Voters 'Have A Right' To Elect Racists And Misogynists, Says Tory MP

Started by papasmurf, December 03, 2021, 12:32:28 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on December 03, 2021, 10:08:02 PM
Well, Jeremy Corbyn is still MP for Islington North
I would tread carefully if I were you Corbyn has just been awarded substantial damages.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on December 03, 2021, 10:08:02 PM

And David Lammy and Corbyns Girlfriend Flabbott seem to be long term members too
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 03, 2021, 11:50:38 PM
And if they continue in office then they will get sacked.
No sign of that happening to Bojo-The-Clown. (Yet.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 03, 2021, 12:32:28 PM
I thought voters already had elected racists and misogynists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59508496

Voters have right to elect a misogynist or racist, says MP Swayne

Published19 hours ago

A Conservative MP has spoken up for the right of voters to elect racists or misogynists if that is who they want to represent them.

Sir Desmond Swayne said he hoped his constituents would never make such a choice, but it would be anti-democratic to police MPs' views.
It comes after the standards committee suggested MPs should "demonstrate anti-discriminatory attitudes".
The committee is drawing up proposals for a new code of conduct for MPs.

And if they continue in office then they will get sacked.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on December 03, 2021, 09:49:34 PM

Having said that, if voters have a right to elect racists or misogynists, then what about communists, fascists, people who advocate the UK's sovereignty should be handed to Zimbabwe or people who want to legalise cannibalism between consenting adults? Where would the line be drawn?

Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

The goalposts are constantly shifting on what's considered by some to be racist or mysogenistic.

Having said that, if voters have a right to elect racists or misogynists, then what about communists, fascists, people who advocate the UK's sovereignty should be handed to Zimbabwe or people who want to legalise cannibalism between consenting adults? Where would the line be drawn?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on December 03, 2021, 06:45:35 PM
Well there are haters in and out of parliament aren't there Smurfy?
Racists And Misogynists are everywhere.

cromwell

Published19 hours ago

A Conservative MP has spoken up for the right of voters to elect racists or misogynists if that is who they want to represent them.

Sir Desmond Swayne said he hoped his constituents would never make such a choice, but it would be anti-democratic to police MPs' views.
It comes after the standards committee suggested MPs should "demonstrate anti-discriminatory attitudes".

Well there are haters in and out of parliament aren't there Smurfy?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Published19 hours ago

I could name a few.

Fact is, the Representation Of The People Acts allow the duly registered voter to nominate, second and vite for all sorts of people others would find unpalatable.

Irish and Welsh Terrorists have found their way to ballot papers and some have been elected. As the letters page noted, there was an error inRtin McGuinness' obituary. It stated he left a widow and two children. In fact he left behind far, far more, and some widowers too. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Published19 hours ago

I can see the argument for this. Should all MPs be clones? Are we never to have any mavericks? It won't be just misogyny and racism - it will be all the woke rubbish too. How can debate in the House function if half of people's opinions are already banned?

papasmurf

Published19 hours ago

It comes after the standards committee suggested MPs should "demonstrate anti-discriminatory attitudes".