Why has the flu all but disappeared?

Started by Sheepy, December 11, 2021, 10:02:19 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2021, 03:48:44 PM
I don't have a  problem, free lateral flow tests, Vaccination passports and venues I use require a vaccination passport and a negative Covid test within 36 hours of entry. No stroppy bastards scared of vaccinations let in.

I don't feel so good. I keep getting these bug that knock me out for a week on so. Usually I go to the allotment and do a bit of digging, which gives me a good night's sleep and burns the flu off. But I can't because it is raining. I don't mind being cold and I don't being wet, but I can't dig when I am slipping and sliding in mud.

What I really need is cheering up. I think that I will go down to The Lizard, knock on Pappy's door, wish him the complements of the season and then sneeze all over him. That should give us both a good  laugh

:)Dancing
Algerie Francais !

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2021, 01:38:39 PM
 and events I am going to in Britain in the next few months require vaccine passes and a negative Covid test within 36 hours of arrival.

You need both?  But if you have a negative test, why would you need the passport?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on December 11, 2021, 03:25:47 PM
folk saying as well whats the point in telling people you need to jab 40 million across the uk every three months to keep freedoms then the next telling folk to isolate regardless of vaccination.
I dunno, I don't even want to think about the twisted logic.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2021, 03:48:44 PM
I don't have a  problem, free lateral flow tests, Vaccination passports and venues I use require a vaccination passport and a negative Covid test within 36 hours of entry. No stroppy bastards scared of vaccinations let in.

it isnt going away , and meanwhile , whats left of your life is being wasted living in terror . No lateral flow tests , vaccinations or any sort of passport is going to stop covid .

We daily hear people who are taking all the measures you mention and more catching it.

Edit - T00ts
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 11, 2021, 03:13:51 PM
You keep safe, PS. We'll carry on with life.
I don't have a  problem, free lateral flow tests, Vaccination passports and venues I use require a vaccination passport and a negative Covid test within 36 hours of entry. No stroppy bastards scared of vaccinations let in.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

folk saying as well whats the point in telling people you need to jab 40 million across the uk every three months to keep freedoms then the next telling folk to isolate regardless of vaccination.

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on December 11, 2021, 03:13:51 PM
People are constantly commenting that governments across europe are quick to spread the bad news that omicron seems to be more transmissable , but seem strangely quiet on the good news it appears based on study to be much much milder .

Why?

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2021, 02:57:16 PM
Thomas it is better to be safe than sorry, it will take several weeks before for ANYONE can come to a conclusion.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2021, 02:57:16 PM
Thomas it is better to be safe than sorry, it will take several weeks before for ANYONE can come to a conclusion.
omicron is spreading rapidly through scotland at the minute despite all the extreme measures krankie has took. Its like standing on the beach trying to stop the tide with your hands.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 11, 2021, 02:36:42 PM
Despite being found in over 36 countires at present , the omicron variant of covid hasnt produced a single recorded death im told .

Thomas it is better to be safe than sorry, it will take several weeks before for ANYONE can come to a conclusion.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on December 11, 2021, 02:12:03 PM
You worry me as usual Ducky, I will repeat it, because it seems only two people can get close, that isn't what the science says. I was using it to point out how easily people believe their own planted prejudices.
Despite being found in over 36 countires at present , the omicron variant of covid hasnt produced a single recorded death im told .

Some people sheep just need their hands held to calm their fears. Others get out and protest at clear abuse of power and taking away of personal freedoms.

https://www.lesoir.be/410548/article/2021-12-05/manifestation-contre-les-mesures-sanitaires-bruxelles-nouveaux-incidents-la

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on December 11, 2021, 01:56:53 PM
Partly because lockdowns and other precautions against covid-19 have also prevented the spread of any flu virus, which is spread in a similar way.

Also probably partly also because we have just been lucky with respect to flu inasmuch as it just hasn't materialised on any scale. "Lucky" probably isn't quite the right word, since seasonal flu on its own doesn't cause anything like the rate of serious illness or deaths as covid and the world has been decidely unlucky with the latter.

Flu does cause a few deaths but if it's caught in combination with covid the outlook is worsened considerably, apparently.
You worry me as usual Ducky, I will repeat it, because it seems only two people can get close, that isn't what the science says. I was using it to point out how easily people believe their own planted prejudices. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on December 11, 2021, 01:48:32 PM
You don't know it worked. You don't know how many people were infected.

Ignore him barry . I suspect he hasnt been further than a mile inland from some breton coastal resort , and doesnt have a clue about the effectiveness or otherwise about these disgracefull vaccine passports.

They are deeply unpopular in France and many other european countries , there are constant mass protests , belgians recently were being watercannoned , and one of the belgian regions recently ruled they were illegal.

Nothing more than yet another comfort blanket for hysterics to cling to as well as yet more lessening of our freedoms.

Be thankfull , for all johnsons problems , you live in a liberal democracy like england and dont have mamie krankie or macron stripping you of freedoms and rights.

Vaccine passports quite clearly do nothing , and if i can find it , i recently read an article where the scot government itself admitted they are next to useless.

HDQQ

Partly because lockdowns and other precautions against covid-19 have also prevented the spread of any flu virus, which is spread in a similar way.

Also probably partly also because we have just been lucky with respect to flu inasmuch as it just hasn't materialised on any scale. "Lucky" probably isn't quite the right word, since seasonal flu on its own doesn't cause anything like the rate of serious illness or deaths as covid and the world has been decidely unlucky with the latter.

Flu does cause a few deaths but if it's caught in combination with covid the outlook is worsened considerably, apparently.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2021, 01:38:39 PM
On my recent holiday in Brittany where vaccine passes are compulsory for gaining access to bars, restaurants and venues, the system worked well with most places full or close to it with customers.
You don't know it worked. You don't know how many people were infected.

I have no time at all for objectors to the system, 

We know, you support the Tory's system.

Quoteand events I am going to in Britain in the next few months require vaccine passes and a negative Covid test within 36 hours of arrival.

This may give you an illusion of safety from infection. You can still contract it. We are all likely to get it, one way or another. Good luck.
† The end is nigh †