Leave means leave: Has Boris betrayed us over fishing?

Started by HallowedBrexit, January 15, 2022, 08:28:28 AM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on January 18, 2022, 01:43:48 PM
Good point, have you told the EU and the Westminster party and the Europhiles and the people of Eire that is so?
The problem is the deal has been signed Sheepy. The EU has every single right to demand they get their own way given Frost and BoJo had no idea what they signed up to. As it happens, the EU is actually doing the UK a favor in trying to sort out the red tape just so the Northern Irish can have some frozen sausages in their freezers.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on January 18, 2022, 01:49:36 PM
It's ok sheepy, they would have learnt that in school at age 6.
LOL I don't think so and neither do you, you just said so.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on January 18, 2022, 01:43:48 PM
Good point, have you told the EU and the Westminster party and the Europhiles and the people of Eire that is so?
It's ok sheepy, they would have learnt that in school at age 6. 

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on January 18, 2022, 01:36:33 PMnot getting your own way isn't a punishment.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on January 18, 2022, 10:47:09 AM
Of course the EU are not at all interested in Gerry world. In the real world I believe Lord Frost, who says they want us to fail.
Lord Frost, that would be the lord frost that was going to sort out the EU with is unicorn ideas, who then resigned because he couldn't deliver on his silly ideas.

This would also be the lord frost who devised the 2019 "oven ready" deal that was proclaimed as the best deal ever done by human kind. Which he then resigned over because he later thought the "oven ready" deal was a shit deal and he couldn't stomach the idea that the EU were asking the UK to honour their commitment, that they came up with.

So in Frosties mind, agreeing a deal, not honouring it and the other side not bending over so you can change your commitments is the EU punishing the UK, is that it ?

You'll have to try hard if you want to show how the EU is going out of its way to punish the UK, not getting your own way isn't a punishment.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2022, 04:44:31 PM
Brexit / Red tape doesn't stop exports, it just makes it slightly more difficult.
The pandemic has stopped most of that trade and it will return but it's like talking to  a brick wall.
Seriously. You think "red tape" makes trade only slightly more difficult, really. Have you some proof of that statement, some comparison between countries that trade freely v countries with no FTA. Let the brick wall fall.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 18, 2022, 12:03:57 PM

Currently in harbour after landing its catch in Brest . Feck me they are landing fish in France then after all , seems like they are doing as they please them Cornish lads , as they should be . 
Streetwalker it was stated in the referenced material that the fishing boat was refused access to Roscoff and was sent to Brest. (That it could not land at Roscoff is no surprise to me, for reasons too numerous to list.)
The fact remains Brexit has imposed massive costs and problems to the Cornish fishing industry.

Frankly I would suggest you do not go to Newlyn and attempt your very ill informed attempts at comedy in any of the pubs by the fish dock.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on January 18, 2022, 08:47:03 AM
Cheers even the larger boats are struggling, but I knew that anyway. (I am not surprised they have trouble landing at Roscoff.)

"We lost about £12,000 worth of fish that day," Chown adds. "These days we don't land in France at all."

"Fishing has never been plain sailing. Maybe the Brexit vote among those in the industry should be no surprise."

LOL , the boys from Newlyn like a moan dont they ?  Not too keen on paperwork either are they and when they do bother to do it they have a history of lets say not being entirely honest Skippers and boat owners fined £200,000 over black fish scam | Fishing | The Guardian

Still the Spanish seem to have no problem landing fish on your doorstep papa . Not only do they land it they land it without it being recorded . Lets face it Newlyn is doing fine , they have just decided not to play ball with the legal side of the industry .
 UK-flagged Spanish-owned fishing vessels accused of landing unchecked into Newlyn (thefishingdaily.com)

Fair enough some would say 

Anyway had a look at the first boat on the list ,The Ajax a trawler out of Newlyn . Ship AJAX (Trawler) Registered in United Kingdom -
Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 8717506, MMSI 234383000, Call Sign MKFD4 | AIS Marine Traffic

Currently in harbour after landing its catch in Brest . Feck me they are landing fish in France then after all , seems like they are doing as they please them Cornish lads , as they should be .   

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on January 18, 2022, 10:44:07 AM
The Eu don't need, or want the UK to suffer. Why on earth would you think that ?  The EU isn't the slight bit interested in what the UK is or isn't doing, other than honouring it's agreements with the EU.
Of course the EU are not at all interested in Gerry world. In the real world I believe Lord Frost, who says they want us to fail.
† The end is nigh †

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2022, 11:56:51 AM
Q2 2021? We are in 12022 now, and have the fastest growing economy in the G7. How about you get with the program Gerry and stop spitting out 8 month old numbers. The fact is, the EU need us to suffer and we aren't.
So the UK getting back to where it was in feb'20, is a great thing in your books. But compared to the average of all its neighbours its languishing behind, which is not important. 

Can you show some details on this fastest growing economy. What period of time are you looking at.

The Eu don't need, or want the UK to suffer. Why on earth would you think that ?  The EU isn't the slight bit interested in what the UK is or isn't doing, other than honouring it's agreements with the EU.

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on January 18, 2022, 08:15:18 AM
https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/year-since-brexit-fishermen-cornwall-say-they-were-sold-a-dream-1391517/amp

Try now.
Cheers even the larger boats are struggling, but I knew that anyway. (I am not surprised they have trouble landing at Roscoff.)

"We lost about £12,000 worth of fish that day," Chown adds. "These days we don't land in France at all."

"Fishing has never been plain sailing. Maybe the Brexit vote among those in the industry should be no surprise."

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on January 18, 2022, 08:10:01 AM
Is the profits of a Fish Market that do all the administration work for free the same as those who trawl the sea?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/year-since-brexit-fishermen-cornwall-say-they-were-sold-a-dream-1391517/amp

You might as well say there isn't a cost of living crisis because Aldi made record profits last year.

Your link does not work. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 18, 2022, 07:49:46 AM
You keep saying it papa but its not the news coming from the quay Brixham fish market lands £43.5 million record catch | Torbay Weekly
Brixham is nowhere near where I live.  The only reason it has it has increased landing is because if you bother to read all of that link is because the port has a service filling out all the paperwork for the fishermen.  This has meant boats from a long way away are now landing at Brixham, and that catch has been lost to other ports. I would also point out £43.5 million is a tiny amount compared to the national picture. 
Locally where I live the effect of Brexit has been a disaster for inshore/day boats. A significant number ceased fishing in the first day of Brexit because export became impossible and the 95%-98% of their catch of fresh fish, live shellfish and bivalve molluscs that had been exported no longer had a market. (22 people out of a job straight away and the boats sold. The boats were collectors items.) It is impossible to make up the difference by selling to a tiny demand in Britain.
In a few weeks new regulations are being imposed on small fishing boats that they cannot afford to or are impossible for them to comply with.  I suspect locally that will mean locally inshore/day boat fishing by those small boats will cease.
About the only ones of those boats left fishing will the handful who were crowdfunded to the tune of £300000, (I unscrewed my wallet for that, in memory of a friend.) The crowd funding enabled the buildings next to the beached used by the fishermen for hundred of years to be purchased for the fishermen so they could not be sold by the leaseholder for tourist development.