If UK was a US State it would now be the poorest, says new productivity report

Started by Borchester, December 13, 2021, 08:31:01 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Technology is fine but I do wonder when the head of Malvern College tells us that writing in exams is really too tiring for students!

Borchester

Quote from: Baff on December 14, 2021, 12:27:06 PM
It's been 5 years since I taught.
Almost all of it in the private sector.

By the end of my 30 year run I typically supplied all my own resources.
And I had some pretty nifty kit.

Or so I thought.
Until I did some supply teaching in the state sector!

It differs from school to school. Some spend more on facilities, others spend more on resources, others still spend it on wages.

My little mobile pocket projector which cost me a few bob just looked stupid compared to the touch screen interactive whiteboards of today.
(I'd bought it to end the photocopier battles).
My carefully husbanded archive of lessons plans and my little library, that would earn me the training positions back in the day....utterly outmoded by online resources today.
Lesson planning is a piece of piss these days.

As per usual I had turned up with all my own kit.... Lol.
Thinking I would be showing off to everyone. Pfft.
What retard I turned out to be.

A mate of mine was asked about his teaching aids and he picked up a piece of chalk. He was also inclined to give his class a problem, sigh and tell them of course, he didn't expect them to crack it. And as often as not a few kids would.

A bit of humour and enthusiasm goes a long way
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Baff on December 14, 2021, 12:27:06 PM

Or so I thought.

It differs from school to school. Some spend more on facilities, others spend more on resources, others still spend it on wages.

My little mobile pocket projector which cost me a few bob just looked stupid compared to the touch screen interactive whiteboards of today.
My carefully husbanded archive of lessons plans and my little library, that would earn me the training positions back in the day....utterly outmoded by online resources today.

Everything changes so fast technology wise,not sure it helps literacy though.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Baff

Or so I thought.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on December 14, 2021, 08:24:39 AM
doesnt England have a similar problem according to the guardian cromwell?

Supply teachers: 'I spend £1,000 a year on materials for my pupils'
New research shows that 94% of staff pay for essential classroom materials. Five teachers describe how the schools funding crisis is leaving them out of pocket

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/18/supply-teachers-spend-1000-on-materials-for-pupils-budget-cuts

The problem is that no one works as hard as teachers or doctors and no one moans as much either. A grand a year isn't much and when you take  kids barely  literate in English and they end up with  First Class Honours degrees from Oxbridge, a few quid one way or another just doesn't come into the picture.

The trouble with the Guardian is that it wants to make a fuss about everything.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 13, 2021, 09:14:26 PM
Yep the good ol' US of A is in reality a dump,third world state masked behind a small percentage that are too bloody rich.

Whilst we whinge about our schools look at these teachers scrabbling in the dirt for one dollar bills to buy spplies for their classrooms whilst a crowd shouts on.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/13/teachers-scramble-dollar-bills-south-dakota-dash-for-cash
doesnt England have a similar problem according to the guardian cromwell?

Supply teachers: 'I spend £1,000 a year on materials for my pupils'
New research shows that 94% of staff pay for essential classroom materials. Five teachers describe how the schools funding crisis is leaving them out of pocket

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/18/supply-teachers-spend-1000-on-materials-for-pupils-budget-cuts
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on December 13, 2021, 09:37:16 PM
You are a good lad Ollie, but you have clearly never taught. It ha been sometime since I was at the chalk face, but as I recall the wages weren't bad, but I ended up paying for a lot of stationary because of the pathological meanness and paperwork involved when dealing with the supplies department
Actually I have though a long time ago,yts trying to impart the reality of what industry was really like and trying by sanctions that it was not acceptable to rock up an hour after a practical session started.

The powers that be told me "you can't do that" to which I replied "you think employers will accept them behaving like that" I lasted a few weeks,told them to sod off and returned to the industry whence I came.

Anyway to your reply whilst you might have had a lot of form filling the point is the stuff is there,in many US schools it's not and leaves people scrabbling in the dirt in the worlds no 1 (for now) superpower.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on December 13, 2021, 09:14:26 PM
Yep the good ol' US of A is in reality a dump,third world state masked behind a small percentage that are too bloody rich.

Whilst we whinge about our schools look at these teachers scrabbling in the dirt for one dollar bills to buy spplies for their classrooms whilst a crowd shouts on.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/13/teachers-scramble-dollar-bills-south-dakota-dash-for-cash

You are a good lad Ollie, but you have clearly never taught. It ha been sometime since I was at the chalk face, but as I recall the wages weren't bad, but I ended up paying for a lot of stationary because of the pathological meanness and paperwork involved when dealing with the supplies department
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Borchester

Algerie Francais !