Poland may have to leave the European Union

Started by Barry, December 17, 2019, 07:15:12 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=10829 time=1576858479 user_id=75
I gather that apart from the UK and Greece most EU members citizens are generally pro-EU.

That's why Macron stayed that if France had a referendum they would vote out. He isn't giving them the chance.

Italy and Hungary aren't to happy with the EU either.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Poland are generally Eurosceptic and having lost the UK as an ally in efforts to slow down federalisation they may well jump before they are pushed into a corner .

As mentioned it wont take a great deal to light anti EU touch papers across Europe , the project has failed

Video below courtesy from Scots for leave (yes there are some  :thup:  )

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nigel+farage+at+the+eu&view=detail&mid=87EA434827AF1853460087EA434827AF18534600&FORM=VIRE&PC=LCTS&cc=GB&setlang=en-US&PC=LCTS&cvid=89f6aa1e72cb44f2aff5fad451db4bd8&qs=AS&nclid=97C945F807FB86C4A8B16DA4BE1FE75A&ts=1576861721796">//https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nigel+farage+at+the+eu&view=detail&mid=87EA434827AF1853460087EA434827AF18534600&FORM=VIRE&PC=LCTS&cc=GB&setlang=en-US&PC=LCTS&cvid=89f6aa1e72cb44f2aff5fad451db4bd8&qs=AS&nclid=97C945F807FB86C4A8B16DA4BE1FE75A&ts=1576861721796

Churchill

Some are some are not, according to this article Germany a few years ago considered that France, Holland and others could leave

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/683224/END-OF-THE-EU-Germany-France-Austria-Hungary-Finland-Netherlands-Europe-Brexit">https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/68 ... ope-Brexit">https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/683224/END-OF-THE-EU-Germany-France-Austria-Hungary-Finland-Netherlands-Europe-Brexit
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Ciaphas

Quote from: Churchill post_id=10749 time=1576831290 user_id=69
I have always thought that when we leave the EU other nations may well follow our lead and hold referendums to leave as well, IMO many millions of people across the EU are not happy being in the EU

I gather that apart from the UK and Greece most EU members citizens are generally pro-EU.

Major Sinic

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=10554 time=1576678011 user_id=53
To be fair they are mainly leaving rather than coming . Poland has been having a good run of growth with good employment opportunities and with the £ in decline UK wages don't buy as  many Kielbasa's as they used to .

I suspect that with the Conservatives's very welcome points based immigration legislation, we will see far less unskilled and semi-skilled Eastern European workers arriving on our shores anyway.

I believe that by 2015/16 we had almost a million Poles in the UK which for the first time exceeded Indians. One problem with low paid foreign workers is that the majority live a subsistence life here, spending virtually nothing in our economy and sending the rest 'home', while a second is that they drive down wages for British workers, and a third is that they enable the feckless to cliam they can't get a job.

(A good friend of mine owns a building firm with around 16 employed workers of which 12 are Poles and Rumanians. Needless to say he is a Remainer and he is now wringing his hands about the impending cost of labour)

Churchill

I have always thought that when we leave the EU other nations may well follow our lead and hold referendums to leave as well, IMO many millions of people across the EU are not happy being in the EU
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Barry post_id=10482 time=1576610112 user_id=51
Minor trouble at mill, I think. I can't see them leaving while they are such net recipients, nor can I see the other 26 kicking them out after the UK have left. It will look too bad on the management.

GDP per capita is 11k dollars. In the City of London it is 200k dollars.

This is why the EU set up free trade areas in Poland and not London. This is why Poland's GDP growth was 4.7% in 2017. That's about 3x the average for a developed economy.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=10617 time=1576706943 user_id=75
The EU has invested a lot into Poland but if they insist.on becoming an authoritarian state the EU will have little choice but to kick them out.

For Poland you can read Hungary ,Czech Republic and Romania as countries that see  authoritarianism  as a way of keeping EU dominance  at bay .

Not that the EU itself can escape the charge of being  authoritarian itself , but that's another story .

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=10569 time=1576685302 user_id=63
True enough, as soon as the exchange rate dropped they started packing. They've been replaced by Romanians where i work.

Indeed also on construction sites in the South East we have for a few years now had the pleasure of Romanian labour gangs . It would follow that the economy of Romania will grow ,fuelled with wages obtained in western Europe ,the Romanians will mainly return home and the next wave of cheap labour will then come from the newly 'ascended' nations probably the likes of Albania ,Kosovo and other Balkan nations on the waiting to join the EU list .

Hopefully  that scenario has been avoided in the future and we have restricted workers from such nations to the people we need rather than those that need us .

Ciaphas

The EU has invested a lot into Poland but if they insist.on becoming an authoritarian state the EU will have little choice but to kick them out.

johnofgwent

To be fair they are mainly leaving rather than coming . Poland has been having a good run of growth with good employment opportunities and with the £ in decline UK wages don't buy as  many Kielbasa's as they used to .

True enough, as soon as the exchange rate dropped they started packing. They've been replaced by Romanians where i work.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

True. It is a storm in a cognac bottle. The EU v Poland and Hungary row has rumbled on for years. But the EU lacks the muscle to do anything and neither the Poles nor Hungarians want to leave.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=10535 time=1576673309 user_id=63
They might as well.

With us gone, where are they going to.send their people to.earn money now ??

johnofgwent

They might as well.

With us gone, where are they going to.send their people to.earn money now ??
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Strange that Poland's contribution of minus 10 billion exactly matches what they are going to loose when the UK leaves in January. Or am I being cynical 😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.