Main Menu

Spoilt for choice!

Started by T00ts, January 18, 2022, 06:36:17 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on January 20, 2022, 02:21:00 PM...whilst making sure no-one is wrong on the Internet.
That is what we all come here for. Unmfortunately, most people here most of the time seem to want to insist upon being wrong. lol

But that's a good thing. Otherwise we'd all end up arm in arm around some log fire somewhere singing kumbaya, instead of debating.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

I'm not having any of this. I shall just camp out in a corner of one of my kid's homes and connect to their wi-fi, drink their wine and make daft comments whilst making sure no-one is wrong on the Internet. Dancing
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on January 18, 2022, 06:36:17 PM
There is an ongoing joke (at least I assume it is) in my family as to what point it will be best to cart me off to a home. Now much as I hope they are joking it has formed as a question in my own mind until this week. I have seen in the last couple of days that if I ship myself of to Thailand it can cost as little as £1000 a week (a friend is currently paying well over double that for her husband)  oriental ingrained care for the old that is somehow missing from our education system. Warm climes, more staff than residents and many activities giving true inspiration to succeed in extending one's life.

The other was the chance of buying an apartment on a cruise ship. Now quite how one leaves that in one's will I am not at all sure but with apartments from studio to 4 beds and price ranges from £250,000 or thereabouts to millions it is certainly of interest.

What advice would you give to someone considering these options?
My advice would be go to Thailand ,sounds great . 

The cruise ship looks like a blast until you look at the service charge .  That's going to make a dent in anyone's  pension pot 

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2022, 10:21:29 AM
The problem is of course that two thirds of them vote Tory, and probably would not do so for any Tory government that did that. So of course that will never happen. Besides which, why should lifelong British citizens be forcibly removed from the state just to save a few quid?
Having seen an in-depth program on French TV about nursing/residential homes in Thailand I don't think any force is necessary.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2022, 09:26:17 AM(Personally I think the UK government is missing a trick, they could  export British old people to Thailand and save a fortune.)

The problem is of course that two thirds of them vote Tory, and probably would not do so for any Tory government that did that. So of course that will never happen. Besides which, why should lifelong British citizens be forcibly removed from the state just to save a few quid?

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 18, 2022, 07:02:11 PM
Sorry Pappy you are right - even better. It was £1100 per month.

Even that is high. (Personally I think the UK government is missing a trick, they could  export British old people to Thailand and save a fortune.)

T00ts

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on January 18, 2022, 06:53:37 PM
That is very expensive for Thailand, about £450 a month is more like it.
Really? Even better. I am just quoting figures I saw but it looked pretty first class unless it was a month rather than a week. I'll try and find it again and check.

papasmurf

I have seen in the last couple of days that if I ship myself of to Thailand it can cost as little as £1000 a week 
That is very expensive for Thailand, about £450 a month is more like it.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 18, 2022, 06:44:48 PM
Tbh T00ts as I am clocking on I have thought about this,I don't want to be any sort of burden on my wife,nor do I want to go in a home reliant on some poor bugger wiping my backside.

i know it's against your beliefs but not mine,I'd like the option even a dog gets at the vets.
Has it occurred to you that the dog doesn't actually choose? I know what you mean though. The trouble is we put human feelings onto them when in fact I believe that as an animal approaches death in any way they are so much more pragmatic than us. I must confess though that some of the tales I am hearing from my friend's husband's care does make me worry at the prospect even though she is paying top money.
I am trying to emulate my dogs! 

cromwell

There is an ongoing joke (at least I assume it is) in my family as to what point it will be best to cart me off to a home. Now much as I hope they are joking it has formed as a question in my own mind until this week. I have seen in the last couple of days that if I ship myself of to Thailand it can cost as little as £1000 a week (a friend is currently paying well over double that for her husband)  oriental ingrained care for the old that is somehow missing from our education system. Warm climes, more staff than residents and many activities giving true inspiration to succeed in extending one's life.

The other was the chance of buying an apartment on a cruise ship. Now quite how one leaves that in one's will I am not at all sure but with apartments from studio to 4 beds and price ranges from £250,000 or thereabouts to millions it is certainly of interest.

Tbh T00ts as I am clocking on I have thought about this,I don't want to be any sort of burden on my wife,nor do I want to go in a home reliant on some poor bugger wiping my backside.

i know it's against your beliefs but not mine,I'd like the option even a dog gets at the vets.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

There is an ongoing joke (at least I assume it is) in my family as to what point it will be best to cart me off to a home. Now much as I hope they are joking it has formed as a question in my own mind until this week. I have seen in the last couple of days that if I ship myself of to Thailand it can cost as little as £1000 a week (a friend is currently paying well over double that for her husband)  oriental ingrained care for the old that is somehow missing from our education system. Warm climes, more staff than residents and many activities giving true inspiration to succeed in extending one's life.