Main Menu

Re: Stupid answers

Started by Streetwalker, December 27, 2021, 07:43:25 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on December 29, 2021, 10:25:36 AM
to be fair though cromwell , that is bad isnt it?

Did you see the wee guy pointing out london?  Or the girl saying the scottish english border was along a line between the wash and gloucester? LOL.
Well this all started with an off topic but fun post of SW's answering coming for Camelot in the news thread.
More interesting than Camelot thread as well.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 29, 2021, 10:03:06 AM
Who said this was all just a bit of fun thread,was being the operative word.

So back to the fun.
https://youtu.be/zA6yZd4d-8s
to be fair though cromwell , that is bad isnt it?

Did you see the wee guy pointing out london?  Or the girl saying the scottish english border was along a line between the wash and gloucester? LOL.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 29, 2021, 10:03:06 AM

So back to the fun.
;D

When you ask the faithfull that same question , where is this country called britian , they can never answer.

So we have to believe in this country called britian that

1. isnt on any map.

2. doesnt appear to be homogenous.

3. doesnt have a language ( ie no one speaks british)

4. doesnt have a national british legal system.

5.doesnt produce british birth certificates.

yer right cromwell. Its all a bit of fun and a big bit of  make believe isnt it?

If you or any of the british faithfull can send me your bank details , i can get you a ticket on the nigerian lottery mate.

cromwell

So back to the fun.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 29, 2021, 09:43:41 AM
Good for you,enjoy your bone.
am i wrong though? Can you show me on a map where this "country" called britain exists?

I can find the united states of america , but no country called britian. Strange that.

Who was it that said its easier to fool people than convince them they have been fooled?

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on December 29, 2021, 09:17:51 AM
To be more precise though Thomas there actually is an island called Britain.
There is also an area of land in north west france called britian , or more properly to the french little britian. These british people have a native language similar to the welsh , and little britian has been a distinct region in France for centuries.

Some deluded english people ( and lets be fair others including some scottish irish and welsh) calling their country "britain " is akin to the french calling their country "gaul" , or the iranians calling their country persia.

Its an old bastardised roman name for an island , that wasnt used by the ruling elite till the 17 th century , and most english or scots didnt use the name till the 19th century.

Make fun of the stupidity of some yanks if you like , but its only fair to do the same about the yookay as well and "britain".

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on December 29, 2021, 09:37:44 AM
Telling the truth , and comparing idiots either side of the pond.
Good for you,enjoy your bone.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 29, 2021, 09:29:08 AM
I know what you're doing.  ???
Telling the truth , and comparing idiots either side of the pond.

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on December 29, 2021, 09:17:51 AM
To be more precise though Thomas there actually is an island called Britain. .
I know that. What i said is there are people who believe they live in a country called britian.

Great britian is a geogrpahical name , for an island. The same way scandianvia is a geogrpahical name , or iberia. None of them are countries.
It simply is not a single national unit.
it never has been a single unit , nor a single country in the enitre history of mankind. You make my point for me , hence why its a bit hypocritical taking the piss out the yanks when this island has its fair share of numbnuts as well.

QuoteEngland, Scotland and Wales are all part of the island of Britain, yet have seperate national identities.
The first three are nations  , the latter isnt. None of them are sovereign states though , they belong to the multi naitonal state called the uk of gb and ni. One part of the uk isnt on the island of gb.

QuoteThe fact that three distinct peoples  occupy the island of Britain does not mean than Britain does not exist,
you are trying and failing to be disingenuous , i never said britian doesnt exist  , im mocking idiots who think britian is a country. Do norwegians claim their country is called scandinavia?

Quoteeven if in the minds of nationalists it is little more than a geographic expression.
it is a geographical expression . As is europe , or asia. Simply because the  deluded lie doesnt mean what they say  is the truth does it?
I am English. I was born in and have always lived in England. But since England is part of the larger island of Britain I feel justified in calling myself British too. And since Britain itself is an offshore island of Europe, I feel justified in calling myself European as well.
you are british in a geographical way as you are european. My point remains britian isnt a country , and there are fools out there who think it is.
However, it is possible for some who are supporters of the union to believe in a Britain as a national entity.
To do that , they would need to show me on any map where this mythical country britain exists.

Further , why dont the british speak british the way germans speak german , french speak french and so on? why isnt there a british legal system , and all the other hallmarks of a nation or country?

Doesnt matter what anyone thinks , becuase you belive in something that is a figment of your imagination doesnt make it true or correct.

QuoteIt is just their perspective.
Just as yanks have a wrong perspective. Why is it ok to make fun of one and not the other?

QuoteIndeed some whose parents and grandparents came here from Asia or the Carribean and who experienced racist hostility in some quarters which occurred in the name of England or some such, have tended to reject English nationalism and to focus upon their Britishness for their sense of identity. I cannot speak for immigants or the descendents of immigrants into Scotland because I do not know enough about them, but in England certainly such communities often do not identify as English at all, but as British, in part as a reaction to English racist exceptionalism
.couldnt disagree with you any more on this. The english are no more or less racist than anyone else on this earth , and many immigrants chose to see themselves as british as they came from former countires of the empire , where they were classed once upon a time as british subjects.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on December 29, 2021, 09:01:11 AM
...but lets be fair here cromwell , there are a large number of people in these islands who think they live in a mythical country called britain.

Stupidity isnt the sole preserve of the yanks is it?
I know what you're doing.  ???

srb7677

Quote from: Thomas on December 29, 2021, 09:01:11 AM
...but lets be fair here cromwell , there are a large number of people in these islands who think they live in a mythical country called britain.

To be more precise though Thomas there actually is an island called Britain. It simply is not a single national unit. England, Scotland and Wales are all part of the island of Britain, yet have seperate national identities. The fact that three distinct peoples  occupy the island of Britain does not mean than Britain does not exist, even if in the minds of nationalists it is little more than a geographic expression.

I am English. I was born in and have always lived in England. But since England is part of the larger island of Britain I feel justified in calling myself British too. And since Britain itself is an offshore island of Europe, I feel justified in calling myself European as well.

I think I get your wider point though. If I don't I am sure you will correct me. As a Scot believing in Scotland becoming an independent nation, you utterly reject any sense of Britishness equating with nationhood. However, it is possible for some who are supporters of the union to believe in a Britain as a national entity. It is just their perspective. Indeed some whose parents and grandparents came here from Asia or the Carribean and who experienced racist hostility in some quarters which occurred in the name of England or some such, have tended to reject English nationalism and to focus upon their Britishness for their sense of identity. I cannot speak for immigants or the descendents of immigrants into Scotland because I do not know enough about them, but in England certainly such communities often do not identify as English at all, but as British, in part as a reaction to English racist exceptionalism.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on December 29, 2021, 09:01:06 AM
lol lol lol lol

And therein lies the reason why an obvious idiot like Trump could be taken seriously and still is. Too many Americans are thick.
personally i dont think that is fair steve.

You and i might not like trump , or his politics, but couldnt it have been he was offering hope to those who needed it , however misguided?

The same could be said for many of us in 1997 , when we all went out and voted for tony blairs new labour. Were we any less duped with blair than the yanks were with trump?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 29, 2021, 12:39:00 AM
Well yeah Steve that's great but they were questioning Yanks......who couldn't come up with United States.

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on December 29, 2021, 12:39:00 AM
Well yeah Steve that's great but they were questioning Yanks......who couldn't come up with United States.
lol lol lol lol

And therein lies the reason why an obvious idiot like Trump could be taken seriously and still is. Too many Americans are thick.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.