Leave means leave: Has Boris betrayed us over fishing?

Started by HallowedBrexit, January 15, 2022, 08:28:28 AM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 18, 2022, 07:49:46 AM
You keep saying it papa but its not the news coming from the quay Brixham fish market lands £43.5 million record catch | Torbay Weekly
Is the profits of a Fish Market that do all the administration work for free the same as those who trawl the sea?

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/year-since-brexit-fishermen-cornwall-say-they-were-sold-a-dream-1391517/amp

You might as well say there isn't a cost of living crisis because Aldi made record profits last year.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2022, 04:13:11 PM
Try telling that to the people dependent on fishing where I live. For them it is a disaster. They have been deliberately dumped on by Boris Johnson.
You keep saying it papa but its not the news coming from the quay Brixham fish market lands £43.5 million record catch | Torbay Weekly

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2022, 08:01:42 PM
Same post, same format, giving no facts and expecting everyone to search through your history to find what you posted or said, no wonder your posts are not taken seriously. How about some personal local facts instead of just linking to stuff you read? Is it the fact that you rarely go out and experience real life in your community  that you always have to use links?
Search the history?  I posted it earlier today in this thread.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2022, 07:41:48 PM
I have referenced the facts time after time.  It appears you can't be bothered to read them or in the case of BBC farming today listen to them. Locally to me it is a disaster for inshore fishermen/day boats, because Brexit has either put them out of business or is making it extremely hard to carry on and that is being made worse by impeding legislation.
(You have failed to look at the link I posted earlier.)
Same post, same format, giving no facts and expecting everyone to search through your history to find what you posted or said, no wonder your posts are not taken seriously. How about some personal local facts instead of just linking to stuff you read? Is it the fact that you rarely go out and experience real life in your community  that you always have to use links?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2022, 07:21:45 PM
Well you're the man on the spot. Let's have some stats and figures cause your one line rhetorical blarb doesn't proof anything. If you know the facts let's have em.
I have referenced the facts time after time.  It appears you can't be bothered to read them or in the case of BBC farming today listen to them. Locally to me it is a disaster for inshore fishermen/day boats, because Brexit has either put them out of business or is making it extremely hard to carry on and that is being made worse by impeding legislation.
(You have failed to look at the link I posted earlier.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2022, 05:34:54 PM
Nick the red tape and the extra costs involved are making next to impossible for inshore fishermen/day boats.
Well you're the man on the spot. Let's have some stats and figures cause your one line rhetorical blarb doesn't proof anything. If you know the facts let's have em. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2022, 04:44:31 PM
Brexit / Red tape doesn't stop exports, it just makes it slightly more difficult.

Nick the red tape and the extra costs involved are making next to impossible for inshore fishermen/day boats.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2022, 02:43:00 PM
Catching is about to be made a lot more difficult and how the British public could be persuaded to eat enough fresh fish/shellfish/bivalve molluscs to replace the 95%-98% that was exported before Brexit is I suspect unsolvable.
Brexit / Red tape doesn't stop exports, it just makes it slightly more difficult. 
The pandemic has stopped most of that trade and it will return but it's like talking to  a brick wall. 

Good old

Quote from: Borchester on January 17, 2022, 03:09:33 PM
It does not matter. Fishing is barely 0.03% of GDP, or 3p out of every £10 made. In future most fish will be farmed in Scotland, which means that if we hope to save our fish and chips industry we will have to start kissing the SNP's bum.
But it mattered a lot when it was well up the list of gripes for brexiteers. We live in a world where Unilever contribute far more to GDP ,I dare say . So who needs individuals , risking life, and financial ruin , now the matter of Brexit is settled. I suspect there are going to be a good many more people beyond fishermen , if not risking life ,certainly will be risking financial ruin.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 17, 2022, 03:09:33 PM
It does not matter. Fishing is barely 0.03% of GDP, or 3p out of every £10 made.
Try telling that to the people dependent on fishing where I live. For them it is a disaster. They have been deliberately dumped on by Boris Johnson.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2022, 02:43:00 PM
Catching is about to be made a lot more difficult and how the British public could be persuaded to eat enough fresh fish/shellfish/bivalve molluscs to replace the 95%-98% that was exported before Brexit is I suspect unsolvable.

It does not matter. Fishing is barely 0.03% of GDP, or 3p out of every £10 made. In future most fish will be farmed in Scotland, which means that if we hope to save our fish and chips industry we will have to start kissing the SNP's bum.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Good old on January 17, 2022, 02:20:49 PMthat whatever is supposed to improve in the catching and marketing of fish, it ain't happening.

Good old

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 17, 2022, 02:11:50 PM
If prices have dropped there must be even more fish being sold than I thought . As I said someone must be buying it . If its not the  EU then who ?
If the past throws up any  clues, maybe animal feed and fertiliser producers. Not a complete waste, but far less in the pocket of the fisherman. I eat fish a lot and it sure is not any cheaper, and for a while now less available. Not going to try to pretend I know why ,but  it's noticeable , that whatever is supposed to improve in the catching and marketing of fish, it ain't happening.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2022, 12:34:41 PM
Buying "all that fish?"  The problem is compared to before Brexit it is not much fish at all, plus prices have dropped like a stone. 

If prices have dropped there must be even more fish being sold than I thought . As I said someone must be buying it . If its not the  EU then who ?

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on January 17, 2022, 01:29:05 PM
Sheepy, we are just a small island with a rich history. The days of sending the navy in to get a trade deal sorted are over. "Frosty the no man" would never just hand anything back unless he had to. If Brexit isn't working out as you were told then perhaps question why you accepted the lie to begin with. When we can't even sell sausages to the Northern Irish because BoJo didn't understand what he signed up to and now we are sending Truss in to woo Sefcovic with a tour of Kent just to try and sort out the clusterfuck you have to question the sanity of Brexiteers for their brief the EU was going to bend over and take whatever shit we threw at them.

I would never vote for the Westminster party to organise a piss up in a brewery in the first place, which it seems on this occasion they have proved me wrong on, they could organise their own piss up, as I said you are a laugh a minute the only people who would gain in rejoining the EU would be the same few politicians who you shill for. All this dreamworld you present us with is just that, a fallacy of pure political bullshine. The EU have been caught red handed with its fingers in many pies and don't like it when they have been told to sling their hook.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!