A Salop in the face for Boris

Started by cromwell, December 17, 2021, 07:23:42 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on December 17, 2021, 11:08:46 AM
I wonder if Boris Johnson has sought advice from Jeremy Corbyn yet, seeing as he's entering similar (but at the same time different!) territory.

Corbyn was popular with Labour Party membership, unpopular with Labour MPs and unpopular with the electorate.
Johnson has rapidly lost popularity with his party, his MPs and the electorate but is still in No.10 with a big majority and over 3 years before the next general election.

Are we heading for a swift, clean Borexit or a long-drawn-out and bitter Borexit?

And after Borexit, will we find ourselves worse off than now, with an even worse prime minister?
You will be able to shake the dust of your eu flag quack and get ready for the great rejoining.

I love reading your dear diary panty wetting fantasies on this forum. I still laugh today thinking about  PM in waiting limp dem jo swinson lost her seat.

Thomas

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on December 17, 2021, 03:39:19 PM
One name I don't hear often enough as a credible replacement for Boris is John Redwood. He was the only one who stood up to the yanks by writing a stern letter of warning to China Joe Biden over the Irish protocol.

He would also trigger art. 16 rather sooner than later.

By now it looks clear to me that the EU won't let us go without a fight, so I'd rather fight now.

That said, the real story of this byelection is not the win of the lib dems but rather the humiliation of LABOUR and Keir Starmer.

Union Flag
Thank god you are back hallowed.

Everytime you appear , we just know something has went terribly wrong for labour and remain. You have had your finger on the political pulse since the 2016 brexit victory , and have been calling out remainers lies ever since.

I think priti patel would be a credible replacement once she gets that hang of those 6 foot tall bearded 7 year olds crossing the channel in dinghies.

With you on our side how can we fail.?

HallowedBrexit

One name I don't hear often enough as a credible replacement for Boris is John Redwood. He was the only one who stood up to the yanks by writing a stern letter of warning to China Joe Biden over the Irish protocol.

He would also trigger art. 16 rather sooner than later. 

By now it looks clear to me that the EU won't let us go without a fight, so I'd rather fight now.

That said, the real story of this byelection is not the win of the lib dems but rather the humiliation of LABOUR and Keir Starmer.

Union Flag

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on December 17, 2021, 10:43:09 AM
Boris, is the result of allowing one issue ,important as it was to become virtually the only issue.
Resulting in people thinking all they needed was a one trick pony to pull them through. Get this done and the fact that it's written all over him he was not reliable just didn't seem to matter. Can't say he wasn't asked for.
He is , you are right , but the flip side of the coin is that one issue is a mountain the labour party cannot climb.

I expect a few more political drubbings for labour over it , a large party conference where some future leader will finally wake up and smell the coffee .

Until then , we have to amuse ourselves with the blairites thinking they are on the road to victory.

Barry

Quote from: Sheepy on December 17, 2021, 08:41:10 AM
They voted Westminster party I guess then, I never even bothered getting involved in all the hype.
Exactly.
Reform party might as well pack up and close down. The electorate don't want real change from the old system. We are stuck on the merry go round. I doubt we will get off it in my lifetime.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on December 17, 2021, 08:47:22 AM
The sort of Tories that made that seat a Tory one for almost two hundred years , would never vote Labour. Yes the result could be seen as a condemnation of both main parties. But only one suffered an over 30% swing.

Ah , good olds puerile desperate spin as ever doesnt stack up to any sort of scrutiny.

The tories took many labour red wall seats in areas that would never vote tory  , even as recently as the hartlepool by election in  a seat labour had held since the sixties  , which corbyn twice held yet starmer lost.

Yet whenthe tories are on the back foot , labour cannot capitalise , and it doesnt bode well for keir starmer yet again.

The whole ethos of blairite politics and tonys third way bollocks was to keep hold of the old labour fiefdoms like central scotland and northern england , and chip away at the tory shires and seats like north shropshire to win over the small c tories. Epic fail from starmer and his re hashed new labour yet again good old.

QuoteThe moment it was realised the Libs could do this , a large number of the Labour vote were always going to do a ,Smurf, and back the Liberal up. That accounts for at least a percentage of loss in the Labour vote.

What this shows is the only real chance for shifting the Tories is a coalition of politics containing a small c.
You , i and anyone familiar with uk politics and the numbers know fines well this is by and large bollocks. There may have been a tiny percentage of tactical labour votes that swung behind the libs in this particular seat , the difference appeared to be the fact the turnout was massively low with tories staying at home from what i have read.

In a general election scenario , with brexit again rearing it shead rather than a by election protest vote , you know as i do labour voters getting behind the liberals in any sort of numbers would be catastrophic for the labour party. Desperate spin as ever from you good old.

Labour are slogging it out with the liberals and greens in england for the 45 % remain vote , and if it looked likely england would in any way be heading towards a pro european coaltion then brexiters would be out in force to annihilate you as they did in 2019.

