Main Menu

Tricky problem

Started by Borchester, November 25, 2021, 04:16:41 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on December 03, 2021, 10:11:42 PM
The Forestry Commission is the UK's largest landowner, the National Trust is second. The MOD is third and Crown Estates is fourth. The Queen personally owns Sandringham and some other properties but the rest of the Crown land she is the figurehead 'owner' of during her reign but doesn't have the power to sell it or leave it to anyone in her will. I confess I did check this on Wikipedia but it's what I thought was the situation anyway.

As for the National Trust. I belong to it and while it's not perfect and I've heard no so good tales about their 'regime' I think they do a good job for our country. A bit like the EU - not perfect but we were better off in it than out of it.

Ah. Sorry. I thought Forestry had been devolved these days, we for one never hear any more about them and keep hearing about some wankers called "natural resources Wales" who as far as I can tell do nothing except whinge when someone sets fire to some....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Post mk2

I'm with Borky on this,Don't like NT and don't like fox hunting.

I remember Spike Milligan called hunters including big ears a set of bastards  :D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HDQQ

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 25, 2021, 09:50:20 PM
They are the largest landowner in the UK after the queen.
The Forestry Commission is the UK's largest landowner, the National Trust is second. The MOD is third and Crown Estates is fourth. The Queen personally owns Sandringham and some other properties but the rest of the Crown land she is the figurehead 'owner' of during her reign but doesn't have the power to sell it or leave it to anyone in her will. I confess I did check this on Wikipedia but it's what I thought was the situation anyway.

As for the National Trust. I belong to it and while it's not perfect and I've heard no so good tales about their 'regime' I think they do a good job for our country. A bit like the EU - not perfect but we were better off in it than out of it.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 25, 2021, 09:18:44 PM
I dont see how upholding the law of the land is a political act JoG . They haven't banned hunting they have banned the hunts from dragging in case they decide to hunt ???

Aside that have I missed something in my suburban hovel regarding the NT  ?  I always saw them as country houses and old ladies walking around the gardens 

They are the largest landowner in the UK after the queen. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 25, 2021, 09:18:44 PM
I dont see how upholding the law of the land is a political act JoG . They haven't banned hunting they have banned the hunts from dragging in case they decide to hunt ???

Aside that have I missed something in my suburban hovel regarding the NT  ?  I always saw them as country houses and old ladies walking around the gardens 
I think you will find that there is a mini war going on currently between them and NT members. The scourge of woke seems to have infiltrated their organisation. Talk of volunteers having to add their pronoun to their badges etc. is just one skirmish.

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 25, 2021, 07:46:18 PM
Banning hunting is a political act

Political Acts are a violation of the Charity Commission requirements for charitable status

The National Trust is thus a charity in violation of its tax free status.

Tax and Penalise the bastard's.
I dont see how upholding the law of the land is a political act JoG . They haven't banned hunting they have banned the hunts from dragging in case they decide to hunt ???

Aside that have I missed something in my suburban hovel regarding the NT  ?   I always saw them as country houses and old ladies walking around the gardens  

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 25, 2021, 06:46:00 PM
The NT have acted correctly IMO . Made a decision that illegal activities  were  taking place on their land and acted swiftly .
Maybe put them in charge of  of the Met .
Banning hunting is a political act

Political Acts are a violation of the Charity Commission requirements for charitable status

The National Trust is thus a charity in violation of its tax free status.

Tax and Penalise the bastard's.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on November 25, 2021, 04:16:41 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59420935

I don't like fox hunting but I don't like the National Trust either.

One solution might be to increase the policing of illegal fox hunting, but legalise the hunting of the directors of the National Trust, who, being the sanctimonious shits that they are, would probably enjoy it.

Anybody else have any other ideas?
The NT have acted correctly IMO . Made a decision that illegal activities  were  taking place on their land and acted swiftly .
Maybe put them in charge of  of the Met .

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on November 25, 2021, 04:26:17 PM
A bit like the NT keeping everyone in after class, because little Jimmy wouldn't own up.

True.

It doesn't work and teachers know that, but they can't think of anything else to do so..

I have always found foxes rather timid creatures, but maybe the hunts could train packs of them to hunt down tree huggers? Everyone likes foxes and even tree huggers dislike each other so everyone should be happy.:)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

A bit like the NT keeping everyone in after class, because little Jimmy wouldn't own up.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 25, 2021, 04:16:41 PM

One solution might be to increase the policing of illegal fox hunting, but legalise the hunting of the directors of the National Trust, who, being the sanctimonious shits that they are, would probably enjoy it.

Frankly I don't like the assumption of guilt of all based on one case.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Algerie Francais !