Honours?

Started by cromwell, December 31, 2021, 11:50:30 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Come on Thomas something I have learnt the Scots love a political caricature you can do better than that.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Here is a link to the petition for anyone interested....

Petition · MP's: To Strip Tony Blair of His Knighthood · Change.org

I have signed as have many of my former comrades whom I still keep in touch with though most of us have left the party.

Anyone at all though, regardless of political persuasion, who thinks Blair should not be honoured in this way is welcome to sign. 
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on January 01, 2022, 02:32:12 PM
They must've known at the palace what the reaction would be,petitions were started early last year which were then rejected but the warning signs were there.
Signed the petition yet? as is your democratic right?

cromwell

They must've known at the palace what the reaction would be,petitions were started early last year which were then rejected but the warning signs were there.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on January 01, 2022, 02:13:27 PM
What a disgusting, shameful decision': Fury as Tony Blair is given a knighthood with Britons branding him a 'war criminal' and demanding honours system is scrapped

• Sir Tony has long faced a backlash over decision to lead the UK into war in Iraq
  • Former PM has been appointed to the Order of the Garter as Knight Companion
  • Most PMs are appointed a few years after leaving office but he waited 14 years 

The decision to make Tony Blair a Sir was met with anger by many on social media, as the former Prime Minister was branded a 'war criminal'.

Sir Tony has long faced a backlash over his decision to lead the UK into Iraq and Afghanistan, which cost the lives of 179 British personnel as well as many more civilians.
But it was announced last night that he had been appointed to the Order of the Garter as a Knight Companion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10360523/Fury-Tony-Blair-Sir-Queen-Britons-branding-war-criminal.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK&ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Told you it will be hilarious. 

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

What a disgusting, shameful decision': Fury as Tony Blair is given a knighthood with Britons branding him a 'war criminal' and demanding honours system is scrapped

• Sir Tony has long faced a backlash over decision to lead the UK into war in Iraq
  • Former PM has been appointed to the Order of the Garter as Knight Companion
  • Most PMs are appointed a few years after leaving office but he waited 14 years 

The decision to make Tony Blair a Sir was met with anger by many on social media, as the former Prime Minister was branded a 'war criminal'.

Sir Tony has long faced a backlash over his decision to lead the UK into Iraq and Afghanistan, which cost the lives of 179 British personnel as well as many more civilians.
But it was announced last night that he had been appointed to the Order of the Garter as a Knight Companion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10360523/Fury-Tony-Blair-Sir-Queen-Britons-branding-war-criminal.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK&ito=social-twitter_mailonline

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on January 01, 2022, 01:16:40 PM
I didn't know either so did a brief search and found this....

Difference Between Lord and Sir | Compare the Difference Between Similar Terms

T
his tends to suggest that knights are still considered to be commoners who can be elected to the Commons but who do not get automatic seats in the Lords.

So with any luck we might still be spared the spectacle of him popping up there.
i see a lot of lefties are asking if he got the knighthood for helping destroy wurzel.?

Poor auld keir starmer , the new year isnt off to a good start for labour and the blairites is it? Not going down well by the anger im seeing across the intewebby  , with blair s knighthood being widely condemned left right and centre.

Whoever proposed this was a facking genius in my book.

Thomas

Thomas

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on January 01, 2022, 01:55:15 PM
Well there you are. If Sir Tony is so desperate for such a trinket then it is a sad business.

I had a boss who was a peer. We treated the poor bastard like shit and there was sod all he could do about it. Every so often he would trot of to the House of Lords to collect his attendance allowance and when he got back we would demand cakes and beer for doing his job. He wasn't a bad lad, but to my way of thinking it was a high price to pay for a piece of elderly vanity.

I once had an accountant on the line who asked that we stop ringing up his Sir X and pretending that he was a pub. The accountant said that if anyone was going to take the piss it was going to be him
dont borkie. Leave good old alone mate. Good old defending the indefensible tony blair and his inglorious legacy is one of the highlights of coming on this forum at times.

Keir starmer must break out in a sweat everytime blair gets himself back in the news.

To be hated equally by left and right , brit , scot ,english and welsh nationalists and irish unionists  , and everycant in between is a political feat yet to be passed , yet our tony has managed it.

Do you hink bojo had a word in lizzies ear to give tony a knighthood as a bit of a piss take as well as another dart thrown at the labour party in general?

Fackin brilliant .;D

Borchester

Quote from: Good old on January 01, 2022, 12:25:23 PM
Surely more to the point is who was so desperate for him to have this acclaim by the award of  the highest of knighthoods.?
And why? It would seem that as long as his name remains blackened for public consumption , alls well, and no harm done.

Well there you are. If Sir Tony is so desperate for such a trinket then it is a sad business.

I had a boss who was a peer. We treated the poor bastard like shit and there was sod all he could do about it. Every so often he would trot of to the House of Lords to collect his attendance allowance and when he got back we would demand cakes and beer for doing his job. He wasn't a bad lad, but to my way of thinking it was a high price to pay for a piece of elderly vanity.

I once had an accountant on the line who asked that we stop ringing up his Sir X and pretending that he was a pub. The accountant said that if anyone was going to take the piss it was going to be him
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

yep , looks like its going down well across the interwebby.

I see there is already a petition up and running to get the knighthood rescinded , and someone just said gerry adams sent congratulations.;D

Tony blair , the gift that keeps giving.

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on January 01, 2022, 01:36:04 PM
I reckon it is funny as feck, not only can they laugh at you when they feel like it, they can poke everyone in the eye as well.
So do i sheep.

Its yet another nail in blairs coffin , and his disgusting legacy. It is another blow to the blairites in control of the current manifestation of new labour , as starmers hero yet again being villified by the public mere months after his afghanistan legacy was once again trashed.

and of course its another nail in the honours system that such a shyster as blair is seen to be rewarded.

All in all funny as fack  , as well as serving a usefull purpose indirectly.