Boris is talking tough

Started by Churchill, December 21, 2019, 03:41:15 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Churchill post_id=11129 time=1577086665 user_id=69
I think there has been enough press coverage over the last three and half years that most have read and understood about our leaving and how the EU has reacted , what the point of going over it again and again.

:hattip  :D
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester post_id=11146 time=1577097315 user_id=62
And where Gerry lives with his mum in Catford.

It makes a change from your claims that post Brexit the Irish farmers will close down the hamburger mines and starve the British into submission, but where exactly does London come into all this?

Now if you don't all mind,I would like to put my feet up and watch old black and white films.It is Christmas you know.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester post_id=11146 time=1577097315 user_id=62

It makes a change from your claims that post Brexit the Irish farmers will close down the hamburger mines and starve the British into submission, but where exactly does London come into all this?

Parliament, but especially Johnson.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT post_id=11141 time=1577094538 user_id=61

You do know all the uk was doing is leaving. How hard is it to leave. If your frustrated you need to look at london where the problem lies  ;)

Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Churchill post_id=11129 time=1577086665 user_id=69
I think there has been enough press coverage over the last three and half years that most have read and understood about our leaving and how the EU has reacted , what the point of going over it again and again.

We do know.

The easiest deal ever

May agreeing the deal and then 2 months later she says no PM could agree to such. But she had !

The german car industry will bla bla bla

Davis fails to regularly meet the EU, prefers to court UK press for a yr

Johnson wont support May, her WA is that bad

Johnsons going to die in a ditch...oh wait...

Johnson takes May's deal, makes it worse and hes a genius.

Splattered through that the uk as for extensions.

You do know all the uk was doing is leaving. How hard is it to leave. If your frustrated you need to look at london where the problem lies  ;)

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11092 time=1577037386 user_id=58
Oh i see , kicking the can down the road same as doggy in the hope the stars align and the perfect conditions exist?

Are you sure you are no conors sock puppet? ;)

Heres what you said.

and in ten years time , there still wont be a majority of unionists that want a united ireland so what are you talking about?

we have  a saying in glesga gerry , tomorrow never comes. im sure youve heard it too and the nuance behind it.

On top of that , it also relies on many things outwith this mythical unionist majority wanting reunification in ten years time.

I think a couple of yrs and NI being separated from GB and there will be less resistance from the Unionist population. There is also a noticeable change in the younger population, they identify less as Catholic/Protestant or Nationalist/Unionist and more as Northern Irish. If they see a decline in their economic future and the prospect of gains from the EU, a border poll will bring unification.

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11092 time=1577037386 user_id=58
If you seem to think northern ireland  , a small 6 country province and troubled backwater of 1.8 million souls is going to set the backdrop against which the uk eu future relationship is decided , then as i have told you many a time you and doggy are severely deluded.

i think that probably goes without saying gerry.,

Commercially the union has been a calamity for northern ireland , with some of the poor protestant enclaves being among the poorest areas of europe never mind these islands.

Contrast that with how richer

If it was down to mere economics , northern Ireland would have rejoined the republic years ago.

I do think NI will play a major role in the future relationship, basically if the UK plans on putting NI in a different CU, causing a border then there won't be a deal. But we needn't worry about that as Johnson has changed the WA to guarantee no border on the island of Ireland. We have nothing to worry about, we have Johnson's word.

Thomas

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=11094 time=1577037758 user_id=59
It's a shame not everyone is that reasonable. :hattip

Ah you misunderstand gerry and conor, scott.

its not  about being reasonable and surrendering , they are merely retreating to the next barricade a few yards further back. ;)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Scott777

Quote from: GerryT post_id=11081 time=1577032575 user_id=61
Agh no I fully accept the recent general election as a full enforcement of the original Brexit vote.

It's a shame not everyone is that reasonable. :hattip
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=10999 time=1576959182 user_id=63
I really have been turned into the worlds most cynical bar steward by the events of the last three years.

Glad to hear it.  I have only slightly more faith in Bojo than I did in the witch formerly known as PM.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT post_id=11086 time=1577035160 user_id=61
No I was talking about now and prob the next 10yrs when the population mix will still be roughly 50/50, albeit the future does look moving more toward nationalist than unionist.

