Education,education,education.

Started by cromwell, December 21, 2021, 10:33:53 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on December 23, 2021, 03:11:29 PM
Rubbish, if we all had the same tastes it would be boring.

True but give the Mrs a treat and visit the Minack Theatre just along the coast from you .Even if you don't like the show the construction and views are spectacular . 
Was there for a 'last night at the proms' type concert a few tears back .Union Flag

papasmurf

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 23, 2021, 01:01:36 PM
Ballet and Musicals?  Not for me thanks. (Or Opera where some large female sounds like she is being tortured with a combination of heated irons and high voltage electricity.)
Neandertal and dinosaur comes to mind. 
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 23, 2021, 11:43:24 AM
I agree. Theatre is a part of education throughout life.
When we lived in Stourbridge we visited the theatres in Birmingham, either a play or ballet, about 5 or 6 times a year.
Since moving to Kent and also because of them being closed, we have missed them a great deal. When they re-open we will be back - probably going to London from here.
No one wants their lives to become smaller, do they? Theatre broadens the mind and adds to life.
Ballet and Musicals?  Not for me thanks. (Or Opera where some large female sounds like she is being tortured with a combination of heated irons and high voltage electricity.)

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 23, 2021, 11:30:30 AM
Your loss, frankly.
I agree. Theatre is a part of education throughout life.
When we lived in Stourbridge we visited the theatres in Birmingham, either a play or ballet, about 5 or 6 times a year.
Since moving to Kent and also because of them being closed, we have missed them a great deal. When they re-open we will be back - probably going to London from here.
No one wants their lives to become smaller, do they? Theatre broadens the mind and adds to life.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on December 23, 2021, 11:32:08 AM
Why?

Well, it's up to you, but as a pretty regular attendee at local theatre productions from plays both comedic and tragic to musicals and yes even the odd ballet I have found them rather worth my time and money.

If it isn't your thing, fair enough but I've found there is actually a wide base of practical talent treading the board's round here and I'd sooner hand them my money and see them continue than waste my life in front of the TV.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 23, 2021, 09:59:19 AM
If you are talking tv I would agree but we have the off button to deal with that. In theatre the judgement is more immediate and devastating.
I have not been to a theatre for over 60 years.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 23, 2021, 09:56:19 AM
That does not seem to be stopping the number of talentless people we have to put up with
If you are talking tv I would agree but we have the off button to deal with that. In theatre the judgement is more immediate and devastating.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 23, 2021, 09:08:43 AM
No amount of theoretical training is of any use to anyone who thinks they want to tread the boards if they do not possess the presence that such a career demands. 
That does not seem to be stopping the number of talentless people we have to put up with

T00ts

No amount of theoretical training is of any use to anyone who thinks they want to tread the boards if they do not possess the presence that such a career demands. Great for all the Tech stuff involved in producing a performance but any course that doesn't demand talent is totally pointless since sadly a university degree without talent will never draw bums on seats.

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on December 21, 2021, 10:33:53 PM
Just watching news at ten and "Oh no it isn't "

Sadly or laughably too you will able to gain a university degree in panto.

Puke

Well, first of all, it's not a three year degree it's a one year MA.

I'm rather keen to know more, as the ancient starship troopers meme goes.

There's a fine line to be drawn between what I'd call genuine pursuit of creative content and crass exploitation of vulnerable teenagers.

As I've said before, there were thirty or more courses in "forensic science" on offer ten years or so ago, four of which carried the accreditation of the royal society of chemistry and would get you a job as a forensic scientist, and the others were courses thrown together by the university itself with no thought to such accreditation, which would not.

In the same way that there are accredited dance, music and performance art institutions whose alumni include some of this, and other countries' acknowledged outstanding achievers and out greatest actor knights and real world dames, so there are a hundred dodgy outfits at all levels.

But I'm sure none of this is news.

No one demanded an academic qualification from me by when I auditioned for the part of a panto dame. I didn't get it because the next applicant, who did, was without argument several orders of magnitude more hilarious and far more accomplished than I. I learned quite a lot just from watching them ! 

And my suggested script for Sarah the Cook doing a pole dance to If I Can Turn Back Time on the Saucy Sue's bowsprit raised multiple eyebrows and was laughed at in the RIGHT way ... And the only reason it got turned down was the realisation it would give the show an 'R' rating !!  

I remember a BBC article taking the piss out of a course taken by a chap who said the only job interview he got from the degree was for a job stacking shelves in Curry's and he had to dance to a daft punk track as part of the interview. 

The BBC really enjoyed giving the course a kicking. A shame they did not research the fact this waste of space was the only failure on that course's intake that year, that every other student, who actually put some toil and sweat into the course instead of getting pissed in the bar as this twonk chose, not only got a degree, but also in short order got work in their chosen field or gallery space and sales for those who wanted to go that way. My daughter was in the course a year behind this arse, and my wife was an admissions and general administrator at the establishment hence my somewhat inside knowledge of the truth

I do wonder how much of this course is actually of use and how much is BS. Well, I suppose the easy way is to mention it to the local Panto Society chairman and see what scripts their alumni create. You never know, if they sound funny enough to put 300 bums on 300 seats at ten to twelve quid a pop he might actually run one .......

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?