Voters will have to show ID

Started by Scott777, October 13, 2019, 10:10:11 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=659 time=1571084910 user_id=59
Quote from: Churchill post_id=534 time=1571051726 user_id=69
I do not have a problem with UK ID cards at all, most European Countries issue them to their citizens as already stated  one of the problems we have is not knowing how many people are in the UK at the present time, or if they are lawfully here and most importantly who or what they are.

If they were resurrected I think it may increase our security within our own borders, provided they could not be easily forged and easily checkable when presented or demanded.

It only helps prevent illegal immigration if ID is compulsory, which will facilitate totalitarianism.  Bad idea.

Yes Scott totally agree a  bad idea,the very short road to control and loss of freedom.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Scott777

Quote from: Churchill post_id=534 time=1571051726 user_id=69
I do not have a problem with UK ID cards at all, most European Countries issue them to their citizens as already stated  one of the problems we have is not knowing how many people are in the UK at the present time, or if they are lawfully here and most importantly who or what they are.

If they were resurrected I think it may increase our security within our own borders, provided they could not be easily forged and easily checkable when presented or demanded.

It only helps prevent illegal immigration if ID is compulsory, which will facilitate totalitarianism.  Bad idea.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=644 time=1571081187 user_id=54
There will have to be a free 'poll permit' available from all supermarkets, GP surgeries, Post offices, banks etc. I wonder what that would cost.

It should be free.

I've just heard a suggestion that this policy is more likely to deter lower socio-economic groups from voting, and which way are they likely to vote?

:roll:
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=642 time=1571080953 user_id=51
No one has answered what photo ID people will provide who don't have it. Therefore the idea is already flawed.

There will have to be a free 'poll permit' available from all supermarkets, GP surgeries, Post offices, banks etc. I wonder what that would cost.

Barry

No one has answered what photo ID people will provide who don't have it. Therefore the idea is already flawed.
† The end is nigh †

Churchill

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=519 time=1571036953 user_id=59
Quote from: Barry post_id=500 time=1571003298 user_id=51
Hmmm, OK. I agree in principal as anything to prevent electoral fraud has to be good.

However:

THIS:

I know there are not many people without photo ID, but the fact there are people without driving licences AND passports, suggests the need for an ID card. I have no problem with this, but I know there are plenty of people that do.

It will also help identify and control who is in the country legally.

To be precise, I could not support compulsory ID cards.  But a requirement purely for voting seems fine.  I think the thin end of the wedge is only when you have to carry ID at all times, but It's a big leap from 'voting' to 'walking down the street'.

Some may not like this but my opinion is

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester post_id=502 time=1571003893 user_id=62
Bollocks to that. I am not some towelhead from Tower Hamlets or an Ulster nun. I have voted at the same polling station for the last thirty years without showing ID and I don't intend to start now.

Read a wee bit about this borkie the other day. Looks to be nothing more than a cynical attempt to disenfranchise voters and make things more difficult for folk to vote.

In  elections last year , i read reports out of the millions of votes cast , there were a mere 8 cases of electoral fraud this type of voting with ID is meant to protect from.

Sounds a bit of a joke  , and a bit of an own goal by the tories.

QuoteThe Electoral Reform Society claimed that out of millions of votes cast in the UK last year, there were just eight allegations of personation fraud – the type of fraud that voter ID is meant to prevent.

Darren Hughes, the chief executive of the ERS, said: "When millions of people lack photo ID, these mooted plans risk raising the drawbridge to huge numbers of marginalised voters – including many elderly and BAME [black, Asian and minority ethnic] voters.

"The government have sat on their hands in the face of the actual threats to electoral integrity: anonymous 'dark ads', dodgy donations and disinformation. Instead of taking on the real issues, they are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

"Make no mistake, these plans will leave tens of thousands of legitimate voters voiceless. Ministers should focus on combating the real threats to our democracy, rather than suppressing voters' rights."

He added: "This gamble with our democracy will strike many voters as US-style gerrymandering, with Britain's tradition of trust at the ballot box abolished in one swoop. Ministers must think again."

[/b]

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/13/conservatives-accused-of-election-rigging-leaked-id-plans-voter-fraud?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other">https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other">https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/13/conservatives-accused-of-election-rigging-leaked-id-plans-voter-fraud?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I think there must be far better ways of stopping any potential voting fraud.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Churchill

Wife and I have Postal Votes for the simple reason in the past we have not been able to vote due to work , left home before the Polling Station opened and closed before we got back, on one occasion I was working abroad
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Scott777

Hmmm, OK. I agree in principal as anything to prevent electoral fraud has to be good.

However:

THIS:
QuoteMinisters are planning to introduce a legal requirement for voters to produce photographic ID, in order to safeguard against electoral fraud.

I know there are not many people without photo ID, but the fact there are people without driving licences AND passports, suggests the need for an ID card. I have no problem with this, but I know there are plenty of people that do.

To be precise, I could not support compulsory ID cards.  But a requirement purely for voting seems fine.  I think the thin end of the wedge is only when you have to carry ID at all times, but It's a big leap from 'voting' to 'walking down the street'.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick post_id=509 time=1571005147 user_id=73
How does this stop the electoral fraud during the count?

Surely this is where things can get exploited the most?

The count is pretty locked down nick and all the people do there is actually count under the eye of various party candidates and party members .

Most of the fraud I believe is in the postal vote system especially in areas of high Asian populations  where people are encouraged/told  to register for postal votes which are then filled in by others .

Stopping the postal vote with some exemptions would go a long way in reducing  voting fraud and is something the Brexit party called for after narrowly being beaten in Peterborough by a labour team that included  a previously convicted election fraudster

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=507 time=1571004630 user_id=48
Quote from: T00ts post_id=501 time=1571003475 user_id=54
What about postal voters?

They'll have to show an unused postage stamp. :D

:lol:  :lol:

Nick

How does this stop the electoral fraud during the count?

Surely this is where things can get exploited the most?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts post_id=501 time=1571003475 user_id=54
What about postal voters?

They'll have to show an unused postage stamp. :D

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=502 time=1571003893 user_id=62
Bollocks to that. I am not some towelhead from Tower Hamlets or an Ulster nun. I have voted at the same polling station for the last thirty years without showing ID and I don't intend to start now.

Are you Boris in disguise? If it's the law it's the law. You wanna vote? Get you card out!   :lol:

cromwell

However:

THIS:
QuoteMinisters are planning to introduce a legal requirement for voters to produce photographic ID, in order to safeguard against electoral fraud.

Yeah me! Thin end of the wedge Barry where it will start that only such as the police will be able to demand it and then before you know where you are some snotty nosed kid will be demanding it because his superiors have told him,seen it all before.