A Salop in the face for Boris

Started by cromwell, December 17, 2021, 07:23:42 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

A new Christmas Movie .......
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

One of the more insightful things that Starmer said was perhaps more memorable than he meant it to be: "In a way, the more we expose the inadequacy of this government, the more it presses the question back on us. If they are so bad, what does it say about us?

Quite an insightfull article in the new yorker from two months back i was just reading there , which reiterates the same problems labour have time and again which they seem completly unable to overcome.

You can see history passing the Party by. Since Labour lost power, British politics has undergone two great upheavals—Brexit and the rise of Scottish nationalism—both of which have been motivated by questions of identity and belonging. Labour has yet to formulate a convincing response to either.

According to Maria Sobolewska and Robert Ford, political scientists at the University of Manchester, it was at some point between 2010 and 2015 that university graduates and ethnic minorities overtook white voters without college degrees among the Party's electoral support.

When you listen to the pro labour  supporters with their pro eu rhetoric especially on forums like this , its clear yet agin despite what we , the voting public keep saying , and many journalists and political geeks , the labour party and thier supporters reufse to listen ,and seem intent purely on lecturing time and again on how we the voter have got it all wrong.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-the-uk/the-labour-party-is-britains-lost-opposition
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Good old on December 18, 2021, 01:07:30 PM
For Christ,s sake. Two can play that card. I had ten of the most insufferable years of my life , under. Thatcher, and Major. Along with thousands more. , every thing I had built in a very successful first forty years of my life was literally wrecked by their policies. Enormous interest rates,, mass unemployment, huge hits on investments. I don't deny that Ken Clark, a very moderate Tory , had started to finally get some sense into their financial policy, but only in the very last year of their tenure.It was  Blair ., whether you like it or not who  actually got high street  shops opening again, and small business invigorated.. so yes I would not vote Tory. Because their twenty year tenure , was littered with detrimental hits on our economy , and social fabric. At least two recessions  as I  recall . Huge hits on the value of our money ? All  self inflicted.
The only thing about the past that should be maintained if anyone truly is concerned for the welfare of this country , and not just the maintenance of power by a particular party is .When you are presented with a government that is clearly not capable, you vote it out. If you don't then the game is up in every sense.
No matter that all governments have faults , we have come a long way with government after government with faults. Sheep, thinks there is another way. Sorry sheep, I do'nt think so. So  if you think after twelve years this lot are a raving success, then support all you like . But there were 30,000 ardent Tories, that clearly said they are crap. I ardently agree with them.

Ken Clarke invented the budget that doesn't hit you until the budget day after this one 

Arrogant bastard

He would not have been able to do it in previous years as the danger of a Labour government was real.

Thrse days they could make twenty year plans 

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on December 18, 2021, 06:58:55 PM
Could be Tommy. The Tories don't have the Labour party's fascination with defeat. So Plumpton will either frame up or be replaced by a winner. Either way, the New Year should be fun.

What is happening north of the border? Will there be Indy2 anytime soon and if not why not?
krankie waffling on about covid in a nutshell .

QuoteWill there be Indy2 anytime soon and if not why not?
I could be wrong , i hope im wrong , but i cant see any referendum under nicola sturgeon in the next five years.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on December 18, 2021, 03:07:36 PM
well i think it will either be a tory victory or hung parliament in two years time borkie. As they say , a week is a long time in politics never mind two years. It is though desperate stuff we are reading from labour and their cronies. Labour now predicted to be 15 short of a majority at best estimations for them come next election based on recent polling averages.

Could be Tommy. The Tories don't have the Labour party's fascination with defeat. So Plumpton will either frame up or be replaced by a winner. Either way, the New Year should be fun.

What is happening north of the border? Will there be Indy2 anytime soon and if not why not?
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on December 18, 2021, 02:58:43 PM
The crisis that the Westminster party thought it can rule without doing a thing it said it would do. While creating a crisis as cover. Boris now says we were right, it didn't stop them trying it on though, did it?

Boris never really committed himself to do anything other than get us out of the EU, wave his hands in the air and keep himself in power. He has managed the first two pretty well and may even manage the third, so not bad Boris.

The question is who will replace him. I don't want to rejoin the EU and find the current crop of Tory hopefuls deeply unimpressive, so the following months should be interesting
well i think it will either be a tory victory or hung parliament in two years time borkie. As they say , a week is a long time in politics never mind two years. It is though desperate stuff we are reading from labour and their cronies. Labour now predicted to be 15 short of a majority at best estimations for them come next election based on recent polling averages.

