Main Menu

Did you shop?

Started by T00ts, December 27, 2019, 08:54:36 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11444 time=1577466447 user_id=87
Why don't you like Chinese people ?

Sorry, where did I say I don't like Chinese people?

I don't like the oppressive government in China, or child labour, or treating religious groups, such as Christians and Muslims, despicably. So I try not to buy Chinese made products. For some things it is not possible to find a viable alternative, which is why I'm typing on a Chinese made laptop.  :thdwn:
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11452 time=1577470814 user_id=87

One question though. You say we should be careful of any Chinese products with a wheel and an engine, so what Chinese cars do we drive in the UK ?

There are plenty of Chinese scooters and motorcycles imported into the UK. If you buy them directed in what is called Completely Knocked Down (CKD) which means you have to assemble them yourself they are VERY cheap.

Those nice people at the DVLA even have a form for registering such imports.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=11448 time=1577467185 user_id=89
Nothing wrong with Chinese people but Chinese products are something to be wary of, especially if they have wheels and an engine.

So, have a look around your house, and I would bet the place is riddled with them. Did you know iphones and many of the worlds best electronics are produced in China. I am a watch collector (sad I know) and now some of the best spec'd watches are being produced in China, at a fraction of the cost they are from Japan or Switzerland. Of course, many consumables made in China are complete crap, but it is very much a case of cost. My advice is don't write off Chinese products, study the spec, and don't expect to pay absolute peanuts. The Chinese will make what ever the market requires, and they are as capable of making top quality goods as anyone else.

One question though. You say we should be careful of any Chinese products with a wheel and an engine, so what Chinese cars do we drive in the UK ?
A hand up, not a hand out

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11444 time=1577466447 user_id=87

Nothing wrong with Chinese people but Chinese products are something to be wary of, especially if they have wheels and an engine.

Wiggles

Quote from: Barry post_id=11410 time=1577443757 user_id=51
Back to the general stuff, we shopped for grandchildren (5) in the main and didn't spend a great deal. £100 would have covered the lot. We look for bargain toys from about September onward and try to ensure they are not Chinese made.

They seemed very pleased with them.

T00ts

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=11427 time=1577454083 user_id=87
For the majority of my working life I was a senior retailer, and what I don't know about retail can be written on the back of a match box.

Sale merchandise falls into a few categories. Much of it purchased early, and has a large margin. This allows for heavy discounts come the sale period. Then there is what we affectionately referred to as crap. Simply stock that didn't sell because it wasn't popular with the public, and this could be for various reasons. This doesn't mean that there aren't genuine bargains. Retailers are inherently optimistic, and will always forecast far greater growth than they are likely to achieve. For this reason they end up buying far more stock than they need, and for this reason stock will be reduced to make room. The British public are very lucky, because most retailers are pretty useless, We would have our winter stock start to arrive in July, when it was roasting hot, and our summer stock would start to arrive in March when it was freezing cold. Before the sun had come out or it had started to get cold, respectfully, the board of directors would panic and start discounting.  Strange thing is they never learned, and would do exactly the same thing next year. Every day was groundhog day in retail. Christmas trading was another farce. When I started in retail in the 70s, we would start pushing Christmas on December 1st. The week prior to Christmas was madness, and easily trebled any other weeks trade throughout the year. Retailers became greedy, and started pushing Christmas earlier and earlier. When I left the industry in 2005, we were starting the promotions in mid October, and the January sales had moved forward to the start of December. In brief, Christmas trading had spred over two and a half months, instead of one, and people were waiting for the good to be reduced before they bought their presents. In addition to this, they thought it would be a great idea to open all the hours under the sun, and therefore increase costs.

There is one cake, it can be cut up into as many pieces as you want, but that cake can't be made bigger. That's a concept retailers have never got their head around

Yes retailers are a bit stupid. They think we don't know what they are doing. So many people complain at the mess of having the wrong items on sale in the wrong season.

Wiggles

Quote from: T00ts post_id=11381 time=1577436876 user_id=54
We spend weeks choosing suitable or much wanted presents for our nearest and dearest then lo and behold the bells hardly stop ringing than the shops are in full on spend spend spend mode with what they tell us are enticing never before offers.

Failing that we are told that the screens are fired up with a vengeance with us buying online as if there is no tomorrow.

