2021 a year to forget?

Started by T00ts, December 31, 2021, 09:33:35 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on December 31, 2021, 11:52:24 PM
My stand out political memory of 2021 was a personal one and a matter of conscience though not one of wider significance to others. After all I am someone of very little significance in the wider scheme of things. Just little old me. I had been wrestling with my conscience for many months, but eventually my conscience would allow it no longer. It was the moment I left the Labour Party. Only one of hundreds of thousands to do so. But it was a big moment for me. It was not a decision I took lightly and it was not one without a degree of psychological pain. But it had to be done.

I don't know about insignificant. I think quite a few parties have suffered a fall in membership for various reasons, not just Labour. And it must be hitting the membership coffers ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on December 31, 2021, 09:33:35 AM
So here we are the last day of the year. What do you remember of the last 12 months? What is your stand out memory that you will take with you? Political or otherwise.

I think my political memory will be how BJ has wasted what was a major election success. Having started the year I think in a fairly good place considering Covid etc, he frittered it away very publicly with decisions in almost every facet of government and his supposedly private life, that I have felt were to say the least, lacking in statesmanship and that have come back to bite him.
My stand out political memory of 2021 was a personal one and a matter of conscience though not one of wider significance to others. After all I am someone of very little significance in the wider scheme of things. Just little old me. I had been wrestling with my conscience for many months, but eventually my conscience would allow it no longer. It was the moment I left the Labour Party. Only one of hundreds of thousands to do so. But it was a big moment for me. It was not a decision I took lightly and it was not one without a degree of psychological pain. But it had to be done.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 31, 2021, 09:57:30 AM
I literally don't have one T00ts, I certainly can't think of anything.

In one way I think you have a point. My "stand out" moment of 2019 was our trip to Alaska and my equivalent from 2020 was the joy of a thirty per cent pay rise on leaving the automotive sector and returning to the banking sector after an absence of twelve years.

2021 brought new experiences all right but the first was three breathless visits to A&E thanks to heart failure and one with a mini stroke caused by said failure.

I suppose it is almost fitting that having dodged three bullets in the first month, I spent an entire day last week back in the main assessment unit while they tried to discover if a return of the failure to breathe was an assassination attempt by the Pfizer Booster.

But actually, there is one stand-out memory I do have.

You have NO idea how much shit you are in, nor how deep, until you realise you have no sense of feeling, and next to no ability to control any muscle movement in, the hand you normally use to wipe your arse...

And to top 2021 off, while I've been typing this, the owner of the pub I've been intending to spend NYE at just messaged her regulars WhatsApp group today she's tested positive on an LFT half an hour ago
F@@@

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

What do I take from this year?

A show of political mediocrity,the idiocy that in these days of everyone with their mobile phones at the ready they think they can get away with "the rules don't apply to us"

The sadness of of seeing the results of the Wayne Couzens in a uniform one offs who make it hard for the majority be trusted,the kids lives cut short by those they should trust the most.

Then there the resistance,the ones who want to glue themselves to a road all entitled to protest but not inconvenience,intimidate and risk others well being.

There's much more but will next year be any better?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Climbing Skiddaw, Haystacks and walking around Derwent Water with my wife and eldest son. Union Flag
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Bojos main failing ? Not taking back devolved powers on disease control so we could have ONE policy across ONE sovereign state.

As for wanting to forget, I have four of these...

10.5 % alcohol by volume.

Bought in the midst of lockdown but I have not dared open any lest the contents killed my Long Covid weakened form. If Twatford blocks my foreign holiday for a third year running I am going to smash one over his miserable head and carve up his carotid with the sharp end, and use the other three to commit suicide by alcohol poisoning.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on December 31, 2021, 09:57:30 AM
Dancing Dancing Why do I doubt that so much? Never mind perhaps the traditional alcohol intake tonight will loosen the grey matter!

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on December 31, 2021, 09:33:35 AM
So here we are the last day of the year. What do you remember of the last 12 months? What is your stand out memory that you will take with you? Political or otherwise.

I think my political memory will be how BJ has wasted what was a major election success. Having started the year I think in a fairly good place considering Covid etc, he frittered it away very publicly with decisions in almost every facet of government and his supposedly private life, that I have felt were to say the least, lacking in statesmanship and that have come back to bite him.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts