So whatever you find offensive you can rectify

Started by cromwell, January 05, 2022, 06:59:15 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on January 05, 2022, 11:14:23 PM
The Bristol statue topplers were pushing on something of a open door - since Colston has already fallen from grace in the city.

Anyway the footage of the toppling was quite entertaining. So maybe the statue should be re-erected every year so that it can be toppled and dumped in the water every year!!!

You are, I presume, aware the asshole that is Bristol's Mayor held a vote asking whether the statue should be torn down or left up, be and the majority said leave it up

But of course you're not one for accepting the majority verdict in such a vote are you, just like these criminals.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

I cant see how they are not guilty when they have clearly broke the law .  Do not Judges direct the jury in such clear cut cases ?

Its not who the statue was representing but the fact it was a statue in a public place . The judge and Jury seem to have got caught up in the protest rather than enacting the law 

I demand a retrial !

HDQQ

The Bristol statue topplers were pushing on something of a open door - since Colston has already fallen from grace in the city.

Anyway the footage of the toppling was quite entertaining. So maybe the statue should be re-erected every year so that it can be toppled and dumped in the water every year!!!

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Good old

Not just a judge ,a jury. If you don't like something that is not yours , damage it destroy it even , throw it in a river. 
The slave trade ended two hundred years ago or so. It looks likes like civilised behaviour has ended in 2022.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on January 05, 2022, 07:11:36 PM
There's a pretty offensive character called Cromwell standing in Parliament Square.
Don't give much for his chances. ::)

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on January 05, 2022, 07:11:36 PM
There's a pretty offensive character called Cromwell standing in Parliament Square.
Don't give much for his chances. ::)
Dancing Dancing Dancing

Barry

Don't give much for his chances. ::)
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 05, 2022, 06:59:15 PM
Apparently I just heard that those who pulled the statue down in Bristol were entitled to do so because they were offended by it.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-59727161

Well I and nearly three quarters of a million are offended by bliars award (far more than those involved in this protest) so by this logic are entitled to take direct action to show our displeasure,people who are anti abortion should be allowed to harangue and block clinics, people with religious beliefs refuse to serve gays or shout homophobic abuse.

Well no I don't believe any of that but this does set the precedent,whatever the rights and wrongs of the statue they broke the law imo obviously others took a different view.
So was the verdict done with a twist of an arm to avoid the uproar which would have erupted causing damage to the City? It doesn't seem logical. Ripping any public monument etc has to be criminal damage. If it wasn't what was it really? How long before half the monuments in the country come down. This surely gives anything carte blanche.

Good old

Quote from: cromwell on January 05, 2022, 06:59:15 PM
Apparently I just heard that those who pulled the statue down in Bristol were entitled to do so because they were offended by it.

Well I and nearly three quarters of a million are offended by bliars award (far more than those involved in this protest) so by this logic are entitled to take direct action to show our displeasure,people who are anti abortion should be allowed to harangue and block clinics, people with religious beliefs refuse to serve gays or shout homophobic abuse.

Well no I don't believe any of that but this does set the precedent,whatever the rights and wrongs of the statue they broke the law imo obviously others took a different view.

I really do agree with you on this one. What the hell is this judge thinking . What next desecrate war memorials? offending art work.? The possibilities are endless none of them good.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?