Meanwhile in other news

Started by Sheepy, January 21, 2022, 12:41:25 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on January 21, 2022, 12:56:57 PM
Pesky faulty munitions. Danger UXB!
My Dad got bombed only once in the war, it was the Yanks that bombed him and the Brits. Gung ho is not strong enough.
I once read an amusing account of a true friendly fire incident in Sicily in July 1943. Any Germans observing from over the hill would surely have been most entertained.

A column of advancing American tanks got mistaken for retreating Germans by a squadron of US ground attack aircraft and came under attack from them. The tank men realised that these were their own planes and fired up recognition flares and all sorts. The planes assumed it was Germans trying to trick them and continued shooting up the tanks. The tankmen then decided, to hell with this and started firing back. So now we had the spectacle of American planes bombing American tanks, with those tanks firing back at the planes. A full scale shoot out, lol. Before the planes flew off, the tank men managed to actually shoot down one of them, lol. The pilot ejected unscathed and unharmed - until the tankmen got hold of him - at which point he suffered a number of injuries including a cracked rib and a couple of black eyes, lol.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

This thread has been a bit of a show stopper.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on January 21, 2022, 12:56:57 PM
My Dad got bombed only once in the war, it was the Yanks that bombed him and the Brits. Gung ho is not strong enough.

Dorniers, V1s and V2s were grandad's bane and same for dad in his pre-teen and teen years 

Most if the stuff he had to duck in later years was russian or sold by them.

I've only ever had to dodge one shower of bullets. Fired by a yank cleaning his weapon. The weapon was a light armoured vehicle. Fortunately I had one of ours between me and him. The plink plink noises were still unhealthy to listen to.

A couple of squaddies found me on my knees the other side of the warrior grubbing at the dirt with my bare hands. They might have smirked a bit but they knew better than to laugh
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

My Dad got bombed only once in the war, it was the Yanks that bombed him and the Brits. Gung ho is not strong enough.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!