Oh i see , kicking the can down the road same as doggy in the hope the stars align and the perfect conditions exist?

Are you sure you are no conors sock puppet? ;)

Heres what you said.

QuoteFor reunification there needs to be a majority of both Unionists and Nationalists for it to be a success.

and in ten years time , there still wont be a majority of unionists that want a united ireland so what are you talking about?

we have  a saying in glesga gerry , tomorrow never comes. im sure youve heard it too and the nuance behind it.

On top of that , it also relies on many things outwith this mythical unionist majority wanting reunification in ten years time.

If you seem to think northern ireland  , a small 6 country province and troubled backwater of 1.8 million souls is going to set the backdrop against which the uk eu future relationship is decided , then as i have told you many a time you and doggy are severely deluded.

QuoteI do think if NI did rejoin, their standard of living will vastly improve with the Irish Govt looking after things. There would be a massive investment drive, calling on the Irish diaspora around the world to help, which would come.

It would also greatly benefit Donegal, one of the poorest regions in ROI.

i think that probably goes without saying gerry.,

Commercially the union has been a calamity for northern ireland , with some of the poor protestant enclaves being among the poorest areas of europe never mind these islands.

Contrast that with how richer the republic has become compared to the uk in general and northern ireland in particular.

If it was down to mere economics , northern ireland would have rejoined the republic years ago.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11084 time=1577033849 user_id=58
No there doesnt.

Are you suggesting no matter how small the ulster unionist population becomes , no matter how far north and east it retreats  , they will always have some sort of a success veto over reunification?

You are beginning to sound like conor. Are you sure your irish?

Reunification will happen when a majority want it , and those that push it wont be the hardline nationalists or loyalists , but the long suffering people in the middle.

You will never appease hardline nationalists or loyalists. They will go to their grave shouting no.

Just as you will never appease hardline brexiters , so who cares who is blaming the eu or not?

The eu are perfectly entitled to play hard ball with the uk , just as the reverse is true.

No I was talking about now and prob the next 10yrs when the population mix will still be roughly 50/50, albeit the future does look moving more toward nationalist than unionist.

I do think if NI did rejoin, their standard of living will vastly improve with the Irish Govt looking after things. There would be a massive investment drive, calling on the Irish diaspora around the world to help, which would come.

It would also greatly benefit Donegal, one of the poorest regions in ROI.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT post_id=11081 time=1577032575 user_id=61
. For reunification there needs to be a majority of both Unionists and Nationalists for it to be a success.

No there doesnt.

Are you suggesting no matter how small the ulster unionist population becomes , no matter how far north and east it retreats  , they will always have some sort of a success veto over reunification?

You are beginning to sound like conor. Are you sure your irish?

Reunification will happen when a majority want it , and those that push it wont be the hardline nationalists or loyalists , but the long suffering people in the middle.

You will never appease hardline nationalists or loyalists. They will go to their grave shouting no.

Just as you will never appease hardline brexiters , so who cares who is blaming the eu or not?

The eu are perfectly entitled to play hard ball with the uk , just as the reverse is true.

Sheepy

Well I guess then we will just have to hold our nerve.Rather than end up another statistic having a mental breakdown.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11078 time=1577031557 user_id=58
Gerry you are re running the referendum over and over again.

They want to leave , they are going to leave , and they think they will get their cake and eat it.

There is no talking to them , you have to let them get on with it.

You should be concentrating on protecting the 6 counties , getting prepared for reunification ,  and decreasing any trade dependency you might have with the uk.

It seems to me your arguments on here are doing more harm than good if you are trying to win over hearts and minds to stay in the eu.

Agh no I fully accept the recent general election as a full enforcement of the original Brexit vote. So we move on and look at what type of future relationship there will be between the EU and UK. I do try to help where I can when people would suggest that the EU has being difficult or trying to block the UK, the days of blaming the EU on the faults in the UK are coming to a close, has to be a good thing for the UK to finally identify the root cause of issues, it should help to fix issues.

As for reunification, I never thought I would have seen it in my life time but the first catalyst was Brexit and the second catalyst being Johnson. For reunification there needs to be a majority of both Unionists and Nationalists for it to be a success. But I do think and hope it happens.