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on December 18, 2021, 02:57:03 PM
On the contrary HB, this is the first in a long line of victories for the Lib Dems to take us back into the loving arms of Brussels.
This might have been a protest vote at johnson which gave the libs victory , but as everyone says , it will be back being a blue stronghold in two years time .

The idea the liberals , who are currently polling around the same as reform uk uk wide , are going to take many seats , or that starmer isnt going to be affected by the 55 % of the english population who voted brexit is quite obviously left wing remain fantasy.

The stupidity of the labour party and its support knows no bounds.

Borchester

The crisis that the Westminster party thought it can rule without doing a thing it said it would do. While creating a crisis as cover. Boris now says we were right, it didn't stop them trying it on though, did it?

Boris never really committed himself to do anything other than get us out of the EU, wave his hands in the air and keep himself in power. He has managed the first two pretty well and may even manage the third, so not bad Boris.

The question is who will replace him. I don't want to rejoin the EU and find the current crop of Tory hopefuls deeply unimpressive, so the following months should be interesting
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on December 18, 2021, 02:38:02 PM
Bottom line is that this byelection has turned into a complete debacle for Labour and Remain.
On the contrary HB, this is the first in a long line of victories for the Lib Dems to take us back into the loving arms of Brussels.
† The end is nigh †

HallowedBrexit

Bottom line is that this byelection has turned into a complete debacle for Labour and Remain.

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on December 18, 2021, 01:07:30 PM
For Christ,s sake. Two can play that card. I had ten of the most insufferable years of my life , under. Thatcher, and Major. Along with thousands more. , every thing I had built in a very successful first forty years of my life was literally wrecked by their policies. Enormous interest rates,, mass unemployment, huge hits on investments. I don't deny that Ken Clark, a very moderate Tory , had started to finally get some sense into their financial policy, but only in the very last year of their tenure.It was  Blair ., whether you like it or not who  actually got high street  shops opening again, and small business invigorated.. so yes I would not vote Tory. Because their twenty year tenure , was littered with detrimental hits on our economy , and social fabric. At least two recessions  as I  recall . Huge hits on the value of our money ? All  self inflicted.
The only thing about the past that should be maintained if anyone truly is concerned for the welfare of this country , and not just the maintenance of power by a particular party is .When you are presented with a government that is clearly not capable, you vote it out. If you don't then the game is up in every sense.
No matter that all governments have faults , we have come a long way with government after government with faults. Sheep, thinks there is another way. Sorry sheep, I do'nt think so. So  if you think after twelve years this lot are a raving success, then support all you like . But there were 30,000 ardent Tories, that clearly said they are crap. I ardently agree with them.
I grew up under thatcher and major and well remember what it was like. I dont remember previous labour governemtns before that , but a lot of older folk tell me the horrors of three day weeks and strikes , and all the hell that was labour in government before that .

I also make the point that although thatcher was bad for scotland , labour have done more damage in many ways to scotland than thatcher ever did.

Just read an article by andrew neil basically reiterating all i have been saying to you about the by election and reviveiwng why the tories lost. Tory voters stayed at home and labour couldnt capitalise .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10322577/ANDREW-NEIL-Hopping-mad-Tory-voters-wanted-send-Boris-message-not-ignore.html

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on December 18, 2021, 11:46:03 AMI have a long long memory and never forget. Or forgive.
I bet it isn't as long as mine. ;-)
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on December 18, 2021, 01:07:30 PMSorry sheep, I do'nt think so
Then you will just carry on down the same old road and your children will still be complaining what a terrible life the Westminster party had caused them. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on December 18, 2021, 11:46:03 AM
Yep well said nick .Labour rely on everyones having amnesia and forgetting their past behaviour.

I have a long long memory and never forget. Or forgive.
For Christ,s sake. Two can play that card. I had ten of the most insufferable years of my life , under. Thatcher, and Major. Along with thousands more. , every thing I had built in a very successful first forty years of my life was literally wrecked by their policies. Enormous interest rates,, mass unemployment, huge hits on investments. I don't deny that Ken Clark, a very moderate Tory , had started to finally get some sense into their financial policy, but only in the very last year of their tenure.It was  Blair ., whether you like it or not who  actually got high street  shops opening again, and small business invigorated.. so yes I would not vote Tory. Because their twenty year tenure , was littered with detrimental hits on our economy , and social fabric. At least two recessions  as I  recall . Huge hits on the value of our money ? All  self inflicted. 
No matter that all governments have faults , we have come a long way with government after government with faults. Sheep, thinks there is another way. Sorry sheep, I do'nt think so. So  if you think after twelve years this lot are a raving success, then support all you like . But there were 30,000 ardent Tories, that clearly said they are crap. I ardently agree with them.

Barry

† The end is nigh †