Honours?

Started by cromwell, December 31, 2021, 11:50:30 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on January 04, 2022, 10:07:30 AM
;D ;D I see today that Starmer is saying that Blair should have his Honour for all the good works he did but others are saying that if he has any dignity he should decline it.
I was told yesterday nobody was bothered by it, I guess that was one of those political untruths. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on January 04, 2022, 10:01:54 AM
So I'm told , the order of the garter , ends with death. On that note I'm also told 36 of its members were terminated by having their heads removed. So there is hope , for Blair haters.::)
Winston Churchill ,refused this honour in 1945. On the basis he felt he had never been elected PM,
Changed his mind in 1953.
;D ;D I see today that Starmer is saying that Blair should have his Honour for all the good works he did but others are saying that if he has any dignity he should decline it.

Good old

So I'm told , the order of the garter , ends with death. On that note I'm also told 36 of its members were terminated by having their heads removed. So there is hope , for Blair haters.::)
Winston Churchill ,refused this honour in 1945. On the basis he felt he had never been elected PM,
Changed his mind in 1953.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 03, 2022, 08:44:38 PM
According to Wikipedia it looks as though the Queen might have started afresh with her reign. Perhaps there is a thought that Blair will have a short run unless Charles re-appoints him when he becomes King.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Knights_and_Dames_Commander_of_the_Royal_Victorian_Order_appointed_by_Elizabeth_II_(1952%E2%80%9377)

Not sure about that. I found a list of all the appointments to the order of the garter ever.

I see the 907th appointment was Gerald Wellesley the 7th Duke of Wellington who was enrolled in 1951 by George VI in the last year of his life. 

I see no evidence he was ejected (a process previous sovereigns have followed)

Elizabeth appointed the 8th Duke as the 972nd appointment in 1990, almost 20 years after his father died....

I think the appointments are for life unless forcibly removed

We might yet find out !!!!!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on January 03, 2022, 02:29:39 PM
I can't find what happens to this group when the Queen dies. Do those in the Order carry on after her death or does Charles start again? Yes but she was thinking family imagining it to be a family/private matter. The boys had to come first until Blair emoted nationally. His acting needed an oscar that day.
Nah big ears wanted to hide behind his kids,he was afraid the crowd might turn.

Anyway just about to hit half a million.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 03, 2022, 08:34:48 PM
I suppose a swift way to resolve that is to check the dates the companions were installed. Unless there was a mass chucking out about 70 years ago the post is for life, in which case Charlie just carries on with the latest his mum chose .... Until they pop their clogs and he adds his own replacements....
According to Wikipedia it looks as though the Queen might have started afresh with her reign. Perhaps there is a thought that Blair will have a short run unless Charles re-appoints him when he becomes King.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Knights_and_Dames_Commander_of_the_Royal_Victorian_Order_appointed_by_Elizabeth_II_(1952%E2%80%9377)

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 03, 2022, 02:29:39 PM
I can't find what happens to this group when the Queen dies. Do those in the Order carry on after her death or does Charles start again?

I suppose a swift way to resolve that is to check the dates the companions were installed. Unless there was a mass chucking out about 70 years ago the post is for life, in which case Charlie just carries on with the latest his mum chose .... Until they pop their clogs and he adds his own replacements....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

I can't find what happens to this group when the Queen dies. Do those in the Order carry on after her death or does Charles start again? 
Quote from: cromwell on January 03, 2022, 02:27:17 PM
You think?

Remember the death of Diana and the press "where is our queen where is our flag" and who came back then and raised the standard and hung on to her teeth? No difference imo.
Yes but she was thinking family imagining it to be a family/private matter. The boys had to come first until Blair emoted nationally. His acting needed an oscar that day.

cromwell

Quote from: Good old on January 03, 2022, 02:20:20 PM
Well I'm no great lover of the awards system,. So I do not defend them.  He certainly isn't hated by everyone. I have listened to a number of call ins today and he still gets a fair bit of  support. If it ever gets to the point that an on line petition gets to force a change of mind by the monarch ,on a subject  such as this. Then the monarchy will be finished because just about every tooth it ever had will have been extracted.
You think?

Remember the death of Diana and the press "where is our queen where is our flag" and who came back then and raised the standard and hung on to her teeth? No difference imo.

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on January 03, 2022, 02:23:08 PM
She ain't Donald Trump , sheep.  And in any case most people couldn't give that much of a toss about this , and she knows it.

It seems it is heading for half a million already so I guess they do give a toss. Why you are throwing around Donald Trump and Royality will be finished if she dare change her mind, I don't know, so I won't bother guessing. 

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on January 03, 2022, 02:08:01 PM
I would say then let the Queen judge the mood of the people which on the whole she hasn't been all bad at.

She ain't Donald Trump , sheep.  And in any case most people couldn't give that much of a toss about this , and she knows it.

Good old

Quote from: cromwell on January 03, 2022, 02:03:38 PM
Matters little who it's a gift of if it's unpopular,and the monarchy don't like being that.

What purpose do these awards to clapped out politicians serve other than themselves,now if it were for people who had done things for little or no financial reward that'd be fine.

He is I reckon the most hated ex pm so this decision lacks any foresight or common sense whoever it be gift a of.
Well I'm no great lover of the awards system,. So I do not defend them.  He certainly isn't hated by everyone. I have listened to a number of call ins today and he still gets a fair bit of  support. If it ever gets to the point that an on line petition gets to force a change of mind by the monarch ,on a subject  such as this. Then the monarchy will be finished because just about every tooth it ever had will have been extracted.

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on January 03, 2022, 02:01:35 PM
If it was a gift of the people what you say would have an outside chance, no more . One good reason for him getting this award is , the queens decision may be questioned by some people, but no way changed .

I would say then let the Queen judge the mood of the people which on the whole she hasn't been all bad at. 

cromwell

Quote from: Good old on January 03, 2022, 01:51:22 PM
This is about an award that is in the gift of the monarch, not the subject of a gift of the people. Nothing against people having a moan . People can have a moan about anything including thinking they have had their eye poked.
Blair has received awards from all around the world. By that measure the people should  probably not be able to see straight by now.
Matters little who it's a gift of if it's unpopular,and the monarchy don't like being that.

What purpose do these awards to clapped out politicians serve other than themselves,now if it were for people who had done things for little or no financial reward that'd be fine.

He is I reckon the most hated ex pm so this decision lacks any foresight or common sense whoever it be a gift of.

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on January 03, 2022, 01:55:14 PM
Nice try, but it doesn't change the fact of we will see, like I have already said, if I was Bliar I would be having a sweaty brow. Because he could bring the whole house of cards down with him.

If it was a gift of the people what you say would have an outside chance, no more . One good reason for him getting this award is , the queens decision may be questioned by some people, but no way changed .