You populists cannot change a thing

Started by Sheepy, January 19, 2022, 01:35:25 PM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2022, 05:16:13 PM
I certainly disagree with that. The five main BBC national radio stations all offer something distinctive. Radio 1 offers popular music aimed at a younger audience. Radio 2 does the same for everyone else whose tastes are often very different. Radio 3 offers classical music. Radio 4 offers radio documentaries and dramas. Radio 5 offers phone in chats as well as sport coverage. Amalgamating any of this would end up losing something.

Sure they offer something distinctive, but none of them can't be merged. Radio 2 can have the classical music, radio one the sport on the weekend. Radio 4 the chats shows. And of course you can also merge the local Radio to spread out to more districts. 

In my opinion the state needs control of the main television channel and news outlet for national security purposes. Anything else can be scrapped. And if there is an audience for the things that can be scrapped then I guess the free market can fill in here. The freezing of the Licence will force the BBC to become sustainable. So although I suspect this was just one of BoJos distraction pledges, it will inadvertently sort out another problem which is over paid primadonnas and dead wood services.

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2022, 05:16:13 PM
I certainly disagree with that. The five main BBC national radio stations all offer something distinctive. Radio 1 offers popular music aimed at a younger audience. Radio 2 does the same for everyone else whose tastes are often very different. Radio 3 offers classical music. Radio 4 offers radio documentaries and dramas. Radio 5 offers phone in chats as well as sport coverage. Amalgamating any of this would end up losing something.
Yes, but there are so many commercial stations, classic FM would cover Radio 3, Talk Radio, LBC, and others cover radio 5, Any pop station could cover radio 1 - and Radio 2 and radio 4 I might retain, but they may need to be renumbered. ;D
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: B0ycey on January 20, 2022, 12:35:34 PMAnd national radio can amalgamate.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

B0ycey

It is a shortfall of £285mn shortfall over 5 years @Borchester. But in any case, the BBC should be a platform to promote careers and not keep high profile figures in place. Gary Lineker should have gone to Sky years ago and other careers should have been started in his place. But even so, there are savings to be made from the BBC because the service goes beyond what it needs to offer. We don't need online TV channels or channels that start at 7pm. And national radio can amalgamate.

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on January 20, 2022, 11:49:58 AM
There'll get a large chunk of that shortfall by getting rid of Gary Lineker, Chris Evans and anyone else on a seven figure sum. Plus you can get rid of all the shitty channels that nobody watches and slim down their radio portfolio. It was a good call to freeze the license fee. Not so much that I think it is a good idea to privatise the BBC but simply because the BBC need to slim down and get rid of expensive dead wood.
The BBC needs to earn 5 billion pounds per annum . Sacking Lineker and Evans is just turning wandering around turning off the lights to save a few bob on the lecky bill.

The BBC's problem is that it makes the TV it wants not what the public want to watch.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 20, 2022, 11:20:56 AM
This prompted a memory I found surprising in tbe to extreme.

Last night the BBC did its usual bullshit with the yesterday so many people died within 28 days of a positive test ....

I've said for a while that this BS includes anyone dying of anything. It's true. The guy who was drunk off his face walking up the middle of the A467 and unsurprisingly run over by a truck about six months ago had tested positive the week before and as therefore counted in the COVID deaths ....

But yesterday the mantra changed. Yesterday while reciting the bullshit for the slot, the newsreader stated there were xyz deaths of people who within the last 28;days reported a positive test, but those are d aths from any reason and do not necessarily mean they died from, or as a result of, COVID.

Bloody hell. A culture secretary lays out how the been is losing its licence fee scam and the day after they restart proper factual journalsism ! Whatever next !!

Constant frigging battle, is what it is. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on January 20, 2022, 11:43:31 AM
I am a naive sort of chap and don't think that it has anything to the licence fee being frozen for two years, which (taking into account inflation) means an 8%-10% cut.

