Main Menu

I need a man!

Started by T00ts, January 03, 2022, 12:14:51 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 03, 2022, 07:24:55 PM
He's not he's bloody useless,he thought lead sheathed electrics from nineteen nought plonk was ok. 
He's the diy equivalent of those who did the cladding on grenfell. 

Anyway why didn't you measure the screw length bracket depth against plug before screwing it in or should I say up. 
Exactly! Like I said rookie error. To be fair it was donated by my daughter and she gave me the screws. I thought I had measured as you suggest but didn't take into account the gauge. Probably an 8x2". Guilty as charged M'lud. :(

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on January 03, 2022, 06:53:44 PM
;D ;D ;D  You are incorrigible! My Dad used to do the same with matches and for years I followed his example but have to say that since I found the made to size plastic variety the jobs are usually much easier. I discovered many years ago that a better job always results when I use the right tools, something I never quite managed to teach my lovely husband. In the end he offered muscle when needed but left the rest to me, noting in the midst of putting in a bathroom, that my joints never leaked. He decided he was more use to me on the golf course and I'm afraid I had to agree.
He's not he's bloody useless,he thought lead sheathed electrics from nineteen nought plonk was ok.  
He's the diy equivalent of those who did the cladding on grenfell.  

Anyway why didn't you measure the screw length bracket depth against plug before screwing it in or should I say up.  

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on January 03, 2022, 06:45:53 PM
Well done Toots.

I have a small DIY problem myself. As mentioned, I am currently trying to stop the Rural Slum falling into the street, to which end I got to the shop across the road every few days and buy half a dozen boxes of matches. The lady behind the counter doesn't speak any English and I speak even less Gujarati, but we smile a lot and are friends. In fact, at Christmas she gave me a couple of disposable gas lighters, which was very sweet of her.

The problem is that I use the matches as rawlplugs and plastics lighters don't really answer. So now I buy my matches elsewhere and by a gas lighter when I go to the shop across the road
;D ;D ;D  You are incorrigible! My Dad used to do the same with matches and for years I followed his example but have to say that since I found the made to size plastic variety the jobs are usually much easier. I discovered many years ago that a better job always results when I use the right tools, something I never quite managed to teach my lovely husband. In the end he offered muscle when needed but left the rest to me, noting in the midst of putting in a bathroom, that my joints never leaked. He decided he was more use to me on the golf course and I'm afraid I had to agree.

Borchester

Well done Toots.

I have a small DIY problem myself. As mentioned, I am currently trying to stop the Rural Slum falling into the street, to which end I got to the shop across the road every few days and buy half a dozen boxes of matches. The lady behind the counter doesn't speak any English and I speak even less Gujarati, but we smile a lot and are friends. In fact, at Christmas she gave me a couple of disposable gas lighters, which was very sweet of her.

The problem is that I use the matches as rawlplugs and plastics lighters don't really answer. So now I buy my matches elsewhere and by a gas lighter when I go to the shop across the road
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 03, 2022, 03:41:02 PM
Look I know this is going to sound stupid and it's a bit after the event but a "serious" black and decker cordless I bought a few years ago to complement the DEADLY serious hammer drill I bought 40 years ago .... has a reversible drill and five torque settings.

I only ever do screws up to setting one or two.

Setting five in reverse generally has the oompah to rip the whole wall off if the screws won't come out......

Big black and orange thing, bought it in some cheap DIY store (B&M or Home Bargains) and change from fifty quid .... (about 3 years ago)
Oh don't worry I tried every machine I have and yes it sounds like a cordless that I have. It was my own reckless stupidity assuming it was a straightforward little job that just went completely off piste. I really don't know what I was thinking. I never do screws up like that as a rule, certainly not til I know the job is good. I have only myself to blame. As said if that's how 2022 is going to be then I'm for hibernation! 

johnofgwent

Look I know this is going to sound stupid and it's a bit after the event but a "serious" black and decker cordless I bought a few years ago to complement the DEADLY serious hammer drill I bought 40 years ago .... has a reversible drill and five torque settings.

I only ever do screws up to setting one or two.

Setting five in reverse generally has the oompah to rip the whole wall off if the screws won't come out......

Big black and orange thing, bought it in some cheap DIY store (B&M or Home Bargains) and change from fifty quid .... (about 3 years ago)
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Thanks for all suggestions and support/sympathy :P I have both screws out and am on rewind and start again mode.  Dancing Dancing Dancing 

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 03, 2022, 02:22:12 PM
Shouldn't have sawn them
No other choice there was no way to reach the screws. Shouldn't have started the wretched job today. (Sob!)

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on January 03, 2022, 02:19:11 PM
Yes thank you I do have a set, the problem has been that there is barely 0.5cm of screw sticking out from the wall. I have managed to get one out so far and am still working on the other. Not the way I planned on spending today. I am finding muscles I had forgotten! :(
Shouldn't have sawn them 

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 03, 2022, 02:12:32 PM
Not expensive and you don't need to be desperate Dan to use them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Redline-67824-Straight-Pliers/dp/B010NCYK3C/ref=asc_df_B010NCYK3C/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226152056294&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7114141036115266215&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006785&hvtargid=pla-421793611109&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
Yes thank you I do have a set, the problem has been that there is barely 0.5cm of screw sticking out from the wall. I have managed to get one out so far and am still working on the other. Not the way I planned on spending today. I am finding muscles I had forgotten! :(

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on January 03, 2022, 12:45:11 PM
My Dad had some self grips which he passed down to me when he left.
Now, a job like  that and it's "Fred's self grips - they have never been defeated."
Mmmm I'm struggling. This is where I need Fred's grips and Fred's strength to go with them.

Barry

My Dad had some self grips which he passed down to me when he left.
Now, a job like  that and it's "Fred's self grips - they have never been defeated."
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 03, 2022, 12:29:27 PM
Screw stuck mole grip always does the job for me.
Yes I just couldn't get at the screw. Stupid!  Anyway second screw now cut. I still need to get them out of the wall so that is my next thought. There is very little now to get hold of so I may have to drill them out in the end. Then rewind and start again! I was expecting a really quick job too!

cromwell

Screw stuck mole grip always does the job for me.