Why those parties have made me angry

Started by Barry, January 11, 2022, 03:48:53 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

He has as much integrity as Silvio Berlusconi and his bunga bunga parties.
† The end is nigh †

Good old

That memo, EMail whatever, apparently said , come to a get together, bring your own booze.
Is that how you call a works meeting.? Seriously? And let's face it this was just one of a number of party situations under his roof which, he says he thought were work meetings. The intellect of a national leader Ah,!.
If he stands on this, he has surely broken every last ounce of the publics trust in there being even a smidgen of integrity in the office of PM. The incredible thing is he is able to leave all of us guessing as to the outcome. When he should be hounded out by his own party, let alone the say so of a civil servant.
Maybe he thought it read come to a party meeting. .? I shouldn't encourage him.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on January 12, 2022, 03:51:09 PM
I thought you were mad as a hatter for how he has dealt with C19, and even with Brexit I am not sure that he has really come up trumps. I still can't find a replacement among those with a profile, perhaps the future PM is still to come to the fore, but we need some gravitas and statesmanship whoever it is. I just hope that BJ hasn't fatally damaged Conservatism because Labour will be the mistake.
His replacement could be someone who re-joins the EU in all but name and reduces freedoms for no real reason. That's why.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on January 12, 2022, 03:46:04 PM
Because of Brexit and Coronavirus.
I thought you were mad as a hatter for how he has dealt with C19, and even with Brexit I am not sure that he has really come up trumps. I still can't find a replacement among those with a profile, perhaps the future PM is still to come to the fore, but we need some gravitas and statesmanship whoever it is. I just hope that BJ hasn't fatally damaged Conservatism because Labour will be the mistake.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on January 12, 2022, 02:31:25 PM
No a president will be a figurehead but still cost us,I wouldn't mind a figurehead president who is not some ex sleazy politician.
The saving grace is that a mere figurehead president would not be that attractive to the power hungry, except perhaps as some sort of last hobby before retirement. But yes, an elected president has potential pitfalls. But then so too does monarchy. Getting a good monarch after all is purely dependent upon the accident of birth, whilst getting a good president is entirely dependent upon the good sense of the electorate. History has taught us that neither are reliable. The best thing we could do if we were to become a republic would be to bar anyone who has ever held elected office or sat in parliament from standing for president.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Good old

Quote from: srb7677 on January 12, 2022, 03:25:46 PM
And all the while those making the rules were blatantly taking the piss out of us.

And still are. Because until he walks,, it's basically a case of. What are you going to do about it. He might get off yet.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on January 12, 2022, 03:27:44 PM
As T00ts says. No way back, but still he has not got the decency to quit. I don't want him to go, but at the same time I didn't want all the stupid rubbish he has been involved with, lying and cheating his way through the highest office in the land.

Times up!
Why do you not want him to go? I think he is playing for time if for no other reason than to get his ducks in a row ready for his post PM career and a vague hope that he can ride it out. I have already decided that if he stays I will not vote for the first time ever. He brings the Conservatives and politics into disrepute and shames our country on the world stage. At the time he was elected the choice between him and Hunt was a no brainer but now?  He has to go.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on January 12, 2022, 12:56:14 PM
I can't see any way back.
Me neither. He will do irreparable damage to your chosen party and it's reputation if he stays. Most of the Tory supporters I know, as do you it seems, recognise this now. All those who want a Tory government and a successful one probably need to make their feelings known. Boris still being in place when the next election comes is just about the only thing that could deliver a majority for Starmer's Labour. And even I don't want that.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Get your own thread about republicanism. Butt Kick
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote"Mr Speaker, I want to apologise," he told a packed Commons. "I know that millions of people across this country have made extraordinary sacrifices over the last 18 months. I know the anguish that they have been through, unable to mourn their relatives, unable to live their lives as they want or to do the things they love."

He said: "I know the rage they feel with me, and with the government I lead, when they think that in Downing Street itself the rules were not being properly followed by the people who make the rules."

Johnson said that on the evening concerned he joined the event for about 25 minutes from around 6pm, saying that, with the No 10 garden being used as "an extension of the office" amid lockdown, he believed it was a work event.

"With hindsight I should have sent everyone back inside," he said, arguing that the event "could be said, technically, to fall within the guidance" of the time.

Johnson said he accepted many would disagree, adding: "To them, and to this house, I offer my heartfelt apology."
As T00ts says. No way back, but still he has not got the decency to quit. I don't want him to go, but at the same time I didn't want all the stupid rubbish he has been involved with, lying and cheating his way through the highest office in the land.

Times up!
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on January 12, 2022, 12:14:50 PMMost folk ignored the Peking Pox restrictions and weren't bothered when the Tories did the same.
That is patently untrue. Some ignored it, and some of them were fined for it. But most adhered to the rules. Including all those angriliy denouncing Boris on tv and radio, having themselves had to leave loved ones to die alone. Most of us know people this has happened to. And all the while those making the rules were blatantly taking the piss out of us. If you cannot understand the depth of anger in the public at large for this you are clearly out of touch. I know a lot of Tory voters - my workplace is located in a strong Tory area - and some of them are saying they will not vote Tory again unless Boris goes. Most are saying he has to go for the sake of his party. And many of them are angry too. This is real, not something confected out of thin air by opponents. An anger fueled by raw emotion Opponents will of course make the most out of it. That's politics. But the raw anger is very real.

B0ycey

Quote from: Good old on January 12, 2022, 03:14:45 PM
Wouldn't it be true to say the Queen is little more now than occupier of the throne and the head they put the crown on when it's on display. The Queen merely symbolises the continuity important to the confidence of any nation.
The thing being it's the throne ,the crown that is the rallying point, and every nation has to have a rallying point. Even down to extravagant expressions of wealth and well being.  Which in many cases survive well beyond the monarchies that that put them in place.
The Queen has no power in terms of policy if that is what you mean. Even her Royal privilege isn't hers and neither is her parliamentary speech. There is historic reason for that of course. But she is head of state nonetheless. And that has a cost to us the tax payer. It also means she gets to deal with other head of states. Which means it's a job with a privilege.

Good old

Wouldn't it be true to say the Queen is little more now than occupier of the throne and the head they put the crown on when it's on display. The Queen merely symbolises the continuity important to the confidence of any nation.
The thing being it's the throne ,the crown that is the rallying point, and every nation has to have a rallying point. Even down to extravagant expressions of wealth and well being.  Which in many cases survive well beyond the monarchies that that put them in place. 

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on January 12, 2022, 03:07:54 PM
Fair comment but I look at how they stitch things up now,I think we need a massive overhaul of the Lords,Commons and the voting system.
Well can't disagree with that, but then look at it this way. If Prince Andrew was the first Child and Charles the second, the next in line then would be someone who is being accused of pedophilia and they would be our head of state for a few decades when the Queen dies without being elected to do so. Does that appeal to you?