Main Menu

Another big mistake.

Started by Nick, November 15, 2021, 03:00:22 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 15, 2021, 05:14:51 PM
Yes, so how is that a brexit win. Did the UK govt change corporate tax to benefit Shell or maybe the Dutch are increasing theirs. Or it's something else. Maybe you know ?
That is something that you'll never know cause contrary to popular believe Corporation Tax can be negotiated if you're big enough. But it's just a coincidence that they move immediately after Brexit! How convenient 😂. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 15, 2021, 04:08:57 PM
The proposal to move to the UK will be voted on by shareholders and if passed it will happen. A bit more info would help decide if it's good or bad. Like how many jobs will this create or additional tax revenue etc...

But  how is this anything to do with brexit. The article says the move was due to dividends being paid from two sources and Shell wanting to do that from one place.
It has everything to do with Brexit. Why would a giant like Shell move to what you deem is a dying duck? It's the same argument you would use if the move was the other way, but this doesn't fit your view so you dismiss it as nothing to do with Brexit. 

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on November 15, 2021, 04:35:02 PM
Ah, a good point and to be honest Gerry, if you had every actually been to the land of Leprechaun accounting you would not have to ask.

Royal Dutch Shell has always had two boards (one Dutch and one British) and sets of shares. This has tended to work to Shell's advantage because one way and another they have been able to set one of the tax regimes against the other. However, the gap appears to be widening, the game is no longer worth the candle and the Cloggies are closing down the Amsterdam office.
Yes, so how is that a brexit win. Did the UK govt change corporate tax to benefit Shell or maybe the Dutch are increasing theirs. Or it's something else. Maybe you know ?

Borchester

The proposal to move to the UK will be voted on by shareholders and if passed it will happen. A bit more info would help decide if it's good or bad. Like how many jobs will this create or additional tax revenue etc...

But  how is this anything to do with brexit. The article says the move was due to dividends being paid from two sources and Shell wanting to do that from one place.

Ah, a good point and to be honest Gerry, if you had every actually been to the land of Leprechaun accounting you would not have to ask.

Royal Dutch Shell has always had two boards (one Dutch and one British) and sets of shares. This has tended to work to Shell's advantage because one way and another they have been able to set one of the tax regimes against the other. However, the gap appears to be widening, the game is no longer worth the candle and the Cloggies are closing down the Amsterdam office.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2021, 03:00:22 PM
It looks like Brexit was such a bad idea that Shell are going to move headquarters to the U.K.  Another indication how bad Brexit is then eh Gerry?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59288593
i was just about to say nick wait for the "ah but ah but" from our obsessive compulsive remainer weirdo.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Exactly and they chose us! 

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2021, 03:00:22 PM
It looks like Brexit was such a bad idea that Shell are going to move headquarters to the U.K.  Another indication how bad Brexit is then eh Gerry?

The proposal to move to the UK will be voted on by shareholders and if passed it will happen. A bit more info would help decide if it's good or bad. Like how many jobs will this create or additional tax revenue etc...

But  how is this anything to do with brexit. The article says the move was due to dividends being paid from two sources and Shell wanting to do that from one place.

Nick

It looks like Brexit was such a bad idea that Shell are going to move headquarters to the U.K.  Another indication how bad Brexit is then eh Gerry?