two thirds of voters want to axe bbc licence

Started by Thomas, December 19, 2021, 09:14:41 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 19, 2021, 11:06:29 AM
Why do we need a state broadcaster ?  The days when it was the only source of news and information have long gone . We have learned with the various channels to identify their agendas and the BBC is no different . It can stand on its own or fail , no matter as long as we are not paying for it .
Totally agree , i have said it time and again. Its becoming obsolete.

I think i pointed out in the past people like michael portillo and many others making that same point that the bbc as it stands has to change and its funding for it to survive.

I think cromwell is being a bit of a luddite on this issue. Its not just about perceived bias , or politics , but technology and changing viewing habits.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 19, 2021, 09:54:06 AM

Thomas thinks if Indy goes through the hated bbc will be gone.....it will but be replaced by another state broadcaster.
Nope . Dont know whats going on today mate , but why do people keep attaching views to me i dont hold?

Quite obviously if scotland and england split , the bbc would no longer be the state broadcaster in scotland. If you remmber though ,our last conversation on the matter a while back was me pointing out the fact in my opinion , modern technology is gradually doing away with the need for a state broadcaster , with the younger generations barely if at all watching the bbc.

Live TV is never broadcast in my house or in many of my family and friends. Kids and adults spend much time on social media , you tube  , and watching films on netflix and the like.

What i said to you was the bbc as it stands would pass with the older generations. How could you justify the trouble and expense of a state broadcaster like the bbc with no audience? What would be the point?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 19, 2021, 11:06:29 AM
Why do we need a state broadcaster ?  The days when it was the only source of news and information have long gone .

My thoughts exactly.

We already have a model for a broadcaster of a commercial nature to accept public service broadcasting. Channel Four was required to adhere to such a manifesto and pleaded for a share of the licence fee to do it about fifteen years ago. 

They were not given any money mind !!

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on December 19, 2021, 09:54:06 AM
Of course it's easy,that's why some slimmed down form will remain and it will be funded by direct tax.

Thomas thinks if Indy goes through the hated bbc will be gone.....it will but be replaced by another state broadcaster.
Why do we need a state broadcaster ?  The days when it was the only source of news and information have long gone . We have learned with the various channels to identify their agendas and the BBC is no different . It can stand on its own or fail , no matter as long as we are not paying for it .

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on December 19, 2021, 09:19:34 AM
I already axed mine. It's easy. Stop buying one.
Of course it's easy,that's why some slimmed down form will remain and it will be funded by direct tax.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

I already axed mine. It's easy. Stop buying one.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas