Moronic Variant (also known as Omicron) - First Found In Fully Vaccinated

Started by Scott777, November 27, 2021, 08:37:03 AM

« previous - next »

Scott777

Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: srb7677 on November 27, 2021, 05:21:13 PM
Whether or not the omicron varient was first found in vaccinated people or not is essentially irrellevent.

One of the worrying possibilities about this variant is that it is more transmissable and vaccines might be less effective against it. If it was first found in vaccinated people - and that has not been confirmed - all this would tend to do as evidence is reinforce the possibility that vaccines are less effective against this variant.

Mind you, vaccines against this virus are not primarily designed to prevent the spread of the virus. Vaccinated people can still catch it. What they are designed to do is reduce the severity of the virus so that people recover after a period of illness without needing to go to hospital. The fact that most of those being hospitalised for it - and dying from it - are coming from the unvaccinated minority of idiotic anti-vaxxers tends to suggest that it is doing what it is supposed to do for most of those who have received the vaccine.

Sadly, though, they have yet to find an effective vaccine against stupidity.

And in these days I am highly suspicious when it comes to one trick ponies online who only ever talk about one subject, always trying to do their best to undermine public safety messages in a detrimental way.

I do wonder sometimes if such people are in the pay of bigger operators with ill intent.

Plenty of talk, but no substance.  I have one simple question.  Why vaccinate healthy young people?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/27/government-still-fighting-wrong-war-covid-19

QuoteAccording to the doctor who diagnosed it, omicron "presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two... They might have a slight cough."
And they think I'm the one obsessed. The government have really thrown a wobbler over this. Weird they want to close us down for Christmas again. It's almost as if they enjoy it.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on November 27, 2021, 06:56:33 PM
Here we go again.

I am exempt.
I think compulsory wearing of masks only makes sense. They do nothing to hinder economic activity as most measures would but do ensure that those wearing them are protecting everyone else from any virus infection they themselves might have. Thus mandating it for everyone ensures that we are all protecting each other from each other.

Of course, some people will have exemptions for medical reasons, which is fair enough. But not wearing masks should be the exception and not the norm. I continue to wear a mask when in shops and suchlike, including in my workplace, thereby doing my bit to protect others. I do find it annoying that I am constantly exposed to risk by ignorant and selfish tw*ts who refuse to for no good reason, being myself in a vulnerable group. I'd favour covid passports too so that those who choose to be unvaccinated are more restricted in their ability to put the rest of us at risk, as well as less likely to catch it themselves than otherwise, so they don't out of ignorance or stupidity impose unnecessary pressure on the NHS.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on November 27, 2021, 06:56:33 PM
Here we go again.

I am exempt.

You keep your chin up Barry, you are not alone and have friends you wouldn't even know about.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Whether or not the omicron varient was first found in vaccinated people or not is essentially irrellevent.

One of the worrying possibilities about this variant is that it is more transmissable and vaccines might be less effective against it. If it was first found in vaccinated people - and that has not been confirmed - all this would tend to do as evidence is reinforce the possibility that vaccines are less effective against this variant.

Mind you, vaccines against this virus are not primarily designed to prevent the spread of the virus. Vaccinated people can still catch it. What they are designed to do is reduce the severity of the virus so that people recover after a period of illness without needing to go to hospital. The fact that most of those being hospitalised for it - and dying from it - are coming from the unvaccinated minority of idiotic anti-vaxxers tends to suggest that it is doing what it is supposed to do for most of those who have received the vaccine.

And in these days I am highly suspicious when it comes to one trick ponies online who only ever talk about one subject, always trying to do their best to undermine public safety messages in a detrimental way.

I do wonder sometimes if such people are in the pay of bigger operators with ill intent.
Blog – The Covid Physician (art.blog)
We have even taken up spotting the weird and just plain strange, now who is who?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Here we go again.

• Prime Minister confirms new, temporary measures to respond to emergence of UK cases of the Omicron variant
  • All international arrivals to take a Day 2 PCR test and self-isolate until they receive a negative test
  • [highlight]Face coverings to be made compulsory in shops and public transport[/highlight]
  • Measures are precautionary, and will be reviewed in three weeks
      All contacts of suspected Omicron cases must self-isolate for 10 days, regardless of their vaccination status. They will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace.
I am exempt. 
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Some relevant research with caveats:-

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.03.21258228v1.full

Persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection and intra-host evolution in association with advanced HIV infection
F KarimMYS MoosaBI GosnellS CeleJ GiandhariS PillayH TegallyE WilkinsonJE SanN MsomiK MlisanaK KhanM BernsteinN ManickchundL SinghU RamphalCOMMIT-KZN TeamW HanekomRJ Lessells View ORCID ProfileA Sigal View ORCID ProfileT de Oliveira
doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.06.03.21258228
This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 27, 2021, 05:33:28 PM
There are a few candidates on this forum for such a vaccine.
You might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

There are a few candidates on this forum for such a vaccine.

srb7677

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on November 27, 2021, 03:57:45 PM
have to dismiss it then  as another of your "claims".
It was not a claim, it is a possibility being investigated. France 24 has reports from Africa several times a day.

Scott777

Quote from: cromwell on November 27, 2021, 02:31:27 PM
https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/patient-zero-understanding-how-new-coronavirus-variants-emerge

Make of it what you will.
I just have to point out that GAVI is heavily funded by some geezer called Bill Gates, who has shares in vaccines.  So far, his foundation has funded 4.1 billion USD.