Just Virtue signalling?

Started by T00ts, December 07, 2021, 01:16:15 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on December 07, 2021, 01:58:53 PM
What exactly is the harm?

Well, I would say that seems obvious. 

There comes a point where, because the twatterverse glorifies black hearted corrupt child exploiting scum who throw a few pennies from the pounds they profiteer towards the virtue signalled causes the twatterverse twats about, and those same twatterers crucify any who fail to bow to the whim of the ranters, nervous CEOs and CFO throw money and swear they believe in the cause while in fact all they really fear is damage to the bank balance.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 07, 2021, 07:25:43 PM
Yes by Birmingham City the team his extended family followed I would say it was a fine gesture . Im not sure I see the  point at  Watford  or Newcastle .

And that's my view too.

The question "what's the harm" was put.

I ask a different one "what's the point".

When I started reading this thread that was my first thought. I am quite ignorant of the details of this case but I suspect I won't be for too much longer. In view of the fact this kid thought of himself as he a supporter then I'm with Nick it was a fine gesture by the club / players towards a kid who thought of himself as a supporter but like SW says if another club, or another sport, joined in without any obvious direct connection then I see no point.

It's not going to make any difference though. Moira will be typing up another set of court documents for some other poor sod treated the same way before long because as was said in another thread it doesn't matter how grotesque this was, someone will repeat it within a year or two, five at most 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on December 07, 2021, 03:47:27 PM
Sorry but I've got to disagree with you on this. I think it was a fine gesture by Birmingham City.
Yes by Birmingham City the team his extended family followed I would say it was a fine gesture . Im not sure I see the  point at  Watford  or Newcastle . 

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on December 07, 2021, 01:16:15 PM
Footballers taking the knee was one thing but has it become just the thin edge of the wedge? The latest has been applause in the 6th minute for little Arthur. Now make no mistake I have shed tears for that little boy but is there really a need for massive displays? Is it even appropriate?

When my husband died every football team in my County did a minute silence in tribute since he was big in footy locally, and I understand when a big player/manager has a similar tribute, but if we start for one where does it stop? Won't we get to a point, if this carries on, where we have some 'cause' every week?
Sorry but I've got to disagree with you on this. I think it was a fine gesture by Birmingham City. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on December 07, 2021, 02:17:27 PM
On the face of it I think I would agree and just as I appreciated the tribute paid to my late husband I am sure the family were very touched. However there comes a point as SW has mentioned when it loses something.
As said though the mail are trying to play to the current everything is woke,and it's not.

The mail have long had form,I can dig out the headline prewar if you like "Hurrah for the blackshirts" and what fools we were being suspicious of fascism, remember then as now anti Semitism was on the up and Churchill was dismissed as a war monger and trouble maker.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on December 07, 2021, 01:58:53 PM
What exactly is the harm?
On the face of it I think I would agree and just as I appreciated the tribute paid to my late husband I am sure the family were very touched. However there comes a point as SW has mentioned when it loses something. 

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on December 07, 2021, 01:52:33 PM
You've been reading the Wail haven't you?

The point was the lad was a Birmingham city supporter,his lovely father cut the shirt up in front of him in another of his very horrible attacks on his own son.

I do go on a footy forum and the majority of supporters are not in the old image of a lot of scrotes and hooligans,there are many families go now and the feelings mirror the disgust felt by the rest of society.

Applause or silence people saw the need to show how they felt,you can guarantee if the crowds had ignored it and booed or chanted through that the wail would've worked itself up into self righteous frenzy about subhuman fans disregarding a heartfelt tribute to a murdered child.

As far as footy and many other things the papers talk a lot of crap and use click bait
TBH I did see the headline but didn't read the article. It's a story that upsets me enough already. I did however question it in my own mind when I saw it on the news and wondered how others felt about not just that but the trend - if it does prove to be a trend.

Streetwalker

Footballers taking the knee was one thing but has it become just the thin edge of the wedge? The latest has been applause in the 6th minute for little Arthur. Now make no mistake I have shed tears for that little boy but is there really a need for massive displays? Is it even appropriate?

When my husband died every football team in my County did a minute silence in tribute since he was big in footy locally, and I understand when a big player/manager has a similar tribute, but if we start for one where does it stop? Won't we get to a point, if this carries on, where we have some 'cause' every week?
Indeed where does it stop ?   As you say we seem to be having a minutes silence at almost every game these days . The BLM knee taking has been replace with no discrimination anywhere knee taking with black players giving a black power salute (go figure ) .  Rainbow laces to tell us gays welcome here (I didnt know the were not unless they were Brighton supporters )  

Its strangely infectious as well ,makes me laugh when Im watching a game in the pub and they have a minutes silence  and you see the numpties joining in . The boozer goes quiet with the odd shoosh! if anyone dare speak . I always find it a good chance to shout 2 pints of Youngs special  a Guinness and a pint of Stella please Mandy which is apparently now a hanging offence . 

But there you go , there is a difference between showing respect and virtue signalling , unfortunately the latter has somewhat diluted the former . And that Nalaar is the harm 

Nalaar

Don't believe everything you think.

cromwell

You've been reading the Wail haven't you?

The point was the lad was a Birmingham city supporter,his lovely father cut the shirt up in front of him in another of his very horrible attacks on his own son.

I do go on a footy forum and the majority of supporters are not in the old image of a lot of scrotes and hooligans,there are many families go now and the feelings mirror the disgust felt by the rest of society.

Applause or silence people saw the need to show how they felt,you can guarantee if the crowds had ignored it and booed or chanted through that the wail would've worked itself up into self righteous frenzy about subhuman fans disregarding a heartfelt tribute to a murdered child.

As far as footy and many other things the papers talk a lot of crap and use click bait 
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

When my husband died every football team in my County did a minute silence in tribute since he was big in footy locally, and I understand when a big player/manager has a similar tribute, but if we start for one where does it stop? Won't we get to a point, if this carries on, where we have some 'cause' every week?