Democracy in crisis?

Started by Sheepy, January 04, 2022, 12:01:45 PM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 04, 2022, 03:27:31 PM
In a true democracy government policy in general reflects the will of the people , America gets nowhere close to achieving that goal .

Whatever the will of the people means. Are the people ever going to be totally in line with each other's will?
If democracy reflects division it's only because there is no such thing as the will of the people only the the greater percentage of an electorate.

Good old

Quote from: Barry on January 04, 2022, 03:37:01 PM
Brought this over from the other thread.

How about government by online vote for all major issues? We live in an online world, virtually everyone has Internet and phones, we don't need an expensive polling booth, just use your digital ID to vote maybe twice a year. Your local MP can be voted upon every year!
It's an interesting concept, as long as it was fully secure with no chance of repeated voting. Not sure that would apply to petitions, which was the subject of the  quote you use.

Barry

Quote from: Good old on January 04, 2022, 03:23:14 PM
What next.? How about government by on line petition? Even better if we can swing it by getting a few million to sign, that's enough to say it's what everyone wants. Beyond that.  

Brought this over from the other thread.

How about government by online vote for all major issues? We live in an online world, virtually everyone has Internet and phones, we don't need an expensive polling booth, just use your digital ID to vote maybe twice a year. Your local MP can be voted upon every year!
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

In a true democracy government policy in general reflects the will of the people , America gets nowhere close to achieving that goal .

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on January 04, 2022, 01:09:00 PM
Yes it is and it's spreading.

I think we differ on the solution though. :D
Well maybe, but I see you are voting messiahs down, so maybe not.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Yes it is and it's spreading.

I think we differ on the solution though. :D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Majority of Americans Think Democracy Is in Crisis, New Poll Find (msn.com)
I didn't need a poll I have tried speaking with a few of them, absolutely polarised. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!