Sorry...you're cancelled.

Started by DeppityDawg, January 09, 2022, 11:58:12 AM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

HDQQ

Quote from: DeppityDawg on January 09, 2022, 11:58:12 AM
Its been going on for a while now, but its now becoming impossible to miss that virtually all 'characters' in films, tv shows and even adverts are now either black, gay, kick ass women saving the planet while still dropping the kids off to school, or disabled/transexuals jet skiing or hang gliding in spite of whatever affliction they might suffer

If you based it on film/tv/media representation, you could be forgiven for thinking that straight white males were actually a small minority in this country.
As a combat-hardened (moderate) leftist on these forums, I have to confess that I agree with you on this one. As an older white male myself it looks very much as if our kind are being marginalised by the media. I don't mean marginalised by society in general, just by the media.

It's a bit like how, a few years ago, adverts portrayed clueless dads in aprons attempting to do housework, cooking or washing up. I've always done my fair share of those things for all the years I've been married.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry on January 09, 2022, 03:22:40 PM
It's twisted. It's twisted because we live in an evil post-truth society which wants to look at anything except what is good and normal family behaviour.
Don't listen to them. They are the enemy of a stable society.

Even though I think the word "evil" is a bit ott, its hard to disagree with the sentiment. It IS a post truth society.

Do you remember a certain poster not getting why I wouldn't fawn all over Harry Stiles for his attention seeking antics wearing a dress? He simply couldn't get why it pisses people off when its declared (by people or in the media for instance) that its perfectly "normal" for men to wear a dresses. I told the poster concerned that was bollox, and it certainly was not fecking normal, or we'd all be seeing dozens of men wearing dresses every day, when the truth is we don't.

No doubt he uttered a few "phobics" and "isms" to himself even if he didn't write them.

Tired of it tbh

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on January 09, 2022, 03:22:40 PM
It's twisted. It's twisted because we live in an evil post-truth society which wants to look at anything except what is good and normal family behaviour.

The real evil is the advertising. It's advertising "standards" which are the problem. No family is ever a man and a woman of the same race. And so on

It is however getting amusing. More than one company have started to attack the artificial family these adverts depict.

In the past five minutes an ad break on itv4 featured two such, first an online house moving site exposed the fake family of a black bloke, white woman and two mixed race kids and then after Ryland the teeth and his nauseating car buyer site another came up this time for a car leasing company where the guy says the family shown aren't his, they're actors he hired...

Maybe ad agencies know they've gone too far.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Its been going on for a while now, but its now becoming impossible to miss that virtually all 'characters' in films, tv shows and even adverts are now either black, gay, kick ass women saving the planet while still dropping the kids off to school, or disabled/transexuals jet skiing or hang gliding in spite of whatever affliction they might suffer

If you based it on film/tv/media representation, you could be forgiven for thinking that straight white males were actually a small minority in this country.
† The end is nigh †

Sampanviking

I have said for some time that TV and movies have become more like a freak show than anything else.
If Python had done a sketch based on that fifty years ago everybody would have wet themselves watching it.
The situation today is still a joke, just that its a bad one and on us.

Sheepy

One of those Sheep's bit of advice, if you don't want cultural, ethnic and even male and female divides stop consenting and they would have to stop importing it and stirring it up. Duh!
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 09, 2022, 01:53:26 PM
I dont think its racism , more a capitulation of some industries to the WOKE agenda , media/TV and cinema  being the most visual

Ive just turned the football on ,There is a woman presenter and two black ex players as pundits and I wouldn't have a clue who any  of them are . Hardly Saint and Greavsie is it ?
When I turn the footie on I turn the commentary off,Amazon offer crowd noise which is preferable to the crap talked.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on January 09, 2022, 01:22:21 PM
What is irritating is that racism only seems to be recognised most of the time in one direction.
I dont think its racism , more a capitulation of some industries to the WOKE agenda , media/TV and cinema  being the most visual 

Ive just turned the football on ,There is a woman presenter and two black ex players as pundits and I wouldn't have a clue who any  of them are . Hardly Saint and Greavsie is it ?

T00ts

What is irritating is that racism only seems to be recognised most of the time in one direction.

Streetwalker

Indeed it has been quite noticeable in recent times, the placing of ethnics/minorities into every aspect of TV ,news media ,films and advertising .
The situation has arisen over the years because they complained they were not being represented , that watching the TV in the UK didn't have any black faces . We have even ended up with what the ethnics  would call cultural misappropriation with English historical characters being played by ethnics ,the irony in that eh !

Its hardly surprising though when our national broadcaster can do this   BBC draws flak for 'appalling racism' after posting recruitment ad for trainee position that openly excludes white applicants — RT UK News

Its no different to Construction firms a few years ago asking for only Romanian speaking applicants ,or the Met Police telling a young lad along the road they were only accepting applicants from ethnic minorities at this time .

Maybe we have to complain more , elect people who will represent us because its quite obvious that the liberal left is still running the show .

T00ts

I have made similar comments and was told to be careful since it might be deemed racist, sexist, etc etc etc. Fortunately it was my daughters who had my future well being in mind. I am sure that BLM has forced, if that's right word, the media in general to play up the roles in society of those who are not white males. I am not sure it's at all healthy for society as a whole. There has to be balance in everything and perhaps the pendulum has swung too far again. We just don't seem to be able to get it right and give equal weight to all.

DeppityDawg

Its been going on for a while now, but its now becoming impossible to miss that virtually all 'characters' in films, tv shows and even adverts are now either black, gay, kick ass women saving the planet while still dropping the kids off to school, or disabled/transexuals jet skiing or hang gliding in spite of whatever affliction they might suffer