Well read or well red?

Started by T00ts, January 09, 2022, 01:45:48 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Warning:  This novel does not contain any explicit language, gratuitous violence or graphic portrayals sexual activity.  If you are easily bored, do not read it.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

It's all part of the requirement that the university keep a safe space protocol. I was at a role playing game convention the November before lockdown. The convention organiser demanded ALL game players respect some Uber woke code ....

Now if you want to do that, that's fine. If your game table targets an age range below the age of majority, and you want to tone it down, that's fine. If you want to offer a more inclusive experience, fine. I might even join in.

But horror roleplaying in the mythos of HP Lovecraft is MY special thing, and there are many game variants, and among them you have the decadent twenties, the even more so decadent and positively over the top excess of the Berlin Cafe society of "Cabaret" and then if course there's Achtung!! Cthulhu !! the game set in the thick of Hitler's Third Reich.

As I have letters and postcards sent to dad from the thick of the thirties Berlin decadence where part of our family were in it up close and personal until they buggered off to Rhodesia when things went a bit "Tomorrow Belongs" I naturally run campaigns close to the bone. I make no secret of it, and I have to carefully watch how random players at conventions take it, but until now I've never had an issue

The woke arseholes are starting to drive me Underground. My style of gaming is no longer welcome in their gaming hall. Fine. I shall run my next one in a Fleet Street pub whose landlord knows me of old and knows where I draw my own line on content and behaviour and welcomes my custom.

I know who will have the more fun.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on January 09, 2022, 01:45:48 PM
Can someone please explain to me why someone aged at least 18 and considered an adult has to have a warning issued before they read items from a book list including Jane Eyre, Great Expectations and others? Why would someone who is presumably studying English not have read these books already? In fact why haven't most schools introduced the classics before 15?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10382323/Read-Jane-Eyre-dare-University-students-given-trigger-warnings-classic-literature.html

Are these same 'children' protected from 18 films etc?
Perhaps they won't be able to sort the fact from fiction and want to tear down a few more statues,that most of them have been using the internet for years to view x rated sites seems to have escaped the authorities.

History has to be rewritten to give it the context of todays mores apparently.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on January 09, 2022, 01:45:48 PM
Can someone please explain to me why someone aged at least 18 and considered an adult has to have a warning issued before they read items from a book list including Jane Eyre, Great Expectations and others? Why would someone who is presumably studying English not have read these books already? In fact why haven't most schools introduced the classics before 15?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10382323/Read-Jane-Eyre-dare-University-students-given-trigger-warnings-classic-literature.html

Its just a heads up that all they have been told in modern education might not be true 

T00ts

Can someone please explain to me why someone aged at least 18 and considered an adult has to have a warning issued before they read items from a book list including Jane Eyre, Great Expectations and others? Why would someone who is presumably studying English not have read these books already? In fact why haven't most schools introduced the classics before 15?