QuoteOnce more we see the potential for coalition being the biggest threat to the Tories, because Labour could never win a seat like Shropshire, but they could regain much of the traditional Labour areas, and marginals.
What this vote says most is people will not accept rank bad government from any quarter.
And no Thomas , I have not said only two party politics. I have said coalition, several times, and I am saying it again , that means more a broader range of parties involved.
Reading more into this than you should , while desperately spinning events will be suicide for labour in any forthcoming GE.

This is a by election slap on the wrist for the tories and johnson nothing more. How many times have we seen it in the past with sitting governments?

I point out yet again labour and starmers failure to captialise on the tories problems , and inability to do a hartlepool shows labour are hated and not seen as the solution.

As for coalition ,  i hope to fack labour are stupid enough to go into a coaltion with the snp as the uk third biggest party. Sitting in government backed up by a scot nat regime in edinburgh will sound the death knell for the anti english labour party , and everyone knows it.

Most of us in scotland cannot believe labour would be that stupid , but then again , maybe they are. Im rubbing my hands with glee at the thought of sturgeon having the inept starmer on puppet strings. Taking england back into the EU and having a scot nationalist party rub their noses in it propping up an anti english labour party in westmisnter is nothing short of a lose lose for labour.

The snp dont need english votes.........labour rely on them .

Borchester

So to sum up, the Tories have suffered their worse defeat since Simon de Montford ordered the Shires to send two knights each to Westminster, the Labour party has had its lowest vote since not long after and the Lib Dems have canvassed with an omnibus edition of Please Sir and the electorate has elected Dennis as class captain.

I can't see Boris wriggling out of this one, but it will be fun watching. :)
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

I wonder if Boris Johnson has sought advice from Jeremy Corbyn yet, seeing as he's entering similar (but at the same time different!) territory.

Corbyn was popular with Labour Party membership, unpopular with Labour MPs and unpopular with the electorate.
Johnson has rapidly lost popularity with his party, his MPs and the electorate but is still in No.10 with a big majority and over 3 years before the next general election.

Are we heading for a swift, clean Borexit or a long-drawn-out and bitter Borexit?

And after Borexit, will we find ourselves worse off than now, with an even worse prime minister?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on December 17, 2021, 10:43:09 AM
Boris, is the result of allowing one issue ,important as it was to become virtually the only issue.
Resulting in people thinking all they needed was a one trick pony to pull them through. Get this done and the fact that it's written all over him he was not reliable just didn't seem to matter. Can't say he wasn't asked for.
But we were at a moment in the history where it was the only issue of real importance surely? We had catapulted through Cameron and his false promises after decades of being told that we would have a say and treaties signed without our agreement. May and her seeming steadiness turned into a comatose dream where once again the hope was that time and difficulty would persuade the electorate to forget the referendum result. BJ was going to happen as a matter of desperation for many. Jeremy Hunt was only a repeat of May and therefore not an option. BJ played a good game and up to a point carried through, but the signs were there almost immediately and of course the media has played it up to its maximum.  

I doubt there is any public figure who can survive against the power of the media. Sadly BJ has been extremely generous in providing them with the ammunition to finish him off. 

Sheepy

If the Tories did joined up thinking they would have known the hysteria being built up before a by-election by the dark forces of politics were all planned and Labour were never going to take the Tory voters so the next best thing was the Lib dumbs then they could talk about coalitions and keep it in house. While the Tories scrabble around pretending it is some kind of rocket science and as another said the answer is more Thatcherism and the stasi. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on December 17, 2021, 10:08:18 AM
Remember that BJ was the only candidate who looked as though he had the backbone to get us out of the EU and so it proved. The alternative was Jeremy Hunt, a nice enough chap but simply didn't have the spirit that BJ showed. I can't help but feel that Boris has been let down by his private life which has crept into his political position and that is simply unacceptable to the electorate. He is a changed man from the one who campaigned for Brexit and perhaps he is just a one trick pony.

He has always looked a mess but it was only physical a while back. Since he got covid and babies he is different and lacks coherency. Having two youngsters at a time when he thought that role in his life was over must be taking a toll and by all accounts home life is not a bed of roses. He looks constantly shattered and with the best will in the world expecting a man in the job he has, to rush home and change nappies is ridiculous. If his wife is expecting that she is married to the wrong man. This simply won't do at a time when the nation is in need of very joined up thinking. Behind every great man is an even greater woman and this chap looks to me as if he is struggling to survive on all fronts.

Will he jump before he is pushed? I'm not sure.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on December 17, 2021, 10:08:18 AM

Will he jump before he is pushed? I'm not sure.

He will have too, or he isn't going anywhere. No Tory backbencher wants to put the knife in given he is Mr Brexit. But the electorate won't back him next time and really if he stays it is because power is more important to him than his party.

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on December 17, 2021, 10:07:54 AM
Well I suppose a Truss would be a good fit for the hernia that is the tory party. ;D

Well she doesn't really have any baggage too. In many ways BoJo is the perfect fit for the Tories given he is a spoff and Truss has rebellion roots so less so. But BoJo was always marmite to the electorate and now he is toxic waste. You can't pick up the undecided vote when you are toxic. Whereas Truss is being pushed as the new Iron Lady. Thatcherism is paramount for Tory voters.