Sir Keir Starmer hints at banning private healthcare

Started by Borchester, November 28, 2021, 02:22:40 PM

« previous - next »

Ratcliff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 29, 2021, 09:22:31 AM
So they do not provide comprehensive all risks health cover.

Private hospitals do not provide private health insurance cover ,that is the job of  insurance companies who operate in that field

Ratcliff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 29, 2021, 08:18:36 AM
Care to provide a list please, and have they got full A&E facilities and private ambulances to pick up casualties from accidents.
No I do not care to , look it up yourself ,  you have said that in your opinion private care is a rip off so which private hospitals have HDU/ICU should not concern you in any way. There is a national ambulance service for casualties with a single emergency phone number 999 , funded by the taxpayer - having a secondary private ambulance emergency service would be an inefficient use of resources - any casualties taken by ambulance to a NHS hospital can arrange transfer by private ambulance to a private hospital if they choose to (subj to the quarantine period that most private hospitals have always imposed on transferees from an NHS system with its poor hospital acquired infections rates)

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 29, 2021, 10:23:59 AM
But neither does the NHS. As you are quite well aware, these days the NHS sends out letters explaining the advantages of signing a DNR notice and dying instead of becoming a pain ridden burden on a COVID laden hospital ...
Those were soon stopped due to public outrage.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on November 29, 2021, 09:22:31 AM

But neither does the NHS. As you are quite well aware, these days the NHS sends out letters explaining the advantages of signing a DNR notice and dying instead of becoming a pain ridden burden on a COVID laden hospital ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 29, 2021, 08:32:50 AM
They don't need A&E as I said above, it's a referral system.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on November 29, 2021, 08:32:50 AM
An unfair one all the same.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 29, 2021, 08:18:36 AM
Care to provide a list please, and have they got full A&E facilities and private ambulances to pick up casualties from accidents.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Ratcliff on November 28, 2021, 10:54:00 PM
There are private casualty departments at some private hospitals and many private hospitals have high dependency and/or intensive care facilities

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on November 28, 2021, 09:51:59 PM
So because YOU can't afford it it should be scrapped, is that what you're saying?
As borchester stated, that is the politics of envy, and I bet you a pound to a pinch of sh*t Starmer has private health care.
I don't doubt Steamer has got insurance,but it is cobblers that it's the politics of envy.......it's the politics of money.

Ratcliff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 28, 2021, 07:49:08 PM
Nonsense, private health care does not even carry out a lot of what the NHS does. There are no private casualty departments for a start, and if you do develop serious issues in a private hospital you get moved to an NHS A&E.
There are private casualty departments at some private hospitals and many private hospitals have high dependency and/or intensive care facilities
I'm unaware of treatments only carried out solely by the NHS (please feel free to enlighten me and I will check your claim) , vice versa maybe as there are treatments availably privately that are not carried out by the NHS

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on November 28, 2021, 09:59:53 PM
That's because private health care works on a jumping to the front of the queue system, A&E is already a pinnacle process. How can you leapfrog a pinnacle process?

Well, these days you die in ambulances waiting to get into the A and E ward. The bright, brand new Llantarnam Grange Hospital had me sitting in a waiting room with heart failure for an hour and sitting in an ambulance in the car park after a stroke for 90 minutes

This is not how it used to be. I speak from experience of being an ambulance arrival through no fault of my own on three occasions before Blair handed the NHS in Wales to Labour.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 28, 2021, 07:49:08 PM
Nonsense, private health care does not even carry out a lot of what the NHS does. There are no private casualty departments for a start, and if you do develop serious issues in a private hospital you get moved to an NHS A&E.
That's because private health care works on a jumping to the front of the queue system, A&E is already a pinnacle process. How can you leapfrog a pinnacle process?

But yes, many private hospitals don't have any form of crash facilities or ICU, but what they do have is the ability to get you to the #1 slot when they refer you back to the NHS.  

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 28, 2021, 05:27:23 PM
More to the point I regularly check on what the NHS treatment, regular tests and medication would cost me if I had to pay privately.
I could not afford private health care.
So because YOU can't afford it it should be scrapped, is that what you're saying?
As borchester stated, that is the politics of envy, and I bet you a pound to a pinch of sh*t Starmer has private health care. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 28, 2021, 02:38:32 PM
Why do you think that would be a vote loser?
You do know the demographic of Tory voters and how many people have private health care as part of their employment contract?

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 28, 2021, 05:27:23 PM
More to the point I regularly check on what the NHS treatment, regular tests and medication would cost me if I had to pay privately.
I could not afford private health care.
I am not a fan of private healthcare,however in the game of Westminster tennis the Nhs through no fault of its own gone wrong.

Its no good blaming the tories two party politics meddling instead of cooperation,a brilliant concept ground down by bureaucratic bungling.

My wife desperately ill was forced to go the private route  to bypass the nhs wait list.

In principle I was against that but what do you do when so ill and faced with "our target is x amount of months so you'll have to wait won't you"

I favour one final overhaul of the nhs and it then be run by an all party group in the interests of the population with charges where appropriate.