Has our government let us down?

Started by HallowedBrexit, November 30, 2021, 10:02:24 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Barry on November 30, 2021, 12:05:58 PM
It was great to see Charles and Camilla jetting off to Barbados on the PM's RAF plane ZZ336.
[highlight]I just wonder why they popped into Mildenhall on the way, because it isn't and it must have used a lot of fuel pumping a load more CO2 into the atmosphere, increasing the world's temp over 5.5C already.[/highlight] I'd have thought they would have done a Greta and got on a luxury sail powered catamaran and enjoyed vomiting across the Atlantic, before returning on a container ship.
Let Barbados people do as they think best. HM Queen has wished them well, probably whilst blowing a raspberry.
These things all get revealed, eventually.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on December 06, 2021, 11:12:03 AM
I don't think even Nigel Farage suggested Brexit would mean re-establishing our colonial possessions. What Brexit is likely to do is further weaken the UK leading to its disintegration. It also probably means it will be a lot easier for Spain to get Gibraltar back, since the EU and just about any country that has an opinion would take Spain's side in any dispute.

Re the Falklands. I understand they were a French possession when Britain occupied them. The occupation went unchallenged by France and we sort of kept them hoping nobody would notice! A bit like what the Argentinans hoped thought they could do.
So what you're saying is that the EU aid Spain in getting Gibraltar?
How are they going to do that seeing as it's a U.K. dependancy and 99% voted to stay that way. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on November 30, 2021, 10:02:24 AM
I'm obviously talking about the loss of Barbados here.

Brexit was meant to be a voyage into the wider world and the reestablishment of our colonial possessions. Now Northern Ireland is under siege and Barbados has declared independence.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1529012/royal-family-barbados-colonialism-slavery-republic-profit-apologise-queen-elizabeth-vn

Maggie would have never let this happen. Union Flag
I don't think even Nigel Farage suggested Brexit would mean re-establishing our colonial possessions. What Brexit is likely to do is further weaken the UK leading to its disintegration. It also probably means it will be a lot easier for Spain to get Gibraltar back, since the EU and just about any country that has an opinion would take Spain's side in any dispute.

Re the Falklands. I understand they were a French possession when Britain occupied them. The occupation went unchallenged by France and we sort of kept them hoping nobody would notice! A bit like what the Argentinans hoped thought they could do.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 30, 2021, 11:07:35 AMIntensified calls for British MP Drax to return plantation property
Return it to who?
This is another situation like Argentina wanting the Falklands given 'back' to them: Argentina didn't even exist as a country when the UK took over the island. And the African slaves where landed in Barbados as the plantations where developed so they certainly don't have any claim to the place. The last few remaining Caribs would have some form of claim but I'm fairly sure it isn't them shouting the odds.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 30, 2021, 05:26:21 PM
I heard a TV presenter talking to people and there seems to be some mixed feelings about the whole thing.

I can't see why.  As Streetwalker said, it is purely ceremonial. The Jamaican Labour party can bang on about how it has won a resounding victory over colonialism and Big Ears will have to find somewhere for his winter hols. The main concern must be that the UK does not use this as an excuse to cancel the arrangement whereby the Windward Islands sell us over priced bananas.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 30, 2021, 05:21:11 PM
Indeed and little will change but for pomp and ceremony  . Barbados remains a member of the Commonwealth after removing the Queen as head of state .

If only leaving the EU was as simple
I heard a TV presenter talking to people and there seems to be some mixed feelings about the whole thing. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on November 30, 2021, 12:28:36 PM
Barbados has been independent for 55 years.
Indeed and little will change but for pomp and ceremony  . Barbados remains a member of the Commonwealth after removing the Queen as head of state .

If only leaving the EU was as simple 

Sampanviking

Quote from: Nick on November 30, 2021, 04:43:46 PM
The internet is riddled with the same story, but you'll no doubt deny it. You have got to bear in mind I've worked extensively all over China and have seen how the country operates.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/world-news/china-uses-huawei-cameras-to-spy-on-african-union-headquarters/amp_articleshow/79981099.cms
So why use the Jai Hind press to try and prove it :D
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that "oh they would never do such a thing", but more "and so does everybody else" and the west far more and for far longer than anybody else.
I also know how the country operates and for the ordinary guy and girl, there is nothing remotely scary about it, in fact quite the opposite.

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 30, 2021, 04:36:13 PM
Really do you have any reliable links to same?
sounds far more like the yanks to me, now public knowledge courtesy of Julian Assange.
The internet is riddled with the same story, but you'll no doubt deny it. You have got to bear in mind I've worked extensively all over China and have seen how the country operates. 

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/world-news/china-uses-huawei-cameras-to-spy-on-african-union-headquarters/amp_articleshow/79981099.cms

Sampanviking

Quote from: Nick on November 30, 2021, 03:40:56 PM
Other lenders don't tend to build government building and fill them with spy gear without permission.
Really do you have any reliable links to same?
sounds far more like the yanks to me, now public knowledge courtesy of Julian Assange.

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 30, 2021, 02:27:36 PM
Next year Jamaica will do the same.
You can blame that on the Chinese as well, or is that Putin or the Ayatollah or maybe even Mr Kim?

Yes I read the Daily Tel Aviv Agraph about Chinese sinister practice of lending money to enable the building of infrastructure in many Commonwealth countries.
All I can say is that there are other lenders, many established in the west with long histories with these countries. If in spite (or because) of that they still turn to Beijing, whose fault can that possibly be?
Other lenders don't tend to build government building and fill them with spy gear without permission. 

Sampanviking

Next year Jamaica will do the same.
You can blame that on the Chinese as well, or is that Putin or the Ayatollah or maybe even Mr Kim?

Yes I read the Daily Tel Aviv Agraph about Chinese sinister practice of lending money to enable the building of infrastructure in many Commonwealth countries.
All I can say is that there are other lenders, many established in the west with long histories with these countries. If in spite (or because) of that they still turn to Beijing, whose fault can that possibly be?

Borchester

So does that mean Barbados has cast aside its ancient loyalties and as part of the Windward Islands, is now in a position to threaten the trade routes between the West Indies and East Africa?

God knows what will happen to the slave trade.

And if we can't trade blacks for tobacco, that could well affect our relationship with the North American colonies.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on November 30, 2021, 10:02:24 AM
I'm obviously talking about the loss of Barbados here.

Brexit was meant to be a voyage into the wider world and the reestablishment of our colonial possessions. Now Northern Ireland is under siege and Barbados has declared independence.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1529012/royal-family-barbados-colonialism-slavery-republic-profit-apologise-queen-elizabeth-vn

Maggie would have never let this happen. Union Flag
And I hate to blow your bubble here HB but Barbados has been independent for 55 years,I know the post can be a bit slow but was the envelope this news came to you in have a stamp commemorating England winning World Cup? :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?