Some folk might think that it is no use kicking the BBC up the backside, because it is still a largely lefty, middle class organisation and to be honest, it is something they rather enjoy. But hit Auntie in her wallet and things are different.....:)

There'll get a large chunk of that shortfall by getting rid of Gary Lineker, Chris Evans and anyone else on a seven figure sum. Plus you can get rid of all the shitty channels that nobody watches and slim down their radio portfolio. It was a good call to freeze the license fee. Not so much that I think it is a good idea to privatise the BBC but simply because the BBC need to slim down and get rid of expensive dead wood.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 20, 2022, 11:43:31 AM

Some folk might think that it is no use kicking the BBC up the backside, because it is still a largely lefty, middle class organisation and to be honest, it is something they rather enjoy. But hit Auntie in her wallet and things are different.....:)
Really, it went right wing ages ago, and does no longer reports on matters it should be reporting about.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 20, 2022, 11:20:56 AM

Last night the BBC did its usual bullshit with the yesterday so many people died within 28 days of a positive test ....

I've said for a while that this BS includes anyone dying of anything. It's true. The guy who was drunk off his face walking up the middle of the A467 and unsurprisingly run over by a truck about six months ago had tested positive the week before and as therefore counted in the COVID deaths ....

But yesterday the mantra changed. Yesterday while reciting the bullshit for the slot, the newsreader stated there were xyz deaths of people who within the last 28;days reported a positive test, but those are d aths from any reason and do not necessarily mean they died from, or as a result of, COVID.

Bloody hell. A culture secretary lays out how the been is losing its licence fee scam and the day after they restart proper factual journalsism ! Whatever next !!

I am a naive sort of chap and don't think that it has anything to the licence fee being frozen for two years, which (taking into account inflation) means an 8%-10% cut.

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on January 19, 2022, 09:27:36 PM
Sorry SW but you are also in for a surprise

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10419203/Sadiq-Khan-says-Londoners-wearing-masks-Tube-buses-Boris-Johnson-ends-rule.html
SW is right Ollie. No one is taking any notice of poor old Saddo. Frankly, his best chance of survival is to throw a drunken party at County Hall. He will get a terrible shellacking from the press, but at least he will appear human and that can't do any harm to his re election prospects.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sheepy on January 19, 2022, 07:32:29 PM
On the ball as always Ducky, how many people die in a normal day and how many died of Covid? as it seems nobody dies of anything but Covid these days. No winter flu no Cancer or anything else it seems.

I've said for a while that this BS includes anyone dying of anything. It's true. The guy who was drunk off his face walking up the middle of the A467 and unsurprisingly run over by a truck about six months ago had tested positive the week before and as therefore counted in the COVID deaths ....

But yesterday the mantra changed. Yesterday while reciting the bullshit for the slot, the newsreader stated there were xyz deaths of people who within the last 28;days reported a positive test, but those are d aths from any reason and do not necessarily mean they died from, or as a result of, COVID.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sheepy on January 19, 2022, 11:06:05 PM
Dunno, sounds like Khan fancies himself as king of the jungle.
He be more Hyena than Lion 

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 19, 2022, 10:41:11 PM
Talks cheap cromwell , Ive been on public transport over the pandemic and mask wearing hasnt been enforced nor highly supported . Now Boris has said its over its over whatever Khant says . We do tend to ignore the Tw** as much as possible .
Dunno, sounds like Khan fancies himself as king of the jungle. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on January 19, 2022, 09:27:36 PM
Sorry SW but you are also in for a surprise

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10419203/Sadiq-Khan-says-Londoners-wearing-masks-Tube-buses-Boris-Johnson-ends-rule.html
Talks cheap cromwell , Ive been on public transport over the pandemic and mask wearing hasnt been enforced nor highly supported . Now Boris has said its over its over whatever Khant says . We do tend to ignore the T@@@ as much as possible . 

Barry

Khan thinks the unseen can be stopped by what he sees. He sees a physical barrier and reckons it stops the virus coming through. 
I'm not sure how we got to the point where people of this understanding get to be mayor of one of the best cities in the world.
† The end is nigh †