Jacob Rees-Mogg cleared of breaking MP rules over loans

Started by Borchester, December 22, 2021, 05:47:25 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 25, 2021, 06:50:50 PM
My one and only problem with the tax man ended badly for him when he insisted the navy's right to vet any substitute I sent to a navy base meant they had too much control over how I did my work, and thus I was employee.

I suggested the chap come and discuss the matter with me on site. And I deliberately failed to tell the navy.

The chap was naturally refused permission to enter the base, not having the requisite clearance, and the stupid bastard got uppity.

As you may know from most of the memoirs of the SAS blokes, a bunch of guys even harder than them have the task of stopping people like him wandering round certain naval bases and they took the chap away for a talking to

I knew they would of course.

They weren't exactly ecstatic with me, until I said the guy was a tax man giving me grief.

They asked if I wanted them to "educate" the chap. I said that would be absolutely marvellous. I don't know what they did, but I've had no issues since

I have had plenty of tax payers square up to me. I wasn't paid enough to fight it out, so I would bow politely and head back to the office and inform my manager. And as often as not they would say well, the tax payer isn't co operating so we will proceed on the assumption that we are correct, which means the punter will most likely end up paying a lot more than he has to and probably worse, spent a lot more time than needed on the case.

I am sure that you wiped the floor with HMRC John and reclaimed mega bucks, but that is not usually the case.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on December 25, 2021, 06:30:10 PM
Since Christmas started over a tax demand...

My son just rang, peeing himself with laughter. A while back a friend of his was hired to investigate a payroll scheme and to decide if the employees should be on PAYE or treated as self employed. The friend told the client that he was 99.9% certain that the staff should be regarded as self employed, but that just to put the cherry on the top, he would get an expert to cast an eye over the matter.

And sent the case to my son.

Who looked into it and said that the the client should put in a PAYE scheme sharpish. So the friend said fair enough, told his client, sent my son a handsome fee and then, despite having performed a 180 degree turn, pocketed an even bigger one for himself. Which was why my boy was laughing his head off.

So how, I asked, did your mate manage to convince the client that he knew what he was talking about?

Dunno said my boy, I am good on tax law, but my pal is world class when it comes to bullshit.

And apparently the mate managed to pick up another couple of jobs during the negotiations. :):)

My one and only problem with the tax man ended badly for him when he insisted the navy's right to vet any substitute I sent to a navy base meant they had too much control over how I did my work, and thus I was employee.

I suggested the chap come and discuss the matter with me on site. And I deliberately failed to tell the navy.

The chap was naturally refused permission to enter the base, not having the requisite clearance, and the stupid bastard got uppity.

As you may know from most of the memoirs of the SAS blokes, a bunch of guys even harder than them have the task of stopping people like him wandering round certain naval bases and they took the chap away for a talking to

I knew they would of course.

They weren't exactly ecstatic with me, until I said the guy was a tax man giving me grief.

They asked if I wanted them to "educate" the chap. I said that would be absolutely marvellous. I don't know what they did, but I've had no issues since 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Since Christmas started over a tax demand...

My son just rang, peeing himself with laughter. A while back a friend of his was hired to investigate a payroll scheme and to decide if the employees should be on PAYE or treated as self employed. The friend told the client that he was 99.9% certain that the staff should be regarded as self employed, but that just to put the cherry on the top, he would get an expert to cast an eye over the matter.

And sent the case to my son.

Who looked into it and said that the the client should put in a PAYE scheme sharpish. So the friend said fair enough, told his client, sent my son a handsome fee and then, despite having performed a 180 degree turn, pocketed an even bigger one for himself. Which was why my boy was laughing his head off.

So how, I asked, did your mate manage to convince the client that he knew what he was talking about?

Dunno said my boy, I am good on tax law, but my pal is world class when it comes to bullshit.

And apparently the mate managed to pick up another couple of jobs during the negotiations. :):)
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

The normal reason for that level of thievery is a 'misunderstanding" that sees you given a BR tax code and the usual reason is they incompetently treat your only or main job as a second one.

This happens a lot and it is because the tax man is an incompetent prick incapable of operating their own system. And yes I speak as a fucking victim the bastard's did it to me in 2017 when I left one job and took another, they tried to pretend I hadn't done the paperwork right and said I would have to wait until April 2018 to have it sorted, I threatened to take them to court for fraud and theft and they suddenly saw it my way and undid their fuckup.

