So, if there was an election tomorrow, who would you vote for?

Started by Borchester, December 20, 2021, 08:06:50 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 21, 2021, 12:54:59 PM
I would agree PR in the true sense ,party lists and all was not really what I would like . The first past the post system works OK to some extent but puts off people voting who find themselves in constituencies with big majorities they don't agree with . Maybe a mixture of the two but certainly  some system that means your vote is not wasted would maybe engage more people

Sadly Wales now shows the system you advocate merely empowers the largest of the wankers as all the smaller ones gather round to lend their hands to the task in hope of gaining favour and adjusting the aim a little in their direction of choice.

First past the post ensures that in all but 50 to 100 constituencies (it used to be more but three way splits destroyed all hope in hundreds of seats) unl SS your politics lies in the spectrum of the 35% at best whose votes elect the winner, your vote is wasted and the parties know it.

There is a golden triangle to the south east of Birmingham where you are about 200% more likely than anywhere else to swing the result of an election, and that is where the helicopters are chartered to literally rain candidates down on you.

The rest of the country are left to feck off. Their vie s are unimportant as their votes always return the same colour rosette.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 21, 2021, 10:29:10 AM
The thing is round here plaid ARE the lying scheming bastard's.

Something in Streetwalkers last post merits further comment. "Some sort of PR" has been manipulated rather cleverly I admit to the point it is anything but.

Right now for example wales's "PR" gives five parties a shareout of the seats, whereas a proper, one vote, one list true PR would have yielded an assembly with about twelve very diverse successful candidates none of the others would have talked to.

Which would have shown true PR to be the unworkable shit it is .... So some slight victory there !!
I would agree PR in the true sense ,party lists and all was not really what I would like . The first past the post system works OK to some extent but puts off people voting who find themselves in constituencies with big majorities they don't agree with . Maybe a mixture of the two but certainly  some system that means your vote is not wasted would maybe engage more people 

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on December 21, 2021, 08:19:52 AM
If I were in Scotland I'd regard Sturgeon and most other members of the SNP as worth voting for. I'd probably go for Plaid were I in Wales. But neither option exists down here. There is no one in the shadow cabinet worthy of my vote. I don't trust any of those lying scheming bastards, for I have seen their type up close at a more local level.

If I lived in Islington North I could still vote for Corbyn. There are others like Jon Trickett or Ian Lavery whom I would consider voting for. But the list of MPs deserving of my vote is a very short one.

The thing is round here plaid ARE the lying scheming bastard's.

Something in Streetwalkers last post merits further comment. "Some sort of PR" has been manipulated rather cleverly I admit to the point it is anything but.

Right now for example wales's "PR" gives five parties a shareout of the seats, whereas a proper, one vote, one list true PR would have yielded an assembly with about twelve very diverse successful candidates none of the others would have talked to. 

Which would have shown true PR to be the unworkable shit it is .... So some slight victory there !!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on December 21, 2021, 12:10:02 AM
Might be more interesting if anyone on here could name a present political figure they would vote for.
If I were in Scotland I'd regard Sturgeon and most other members of the SNP as worth voting for. I'd probably go for Plaid were I in Wales. But neither option exists down here. There is no one in the shadow cabinet worthy of my vote. I don't trust any of those lying scheming bastards, for I have seen their type up close at a more local level.

If I lived in Islington North I could still vote for Corbyn. There are others like Jon Trickett or Ian Lavery whom I would consider voting for. But the list of MPs deserving of my vote is a very short one.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 20, 2021, 08:14:07 PM
Nobody right wing enough for me on the ballot paper .  Not that it makes much difference round here in a safe Tory seat . I'll likely never vote again unless we change the system to some sort of PR

I tried, SW, I tried.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on December 21, 2021, 02:04:28 AM
I'd be more than happy with JRM, got the brains but a bit more savvy than Boris.

I like him, but I don't think he has that streak of cruelty all successful PMs need
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Might be more interesting if anyone on here could name a present political figure they would vote for.
I'd be more than happy with JRM, got the brains but a bit more savvy than Boris.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

morayloon

Alex Salmond

Borchester

Farage?

He always gives the impression of suffering from almost terminal dandruff, but he is anti EU so that is a start.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on December 20, 2021, 10:48:14 PM
In True Blue fashion I will vote for what's best for me and that is Tory.
I would like to do the same but right now there don't seem to be any Tories around.

I used to have a lot of time for Boris. I knew, as we all did, that he was a crook, but never thought him to be such a cack handed one. But after the Owen Paterson affair, his sucking up to the tree huggers and now putting a Remainer in charge of Brexit, I can only assume that the late nights caused by his new family have addled his brain.

Algerie Francais !

Nick

In True Blue fashion I will vote for what's best for me and that is Tory.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

In my case the only certainty is that I will be voting neither Tory nor Labour. Beyond that, it depends upon who is on the ballot in my constituency. Most likely I'll vote Green.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

For me, I reckon it will be another ballot paper written on, with crosses in every box to tell them what I really think on the day.
Butt Kick
† The end is nigh †

Barry

† The end is nigh †