Changes to the highway code

Started by cromwell, January 12, 2022, 08:31:20 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on January 29, 2022, 09:53:47 PM
Have been listening to LBC on this topic in recent days. Apparently, cyclists are now being given the legal right to cycle in the middle of the lane instead of cycling on the left hand side. This could make it virtually impossible for motorists to overtake them safely leading to long slow moving tailbacks, and/or reckless and dangerous overtaking. It is a recipe for the generation of road rage.

Of course, most cyclists are sensible and reasonable people and will not do this. But we all know there are a reckless and arrogant few who think the road they are paying nothing for belongs to them and that cars shouldn't be on it at all, who will delight in doing this just to prove a point. It is a recipe for more injured cyclists, and more angry drivers driving badly, and will likely ratchet up ill will between cyclists and motorists.

I have to commute 15 miles to work. If I am forced to travel most of the way at cycle speed because of some arrogant twit, resulting in me being very late to work, getting told off, and losing pay, I will frankly feel like punching the twit. Some people probably will. This rule is ill advised to say the least.
Headline today about a group of cyclists riding centrally and in pairs. They held the queue for 8 miles periodically looking back laughing and mocking the following drivers. It's only a matter of time I'm afraid.

srb7677

Have been listening to LBC on this topic in recent days. Apparently, cyclists are now being given the legal right to cycle in the middle of the lane instead of cycling on the left hand side. This could make it virtually impossible for motorists to overtake them safely leading to long slow moving tailbacks, and/or reckless and dangerous overtaking. It is a recipe for the generation of road rage.

Of course, most cyclists are sensible and reasonable people and will not do this. But we all know there are a reckless and arrogant few who think the road they are paying nothing for belongs to them and that cars shouldn't be on it at all, who will delight in doing this just to prove a point. It is a recipe for more injured cyclists, and more angry drivers driving badly, and will likely ratchet up ill will between cyclists and motorists.

I have to commute 15 miles to work. If I am forced to travel most of the way at cycle speed because of some arrogant twit, resulting in me being very late to work, getting told off, and losing pay, I will frankly feel like punching the twit. Some people probably will. This rule is ill advised to say the least.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Cycling in the centre of the lane in the dark with dark clothing and either no or inefficient lights on a wet night. What could possibly go wrong? Who would get the blame? The chap paying road tax to be there with all sorts of checks on his roadworthiness. Great!

T00ts

So today is the first day of the Highway Code revisions. Now I might be strange but with cyclists in the centre of the lane who is going to get out of puff first? I always feel sorry for the cyclist who has a line of cars following while he/she strains and puffs up a hill about to burst a blood vessel. Or the lycra clad would be Tour de France winner who just won't be seen to weaken as he leads the way while trying to break the sound barrier. Now he has priority I can imagine that we will be seeing far more yellow vests and bad tempers!  ;D

I do have a question. We have to give way to a pedestrian waiting at a junction. So if we are about to turn left and a pedestrian is waiting to cross as I understand it we give them right of way. Is that the same if traffic lights and a pelican crossing is involved? Our light is green the pelican is red. Who has RofW then?

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 13, 2022, 10:40:50 AM

So what do YOU think THIS means then

"The Highway Code revisions also include a new Hierarchy of Road Users, which implies automatic culpability for drivers in accidents with more vulnerable road users"

I already know what SUSTRANS want it to mean, I r and their manifesto
It does not repeal the law. The law requires cyclists to ride with due care and attention, stop at traffic lights, not ride recklessly etc.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on January 13, 2022, 10:25:43 AM
Rubbish. It says no such thing. Just get a dash cam.

So what do YOU think THIS means then

"The Highway Code revisions also include a new Hierarchy of Road Users, which implies automatic culpability for drivers in accidents with more vulnerable road users"

I already know what SUSTRANS want it to mean, I r and their manifesto
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 13, 2022, 01:12:29 AM
Go read that f**king article again. For years the cycling lobby have demanded that the car driver be deemed at fault if there is an accident between a car and a bike regardless if the bike riders illegal actions. Well they've f**king got it now. Some prick has decided if a bike shoots a f**king red light and you hit them while going through a green, it's YOUR fault.

Go on, read the article. It's right there under "automatic culpability"

f**k them. They go under my wheels now. I
Rubbish. It says no such thing. Just get a dash cam.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on January 12, 2022, 08:38:28 PM
I'm not sure what you are angry about Cromwell. There's no change to the law. It just makes it a bit clearer that you can't cut up cyclists, injuring or killing them.
Would you rather be able to cut them up when they are cycling in a straight line, minding their own business?
On the roads, we all need to look out for each other, to minimise death and injury, to keep traffic flow as hassle free as possible.

Go read that fucking article again. For years the cycling lobby have demanded that the car driver be deemed at fault if there is an accident between a car and a bike regardless if the bike riders illegal actions. Well they've fucking got it now. Some prick has decided if a bike shoots a fucking red light and you hit them while going through a green, it's YOUR fault.

Go on, read the article. It's right there under "automatic culpability"

F@@@ them. They go under my wheels now. I
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on January 12, 2022, 09:25:39 PM
I've seen both good and bad cyclists, as I have seen good and bad motorists.
Yeah the difference is motorists pay road tax,fuel duty and have insurance are traceable by the number and more easily brought to book for their transgressions.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

I'm not sure what you are angry about Cromwell. There's no change to the law. It just makes it a bit clearer that you can't cut up cyclists, injuring or killing them.
Would you rather be able to cut them up when they are cycling in a straight line, minding their own business?
On the roads, we all need to look out for each other, to minimise death and injury, to keep traffic flow as hassle free as possible.
Cycle lanes habve been provided in many areas at considerable public expense. Yet some of the arrogant tossers refuse to use them, creating slow moving mobile tailbacks instead, which far from helping cut emissions adds to them. It ought to be illegal for cyclists to use the roads anywhere where cycle lanes have been provided for them.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

I've seen both good and bad cyclists, as I have seen good and bad motorists.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

cromwell

So you've never encountered the entitled en masse preventing the said flow of traffic,ignoring traffic signals,riding through pedestrians on crossings and it's now enshrined that whatever the case they cannot be at fault.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

cromwell

I've always given way for pedestrians but this new rule change for the Lycra clad ***** pees me off,I say that as an occasional push biker.

They are arrogant tossers who care neither for pedestrians or other road users,now their arrogance is backed up by the highway code expect some aggro.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/355693/2022-highway-code-changes-cars-must-give-way-cyclists-when-turning