Changes to the highway code

Started by cromwell, January 12, 2022, 08:31:20 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

In my part of the world (and elsewhere) GMP have had a crackdown particularly on cyclists riding through red lights,this hasn't gone down well with some of the two wheeled tossers who predictably ask haven't the police better things to do.
https://road.cc/content/news/questions-asked-after-latest-red-light-jumping-crackdown-290177
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

The new rules remind me of the code of conduct on the high seas where you give way to the less able craft  . Goes something like Motor , Sail , Oar ,swimmer 

Give way being the key , nobody should act in a way that endangers anyone else or causes anyone to act in haste . All works well in theory until you add cyclists into the mix 

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on January 31, 2022, 10:11:44 AM
You have to remember that Whitehall doesn't change really no matter which colour of hypocrisy is in charge at the top. I guess things have always been the same.
I very much doubt it. I cannot after all imagine people like Theresa May or Gordon Brown presiding over such shenanigans. The tone is set from the top.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on January 30, 2022, 10:48:15 PM
Well it sounds like many of those paid to make the decisions were encouraged to do so whilst getting pissed, all part of a typical work event at Downing St. Maybe that explains things.
You have to remember that Whitehall doesn't change really no matter which colour of hypocrisy is in charge at the top. I guess things have always been the same. 

srb7677

Quote from: Good old on January 30, 2022, 07:55:49 PMHow the hell did this happen ,slip through?
Well it sounds like many of those paid to make the decisions were encouraged to do so whilst getting pissed, all part of a typical work event at Downing St. Maybe that explains things.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

There is only one answer - my next car!

papasmurf

Where I live if you give a cyclist 1.5 metres clearance when overtaking on most of the roads you will hit the built out of of stone Cornish hedge on the other side of the road.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

Quote from: Good old on January 30, 2022, 08:15:07 PM
Having had time to consider it might well have Johnson's hands all over it . Wasn't it him that introduced bicycles for hire around London. And wasn't it him that rode a bike to work daily  until not so long ago.? Of course if he did, he will only own up when the inevitable email exposes him.
I was joking mate. I doubt it has to do with Johnson but some cockhead in the Department of Transport. I guess he had a briefing to make the driver more responsible in terms of collisions with cyclists and pedestrians and his answer was a shit load of f**ked up rules that make no sense whatsoever.

Good old

Quote from: B0ycey on January 30, 2022, 08:04:27 PM
It gor signed off at one of Johnsons parties. Some guy was high and told to make some changes and didn't think it through I reckon.

Having had time to consider it might well have Johnson's hands all over it . Wasn't it him that introduced bicycles for hire around London. And wasn't it him that rode a bike to work daily  until not so long ago.? Of course if he did, he will only own up when the inevitable email exposes him.

B0ycey

Quote from: Good old on January 30, 2022, 07:55:49 PM
How the hell did this happen ,slip through? Masters of the road, and don't pay a penny in road tax, don't have to take out insurance. Don't take an expensive series of lessons . Don't take a test. And only a sideways swipe at their propensity for pavement riding to consider.  Surely this is going to creat some hassle going forward, or it should. There appears to be little or no justice in this. Did it go through on one of those afternoons when they were away or asleep?
It got signed off at one of Johnsons parties. Some guy was high and told to make some changes and didn't think it through I reckon.

Good old

How the hell did this happen ,slip through? Masters of the road, and don't pay a penny in road tax, don't have to take out insurance. Don't take an expensive series of lessons . Don't take a test. And only a sideways swipe at their propensity for pavement riding to consider.  Surely this is going to creat some hassle going forward, or it should. There appears to be little or no justice in this. Did it go through on one of those afternoons when they were away or asleep? 

T00ts

I can't quite believe it but cyclists can now legitimately undertake as well as overtake. Surely they can't have it both ways. If they are going to take centre lane like a car then why should they be allowed to zip down the inside? As drivers we are expected to have eyes in all directions as it is with more signs than sense everywhere, yet here we are presumably to be held largely accountable for poor cycling. I see disaster coming. Apparently motor organisations are starting to rally. It should have been done before the Code was settled. I read somewhere a week or so ago that only cycling clubs were consulted. Surely not?

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on January 29, 2022, 10:00:41 PM
Headline today about a group of cyclists riding centrally and in pairs. They held the queue for 8 miles periodically looking back laughing and mocking the following drivers. It's only a matter of time I'm afraid.
And that's the sort of thing a minority might do. And those two prats are going to have someone drive into them if they are not careful. After all, they can never be sure who they are holding up. Could be some violent criminal type for all they know. Or anyone with severe temper issues.