chinese Nationalist party, on 1 October 1949. This year was different. For five days, the PLAAF flew 150 aircraft around Taiwan. The increase in air operations in the last month suggests that Beijing has already succeeded in setting a higher threshold for international tolerance of military coercion. Exercises around Taiwanese airspace now take place on an almost daily basis. Last week, 20 Chinese warplanes entered Taiwan's air defence zone within 24 hours.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-china-about-to-invade-taiwan