Main Menu

Poor Tonga

Started by T00ts, January 18, 2022, 06:45:54 PM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 18, 2022, 09:03:05 PM

Good Old needs to think a bit more and do a bit more looking around

The facts as published by the world health organisation are not quite as Good Old paints.

First off, COVID has entered Tonga.

In Oct 2021 someone arriving on the island developed the symptoms. They are, to date, the only confirmed recorded case but who knows what has been missed.

The island seems well prepared though.
In the last Census (end 2020) Tonga had a little over 100,000 residents.

This is now "projected" to have grown to 107,000.

WHO records show 137,000 COVID vaccinations have been administered.

It seems the island is somewhat better prepared than Good Old suggests...

https://covid19.who.int/region/wpro/country/to

Tonga, considers its self Covid free. It is considering quarantine for some goods, let alone personnel. 
Now why would that be if it didn't consider Covid, an added threat? 
1case up to now, and they want to keep it that way. Vaccination is not fool proof, and the health system is already over stretched. They really don't need any Covid cases they will not be able to deal with.  So Good old needs think no further as the threat for the islands is real from Covid. Good luck Tonga.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 18, 2022, 06:45:54 PM
First pictures arriving now on the news are so sad. I know one or two people from Tonga and once taught the King of Tonga's God child so perhaps that makes me more sad for them. Ships are arriving now after 3 days but the runway is covered in ash and making it impossible for planes to land. 50' Tsunami is impossible to imagine!

In reality around here a fifty foot tsunami is quite easy to imagine. All you have to to is be on the banks of the River Severn at Minsterworth to witness a four star Severn bore, then picture yourself standing on Dunraven Bay Cliffs at Southerndown, between Porthcawl and Swansea, watching the spring tide and storm surge arrive in the same manner.

A four star bore is a wall of water three to five feet high. 

The spring tides with added storm surge is a change of water level of forrty four to forty eight feet in about four and a half hours.

If it arrives in one go it won't be a problem south of Lydney, but I wouldn't fancy life between Gloucester and Tewkesbury.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on January 18, 2022, 09:26:20 PM
Smurf would be a bit surprised if the Cawsand volcano suddenly burst into life.

From his posting history I cannot help feel he would welcome the impact on tourism and indeed if it barbecued a few this would be a bonus.

The satellite imagery has already appeared on at least one nutjob forum against a claim a Russian nuke or nuclear sub is the cause.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

The Tonga volcano just reminds us that there are no safe spaces on the planet. The people on La Palma had a much smaller eruption, but it marred the island for 3 months and the clean-up is virtually impossible in places.
Utterly unpredictable.
Smurf would be a bit surprised if the Cawsand volcano suddenly burst into life.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on January 18, 2022, 07:37:49 PM
Gosh I hadn't even thought of that! What an awful thought.

Good Old needs to think a bit more and do a bit more looking around

The facts as published by the world health organisation are not quite as Good Old paints.

First off, COVID has entered Tonga. 

In Oct 2021 someone arriving on the island developed the symptoms. They are, to date, the only confirmed recorded case but who knows what has been missed.

The island seems well prepared though.
In the last Census (end 2020) Tonga had a little over 100,000 residents.

This is now "projected" to have grown to 107,000.

WHO records show 137,000 COVID vaccinations have been administered. 

It seems the island is somewhat better prepared than Good Old suggests...

https://covid19.who.int/region/wpro/country/to

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on January 18, 2022, 07:20:27 PM
There appears to be a cruel irony for them.apparently they have had no Covid. Now with outsiders rushing to find ways of delivering aid, they may well be delivering Covid. And we think we have troubles.
Gosh I hadn't even thought of that! What an awful thought.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on January 18, 2022, 06:45:54 PM
First pictures arriving now on the news are so sad. I know one or two people from Tonga and once taught the King of Tonga's God child so perhaps that makes me more sad for them. Ships are arriving now after 3 days but the runway is covered in ash and making it impossible for planes to land. 50' Tsunami is impossible to imagine!

There appears to be a cruel irony for them.apparently they have had no Covid. Now with outsiders rushing to find ways of delivering aid, they may well be delivering Covid. And we think we have troubles.

T00ts