Dr Coetzee uk/ wider world overreacting to omicron

Started by Thomas, December 14, 2021, 08:19:54 AM

« previous - next »

Scott777

Quote from: HDQQ on December 15, 2021, 10:44:34 PM
As one expert was saying, even if the proportion of people who need hospitalisation turns out to be much lower for Omicron, if we're going to get 100,000 positive cases per day, that would still bring the NHS to breaking point. 

But does that mean more at breaking point, or just the usual breaking point?  And where is the evidence it will be more?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

T00ts

My grand-daughter's nursery has announced a Covid +ve child (2yrs old) sent home on Monday with symptoms. The parents have refused to get a PCR so there is no information about which variant it might be. How many are now protecting their Christmas by not admitting that their 'cold' might be something more? You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink and I think it is now becoming just a free for all. Too many conflicting 'theories' and too many angry people who seem to have lost all sense of reason on both sides of the argument. 

It hasn't served society well.

Streetwalker

My gripe with  the handling of  COVID is that the government has not acted fast enough when making decisions on keeping the population safe . In this case they have identified a possible threat and acted .  

Nothing has changed in my world so I guess the overreaction is actually just reminding everyone to  do what they should have been doing for the past 2 years anyway 

HDQQ

It might be an over reaction but the thing is we don't know yet. As one expert was saying, even if the proportion of people who need hospitalisation turns out to be much lower for Omicron, if we're going to get 100,000 positive cases per day, that would still bring the NHS to breaking point. As things are today, with 78,000 cases, 100,000 doesn't look too far-fetched. And numbers are rising similarly in France, which had much lower levels than us until just a week or two ago. I haven't seen any info on whether the rise in France is due to Omricon variant yet.

They say omicron is rising very rapidly in London - which would account for the sudden rise here as the virus can obviously spread much quicker (numerically) in large densely populated areas.

What do drivers with new tyres and drivers with worn-out tyres have in common? They can both suffer blow-outs at speed on the motorway.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

'I alerted the wider world to Omicron - and I believe Britain is overreacting':  Doctor Angelique Coetzee, the South African GP who knows more about its effects than anyone, calls for calm despite variant cases spiking 50 per cent in 24 hours 

The UK Government's handling of what Boris Johnson warned will be a 'tidal wave' of Omicron infections verges on hysteria.

With predictions of one million cases by the end of the month and concerns about the NHS being overwhelmed with up to 10,000 hospitalisations per day, I gather there is talk of Christmas again being cancelled and a possible New Year lockdown.
Yet you only have to look at the picture in South Africa, where the world's first known cases of Omicron were spotted, to realise this reaction is out of all proportion to the risks posed by this variant.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10306211/amp/DR-ANGELIQUE-COETZEE-alerted-wider-world-Omicron-believe-Britain-overreacting.html

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!