Regrettably the inland revenue is the only office not forced to hand you 8% compound when they F@@@ up.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on December 24, 2021, 11:04:52 PM
The taxman can be a thief to all income scales. I work in retail which is relatively low paid and was working all the hours I could to try and get by and not getting anywhere. It was as if every bit of extra effort went straight to the taxman without me seeing any of it. And no wonder. I recently got a nearly 1300 quid tax rebate...which means I was somehow paying nearly a hundred quid too much in tax on every pay packet for a year. How the hell does that happen under PAYE? One hundred too much from every pay cheque is a significant amount on retail pay believe me. Of course the rebate is very welcome, but  it came after a year when all extra effort on my part was being utterly discouraged by what must have been a punitive and wholly incorrect and unjustified level of taxation.

It is commonly believed by many of my work colleagues that once you get into the tax bracket you lose all the extra you earn in tax so it is not worth it. In vain do I explain that in theory for every extra tenner you earn you should still take home an extra £6.80. Now I see what they mean. Because in practice they seem to have taken the lion's share of my extra earnings only to return them later at some future random date.

And most of us do not know we are  being taxed too much until or unless they give some of it back. Can they be trusted in all cases to give it back when they should? I have my doubts.
Mod edit Cromwell
Dunno.

Looks as though you weren't being credited with your Personal Allowance for about 6 months. Have a word with your wages department.
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on December 23, 2021, 11:26:46 PMgood at keeping his money in his pocket instead of that of the taxman.
The taxman can be a thief to all income scales. I work in retail which is relatively low paid and was working all the hours I could to try and get by and not getting anywhere. It was as if every bit of extra effort went straight to the taxman without me seeing any of it. And no wonder. I recently got a nearly 1300 quid tax rebate...which means I was somehow paying nearly a hundred quid too much in tax on every pay packet for a year. How the hell does that happen under PAYE? One hundred too much from every pay cheque is a significant amount on retail pay believe me. Of course the rebate is very welcome, but  it came after a year when all extra effort on my part was being utterly discouraged by what must have been a punitive and wholly incorrect and unjustified level of taxation.

It is commonly believed by many of my work colleagues that once you get into the tax bracket you lose all the extra you earn in tax so it is not worth it. In vain do I explain that in theory for every extra tenner you earn you should still take home an extra £6.80. Now I see what they mean. Because in practice they seem to have taken the lion's share of my extra earnings only to return them later at some future random date.

And most of us do not know we are  being taxed too much until or unless they give some of it back. Can they be trusted in all cases to give it back when they should? I have my doubts.
Mod edit Cromwell
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on December 23, 2021, 11:26:46 PM
That is what I like about him. The Mogg that is. He is pleasant, polite and good at keeping his money in his pocket instead of that of the taxman. And that is all we need in a PM.

No, I want a PM who is good at keeping MY money in MY pocket instead of that of the tax man. What we have now is a bunch of scum happily robbing my pockets to fill theirs ....

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on December 23, 2021, 09:16:48 PM
To be fair, I think the problem is that he does not have much of a life and gets confused by those who do.
;D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on December 23, 2021, 09:35:44 PM
Yes but he does get to be a bit of a layabout on the front bench of the HoC, which not many wasters get to do.

You were talking about JRM weren't you? Oh wait...

That is what I like about him. The Mogg that is. He is pleasant, polite and good at keeping his money in his pocket instead of that of the taxman. And that is all we need in a PM.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

To be fair, I think the problem is that he does not have much of a life and gets confused by those who do.
Yes but he does get to be a bit of a layabout on the front bench of the HoC, which not many wasters get to do.

You were talking about JRM weren't you? Oh wait...

† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

If you are going to be bitter about the whole charade, at least make it over something worthwhile, Smurphy has never worked any of it out.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on December 23, 2021, 04:14:06 PM
If you think respecting life is out of touch then shame on you. You're just not a nice person.

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 23, 2021, 07:37:35 PM
He has shown no sign of that in the comments he has made during debates.
Yawn 🥱. #NickasksforproofandSmurfsaysitsallovertheinternet. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 23, 2021, 04:14:06 PM
If you think respecting life is out of touch then shame on you. You're just not a nice person.
He has shown no sign of that in the comments he has made during debates.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe