Main Menu

Slow loading

Started by T00ts, December 26, 2021, 09:22:07 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on March 30, 2022, 03:33:23 PM. However, if you're now saying all you want is a regime of sweetness and light, may I suggest that if even lowly oysters use bits of irritation to bring forth pearls, just think what an invigorated Pol-Tics could do...!?!?!

:):):)
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Barry on March 23, 2022, 02:13:37 PM
It's a shame posters can't be a bit more grateful, PP. When I was hosting the forum to keep it going after Steve Taylor quite abruptly ditched, you complained just the same, but then it was that it was too plain without new members or bells and whistles. I then put thanks for posts on and it then broke the forum. I had to take it off, but as an amateur in these things it was all pretty stressful.
Now Nick has taken over with the hosting, I don't miss the constant carping, and PP you are one of the worst. No new members, either too many or not enough bells and whistles.
You just keep annoying people, PP. It's that which you excel at.
@Barry
All I can say is I am sorry if I've given you that impression.
I am sure I have said on more than one occasion that we ordinary posters are lucky to have the forum for free, and that it's up to those who host the forum to decide the parameters and rules.

@Nick
And I'm sorry that my input hit a raw nerve at an apparently stressful time — that was not the intention. I don't think I've said anything uniquely different about the forum. And the hosting/management change brought improvements (which I think I said, unprompted, around the time of the changeover). However, if you're now saying all you want is a regime of sweetness and light, may I suggest that if even lowly oysters use bits of irritation to bring forth pearls, just think what an invigorated Pol-Tics could do...!?!?!

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on March 24, 2022, 08:33:24 PM
And as I said, I don't want gratitude 
Just as well, 'cos you ain't getting any :):)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on March 24, 2022, 07:23:14 PM
As said Ollie, Nick is a good lad, but if he wants gratitude he should get a dog.
And as I said, I don't want gratitude  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on March 24, 2022, 01:33:11 PM
Although he quoted you I guess Nick was talking about Pat.
As said Ollie, Nick is a good lad, but if he wants gratitude he should get a dog.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on March 24, 2022, 10:44:38 AM
For f**k's stop whining.

You are a good lad. Well done. And if if you don't want the job I dare say someone else will take it on.
Although he quoted you I guess Nick was talking about Pat.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on March 24, 2022, 09:25:51 AM
Nobody want smoke being blown up their ass, same as nobody wants someone showing up once a month to tell us how crap the forum is.
For F@@@'s stop whining.

You are a good lad. Well done. And if if you don't want the job I dare say someone else will take it on.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on March 24, 2022, 12:44:39 AM
We are grateful. This is a good site. Just don't expect us to spend all our time kissing arse by way of showing our gratitude.

This is a chatline. We come on here to discuss whatever issues interest us and sometimes to happily toss and gore each other. The site does not need to have bells or whistles or much of anything else. All it need do is load sometime before Betty Windsor's centenary and all will be well.
Nobody want smoke being blown up their ass, same as nobody wants someone showing up once a month to tell us how crap the forum is. 

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on March 23, 2022, 02:13:37 PM
It's a shame posters can't be a bit more grateful, PP. When I was hosting the forum to keep it going after Steve Taylor quite abruptly ditched, you complained just the same, but then it was that it was too plain without new members or bells and whistles. I then put thanks for posts on and it then broke the forum. I had to take it off, but as an amateur in these things it was all pretty stressful.
Now Nick has taken over with the hosting, I don't miss the constant carping, and PP you are one of the worst. No new members, either too many or not enough bells and whistles.

We are grateful. This is a good site. Just don't expect us to spend all our time kissing arse by way of showing our gratitude.

This is a chatline. We come on here to discuss whatever issues interest us and sometimes to happily toss and gore each other. The site does not need to have bells or whistles or much of anything else. All it need do is load sometime before Betty Windsor's centenary and all will be well.

Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: patman post on March 21, 2022, 08:38:01 PM
After 15 min, I am almost 100% certain that it's all the bells and whistles on here that are slowing things up.

Shame posters can't switch them off and see the difference for themselves...
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on March 22, 2022, 10:03:15 PM
John, you can't fix hosts doing maintenance to the servers, you're talking nonsense.
Was that the problem then ? Server maintenance ? I didn't see that .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 22, 2022, 05:36:29 PM
I did notice that the system was awfully slow yesterday returning page assembly time values of almost a second, and a count of 15 seconds from clicking "show unread posts" to being shown them.

Today the page assembly times are between a tenth and a fiftieth of that first value, and the actual time on this phone from pressing the "show unread" to seeing the results less than three seconds.....

I probably could work out why, if I had the access and all the kit I have in the day job.

But I'm paid to fix other shit, and this site is just a welcome distraction from when THAT goes tits .....
John, you can't fix hosts doing maintenance to the servers, you're talking nonsense. 

johnofgwent

I did notice that the system was awfully slow yesterday returning page assembly time values of almost a second, and a count of 15 seconds from clicking "show unread posts" to being shown them.

Today the page assembly times are between a tenth and a fiftieth of that first value, and the actual time on this phone from pressing the "show unread" to seeing the results less than three seconds.....

I probably could work out why, if I had the access and all the kit I have in the day job.

But I'm paid to fix other shit, and this site is just a welcome distraction from when THAT goes tits .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on March 22, 2022, 11:40:29 AM
And just how many adverts are there popping up all the time?

Don't be so tetchy.

I know sod all about computers so can tell you what is going wrong, not just with this board but a lot of others as well.

A computer is just a dumb adding machine in which the least instruction has to be spelled out at unbelievable length, and its only virtue is that it is super fast. So upgrades are just stuck on top of the existing programs in the hope that they will work. Mostly they do, but sometimes they screw up.It is a bit like when grand dad put moth balls in his petrol tank. Good idea for his Austin Seven, not so clever for today's more sophisticated motors
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on March 22, 2022, 09:04:55 AM
Oops! Hit a nerve there.

I would just like to say that although everybody else moans and groans and complains about you behind your back, I don't. I don't. Well maybe not that often.:):)

Anyway, if that other board Pat is going on about is the one I think it is, he is talking through his nether regions. It is a sod to log on to and crashes for nothing.
And just how many adverts are there popping up all the time?