I understand that shops are already disappointed with lower footfall but even so billions are due to pass through banks in the post Christmas spree.

Not in this house it didn't. I can think of nothing worse.  Did anyone grab a bargain? Did you save your pennies for the post Christmas splurge?

For the majority of my working life I was a senior retailer, and what I don't know about retail can be written on the back of a match box.

Sale merchandise falls into a few categories. Much of it purchased early, and has a large margin. This allows for heavy discounts come the sale period. Then there is what we affectionately referred to as crap. Simply stock that didn't sell because it wasn't popular with the public, and this could be for various reasons. This doesn't mean that there aren't genuine bargains. Retailers are inherently optimistic, and will always forecast far greater growth than they are likely to achieve. For this reason they end up buying far more stock than they need, and for this reason stock will be reduced to make room. The British public are very lucky, because most retailers are pretty useless, We would have our winter stock start to arrive in July, when it was roasting hot, and our summer stock would start to arrive in March when it was freezing cold. Before the sun had come out or it had started to get cold, respectfully, the board of directors would panic and start discounting.  Strange thing is they never learned, and would do exactly the same thing next year. Every day was groundhog day in retail. Christmas trading was another farce. When I started in retail in the 70s, we would start pushing Christmas on December 1st. The week prior to Christmas was madness, and easily trebled any other weeks trade throughout the year. Retailers became greedy, and started pushing Christmas earlier and earlier. When I left the industry in 2005, we were starting the promotions in mid October, and the January sales had moved forward to the start of December. In brief, Christmas trading had spred over two and a half months, instead of one, and people were waiting for the good to be reduced before they bought their presents. In addition to this, they thought it would be a great idea to open all the hours under the sun, and therefore increase costs.

There is one cake, it can be cut up into as many pieces as you want, but that cake can't be made bigger. That's a concept retailers have never got their head around

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=11418 time=1577448447 user_id=63
I tried to book an easyjet holiday, the "pay deposit now" page spun and spun and finally closed without confirming my booking.

Which reminds me I now need to ring barclaycard to see if there is a pending payment

With my bank, Santander, you wouldn't need to, the mobile app shows pending now. I love their IT.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

I tried to book an easyjet holiday, the "pay deposit now" page spun and spun and finally closed without confirming my booking.

Which reminds me I now need to ring barclaycard to see if there is a pending payment
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Back to the general stuff, we shopped for grandchildren (5) in the main and didn't spend a great deal. £100 would have covered the lot. We look for bargain toys from about September onward and try to ensure they are not Chinese made.

They seemed very pleased with them.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=11407 time=1577442652 user_id=51
That Panasonic has Wi-fi internet connection.

I have to go shopping for new TV to a shop, not the internet. I need a specific type of wall mounting for a new bigger TV and I have very limited space, to fit one.

A 40" TV would be too big.

(I don't want to do what a friend did, he came close to collapsing the outside wall of his bungalow.)

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=11405 time=1577442426 user_id=89
I need three USB ports. Unless the new TV has built in WIFI. The current one uses a WIFI "dongle."

(I have one device that needs a SCART port, however SCART to USB cables are available.)

That Panasonic has Wi-fi internet connection.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=11397 time=1577440626 user_id=48
There you go smurfy https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/HDTV/tx-40fs503b.specs.html">//https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/HDTV/tx-40fs503b.specs.html 2 usb and 1 lan port,I know you'll tell me it's not enough as you've set up in competition with GCHQ but you could always plug a multi usb adapter in to one port to give you more ports.

I need three USB ports. Unless the new TV has built in WIFI. The current one uses a WIFI "dongle."

(I have one device that needs a SCART port, however SCART to USB cables are available.)

Currently using three remote controllers, I am hoping to get that down to two.

cromwell

There you go smurfy https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/HDTV/tx-40fs503b.specs.html">//https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/HDTV/tx-40fs503b.specs.html 2 usb and 1 lan port,I know you'll tell me it's not enough as you've set up in competition with GCHQ but you could always plug a multi usb adapter in to one port to give you more ports.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

I have not been outside yet, let alone shop. We may go out later today to buy a bigger television as subtitles, text and the program guide seem to be designed for a  bigger screen that the 22" screen we currently have.

I am expecting problems finding a new TV with the number of USB ports I need and a LAN port.

(The current TV is not actually a TV but a security system monitor, but it was cheap.)