Justify this.

Started by Nick, December 26, 2021, 09:11:29 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Isn't it us who should take the blame? What happens in the world that is not ultimately a failing of man? 

Streetwalker

Fry does have a point  and all the quotes from the bible are not going to change it .  Most religions are the same with a  do as your told if you want an afterlife in the story . 
History is littered with death and destruction of the innocents and as Fry alludes he must be a right bastard if he does exist 

A God of love ?

Im still to be convinced . 

T00ts

I just had another thought. God wants all of us to care for each other.  Riches count for nothing, after all we can't take them with us. He would love us all to share and protect each other. I guess the answer for suffering in the world is to give all those who have riches, food and all the good things in life the chance to turn around and see others who are in need and minister to them. Jesus said that we should love each other as He loves us.
Perhaps the test is - can we look on others who are sick, starving, injured etc and minister using everything we have to help, or will we walk on the other side. I was just reading about people who claim to have eaten 10,000 calories on Christmas Day. Others are starving in the world. Perhaps we just need to do a lot better. Perhaps those of us who celebrate Jesus' birth with so much excess would be better Christians by foregoing our traditions to benefit those who have so little. 

T00ts

It's very possible that the awe which we will feel once on the other side will certainly refocus the mind, but for those determined not to 'believe' then eternity and resurrection still exists. As I understand it our 'place' in Eternity will depend on many things not least how much we are prepared to accept forgiveness and also offer it to others.

Barry's reference says pretty much all. Few realise that we are on a tough training course in this life. Belief in God and Jesus is not a get out of jail free card. We will all have our own Gethsemane at some point.

Barry

Nick,
If you really want the answer you can read it here. Rev. McGee explains it as well as it can be.
https://ttb.org/docs/default-source/booklets/ttb_why-do-god-39-s-children-suffer.pdf
If you want to be confrontational and hold feet to the fire, perhaps you have an angry personal reason to ask the question ?
Whichever way it is I'll pray you have the Peace which passes all understanding.

Incidentally, when Stephen Fry gets to meet God, he will kneel to the Name of Jesus. All his apparent knowledge will be nothing. His pride and his arrogance will be quashed by the Glory of God. I would not want to be in his place.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Yes Toots, I think he does have a point.

I turned my back on this a few decades ago.

So I'm with Fry here. 

At one point his interviewer says if what he would say to god "and (after saying that) you would expect to get in ?" to which fry replies "no, but I would not want to" 

And I have to admit neither would I.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

He has a point doesn't he? It is difficult when faced with such antagonism to justify God's existence. How can God be a God of love when awful things happen? I guess it brings into question whether mankind with our very obvious limitations is in a position to see the overview that I believe God has. 

If you believe that we magically arrived here from out of nowhere, just because our parents copulated, and then we disappear pretty much without trace then the overview must surely be indeed limited. I think the story is so much bigger and that we quite possibly agreed to this plan and to what we experience during life. But trying to justify is pointless. Faith hits and sticks, but if it hasn't been experienced then no justification will carry weight with those not prepared to hear. 

Nick

In this section I intend to hold feet to the fire. Starting with this. 

https://youtu.be/-suvkwNYSQo
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.